IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

des Rätsels lösung is close...I suspect the SFP I'm using is a multi mode...cisco glc-sx-mm 30-1301-02...how it initially seemed to work is a mystery to me, but now I know I need to wait for the Finisar's to arrive🤐

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

an epiphany, the batch of Finisar SFP 1321 BTL I last ordered arrived first, after a lot of juggling around it now works. They are currently warming up and starting their break in...tonight when I'm done roasting some coffee I'll do a quick listen. It's hard to compare against a week or longer ago with the multimode SFPs but I trust that a large difference will be noticeable. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

after a longer listening the first impression is confirmed but in addition to that it seems there is an overall sort of decompression effect going on. Where the low end in my system left little to the imagination definition in the (ultra) low end got better.

I LIKE what I'm hearing a LOT, especially knowing this is streaming from the internet (Tidal, and I know Qobuz is better...I will switch to Qobuz once the Tidal subscrition runs out in a few weeks) !

@exocer

Is the result so close that you're still A-Bing or are you so baffled with the sound ? ;-)

(just curious about what your findings are)

6 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

@exocer

Is the result so close that you're still A-Bing or are you so baffled with the sound ? ;-)

(just curious about what your findings are)

@MarcelNL 

They are very different from each other. Both provide low noise floor but the Xilinx is a bit better in this regard. The Startech sounds a bit more musical and the Xilinx is more clean/precise so far. Lets give the card more time to break in. I did switch to my Planet SFPs to clean my pallet and because I did not like the 1321s with the Xilinx out of box. I will switch the Finisars in today as the sound of card is changing for the better as time goes on.

Note: I use a larger and brand new adapter for the Xilinx card so that too may require some settling in. 

Will give further updates as things progress.

Sweet, thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

The Xilinx needs a full size PCI slot, my MB only has 2 of those...I may have to stick the PF card in the 1x slot when the Xilinx gets here...

17 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I think a riser cable is very unfavorable. I prefer a direct connection.

All eight PCIe lanes are used for data connection to the CPU, so a slot with a direct connection to the CPU is recommended.

RSS uses all 16 logical processors of my i9-9900K CPU. Activation of hyper-threading is required!

There are other recommendations:

- Interrupt moderation
Disable in Network Adapter’s Advanced Properties.

- Max frame size
Configure to maximum supported by network in Network Adapter's Advanced Properties.

- Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
RSS is enabled by default for best networking performance. It is best to set the maximum number of RSS queues to be equal to the maximum number of RSS CPUs.

Thanks! I keep my i9 9900k Hyper Threading activated at all times. My server runs on Euphony so I am not sure how to apply some of the recommendations but will look into it.

Yes, the more I think about it the more I realize this build deserves a full ATX board. That will be in the cards soon.

For now, it is using a riser cable. Perhaps the Startech is a better chose for those with Mini-ITX boards...maybe not. Time will tell. 

@StreamFidelityinteresting !

Is best networking performance needed for day to day audio streaming? I mean, can the difference be heard ? Just wondering, 1Gbit or even 10Gbit (depending on which FSP module is used) is much faster than a what a 'regular' stream would need right?I'm not referring  to server to rendered traffic using f.e. DSD512 data streams, but more regular Tidal or Qobuz streams. 

16 threads required for a bit of networking almost sounds as if there is a lot of overhead.

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Is best networking performance needed for day to day audio streaming? I mean, can the difference be heard ?

Define best networking performance. What's the best? Jitter-free? Free from noise? High bandwidth? Speed? I think we want a bit of everything. Reclocking also reduces jitter and the lowest possible latencies. 

That's why I use media converters and switches modified with special Sellarz Clocks. Others use EtherRegen or something similar. Solarflare 8522 has a Stable Precision Oscillator Stratum 3 compliant.

1Gbit or even 10Gbit (depending on which FSP module is used) is much faster than a what a 'regular' stream would need right?

Glass fiber is the perfect galvanic isolation and blocks the high frequency noise. 10GBit/s are better than 1GBit/s are better than 100MBit/s. Some say because there are more reserves and higher data bursts are possible. For DSD and NAA I need 1GBit/s, because with 45GBit/s half of a 100MBit/s connection would be occupied. I talked about the bandwidth and not about the speed!

16 threads required for a bit of networking almost sounds as if there is a lot of overhead.

Speed is expressed in latencies. In other words, the ability to process input and output in a very short time. And with that I come to the end of my short presentation. The Solarflare card is used in high-frequency trading on the stock exchange, where a decision is made between profit and loss in a split second. We also need the lowest possible latencies for our audio PC, because this drastically reduces jitter. Less jitter means in audio more SQ.

In order to keep the latency low, RSS over 16 lines is so important, because 16 x parallel data processing is possible. Therefore, there are sometimes problems with the temperatures, because the Solarflare FPGA chip has a lot of computing power.

12 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

For DSD and NAA I need 1GBit/s, because with 45GBit/s half of a 100MBit/s connection would be occupied.

A typo, it should read 45MBit/s

look what the mail brought me today, now to find out if it works from scratch in Daphile or not 

(after I figure out how to accomodate three quite thick PCIe cards in the three slots available on the MB 

20210125_172547.jpg

thanks guys, I'm, afraid however that I need to follow the Linux for dummies part A training when Daphile does not support it straight away...I have a fundamental understanding of how it all works but have never worked with Linux/Unix...so sorting out adding a driver to a packaged OS may be beyond me for a while...

Will report on where I am after installing the card. 

edit: no dice....the three cards don't have enough space.

Given that the PF is approx two slots wide and the graphics card and Xilinx card need a full size PCIe slot the PF I2S will likely need a riser to work on MB and case...

So as all shops are closed it'll be a couple of days until I can test this after mail ordering a riser.

will try sticking the graphics card (Daphile works headless anyhow but the MB needs the GPU to boot) in a 1x to 16x riser, so the PF and Xilinx cards can have a proper slot...we'll see..

received the riser card today, only to discover it has at least two damaged circuit board/connector traces of the sort that likely never will come out of the connector on the MB once inserted/jammed in there. A new one is on its way.

An interesting feature of this riser card is two capacitors of 100uf on each side of the 16x adapter, likely to buffer power compensating for the lead length, something I wonder about adding to the power cables from the PSU to the MB. 

I have a hunch that adding some very nice NOS specialty caps may do wonders for silencing noise picked up underway and at the same time provide a small buffer for power peaks. My experience so far with EMI shielding of the power cables is good, there must be more to be gained in that segment.

7 hours ago, Exocer said:

@MarcelNLdid you purchase the "onload" version?

@Exocer I don't think so, is there a way to distinguish between the versions? I got the one showing in the picture showing a bit earlier in this thread.

reading the leaflets it seems that the difference is software being enabled, likely by programming an eeprom different or something, so the main difference is probably only in numbering showing on the circuit board.