IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

44 minutes ago, Allan F said:

IMO, George, you are being far to kind to those people, and I suggest that you are attributing an undeserved favourable interpretation to their posts. Unlike you, who is prepared to accept the existence of these differences although you are unable to offer an explanation for them, they tend to adopt a very different approach. Not only do they insist that there can be no such sonic differences, but they also maintain that there is, in fact, no possible sonic difference. Moreover, they tend to ridicule anyone who suggests that there is, and declare that anyone who does so is deluding himself/herself.

As I said earlier, there is no excuse for incivility on any subject. Having said that, I do understand their extreme skepticism. Cables are passive, not active components. That means that any alteration of sound attributable to cables, be that alteration on an analog cable or a digital cable, is caused because something in the signal is being SUBTRACTED from that signal, as cables, by definition, cannot add anything. I know that Ethernet cables and USB cables change the sound because I’ve heard it. I suspect that these naysayers of which we speak here, have not heard it. When you haven’t experienced a phenomenon, and that phenomenon, by all knowledgeable accounts SHOULDN’T HAPPEN, it’s easy to attribute it to some non-system based cause like one’s imagination, or perhaps a willingness to lie for reasons of self-aggrandizement. 
After years of denial, I started to notice, for instance, that every different USB cable I tried sounded different. I became so frustrated by this (and technology’s inability to explain it) that I purged USB from my system where possible I now use only SPDIF for digital (and mostly Toslink, at that) because I have found that SPDIF does not change the sound from cable to cable (either coax or Toslink). I realize that Toslink limits me to a 96KHz sampling rate, but I think that higher than that just   Makes the file size bigger without providing (for me, anyway) a concomitant increase in SQ (diminishing returns, and all that). As usual, YMMV!

George