IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

26 minutes ago, Mags said:

Thanks, Peter. I invite you to come listen to the devastation I have wrought in my system if you're ever in New Jersey. Such devastatingly beautiful sound.

My amps are also all choke input, two stage, direct-coupled, SET. 2.3kV on the big output tube plate. Have a look:

20210409_160648.jpg

20210315_173006.jpg

Happy to find an Audiophile in the tri-state area! Nice setup 😎

9 minutes ago, Mags said:

Thanks! I'm usually on DIYAudio in the TubeDIY forum but I'm interested in upgrading my source to a SOTA music server, so I'm here browsing and learning. 

I'm in Central NJ in the Somerville/Bridgewater area.

Youre certainly in the right place! It truly is astonishing how much improvement can be obtained by upgrading one's source. I'm Manhattan based.

Cheers,

-Rob

6 minutes ago, realDHT said:

The PSU box for my music server (although the CPU choke isn't really visible in this image (it's hidden below the softstart board in back righthand side) psu_server.thumb.jpg.532bc3f12ae4f771fac1989381824294.jpg

Very clean work. Are you comfortable sharing information about the specs and topology?

Cheers,

-Rob

14 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Yep, I re-tweaked all the config to be as equal as posible as my last version, which it was  to the same but i could at least check on the similar.

I was trying to avoid the "download the file to USB" path and I thought it was as plain as pushing the Flash back button 

How long has your system been online since updating the bios and reverting to your previous settings?

1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

It is not easy for someone to “switch” between L input and C input…. If simply put in and take out the C from psu.. the resultant voltage will be largely different..

and even given the same resultant voltage… the design and construction of the choke for L input choke and C input are very different….so there is no easy switch… or the test result will be less than optimal in either cases

i believe it is a matter of taste for choke input and cap input psu…(talking about properly designed and executed) 

the presentations are quite different

In my diy venture… i first started with cap input… and later tried on choke input and could never go back….so L input for me as far as practicable

Thanks for sharing. It would be great to hear about the differences you've perceived, going from C input to L input LPS's in your experience.

Nenon… we were talking about Choke input psu yesterday… it is a total different story from capacitor input psu

Not to be argumentative but I was confused by some of your feedback. You mentioned choke size being too small around the time several of us posted pics of our CLC Unregulated LPS's. Glad this is cleared up and that perhaps the topology of those pics you saw was misunderstood at the time of your feedback. 

@Nenon - I did not realize the Noratels shipped. FOMO is settling in....Is it worthwhile to "upgrade" to it if you already have the Toroidy Supreme v2? What does the 5% improvement afford you?

Cheers,

-Rob

15 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

you have to understand what psu topology is being used and what Is being discussed here in order not to be confused =)

😁 I understood what topology was being used... I was certainly not confused about that aspect. More confused about your suggestion of changing one component in a circuit with an entirely different design than your own. Hence why I waited for Nenon's follow up before purchasing a larger choke, and purchasing the same 5A choke again to expand to V3. No hard feelings though...

19 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

but in either psu topologies, i dont see, measure or simulate, any overshoot, ringing issue by using high current choke…

Interesting. Maybe an opportunity for us all to learn from each other 😎. That's what this place is about.

Cheers,

-Rob

My suggestion of a change of higher amp choke is still valid for Nenon’s cap input supply…

my cap input design is still transformer > rectifier > c1 > choke > c2

Very similar right? Just plain more simple i would say..

i have built over a hundred of this CLC topology psu for audio purpose for myself and my friends and i never encountered the issues mentioned by Nenon.. 

If these high current vs low current choke discussions has to be continued….perhaps Nenon shall share his findings of overshoot, ringing, burn out taiko issue more clearly.. 

what transformer secondary voltage was used? Which rectifier bridge? which high current choke(s) was tried? What were the symptoms of overshoot, ringing? How they were measured? Or even showing simulation screenshots would be helpful for troubleshooting

All really good questions! 

Moving onto the chassis. I have measured all of the parts for V3 using all 22,000uf Mundorf HC caps and it is a snug fit in this enclosure:

https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

This enclosure is similar in size to the HDPlex H5 V2 many of us are using.

Going to order it and test it in the coming week. Worst case scenario I will be forced to swap out two Mundorf 22,000uF caps for a single 47,000uF cap to save space.

Cheers

Just now, Mags said:

With an i9 9900K overclocked to 4.6GHz, do you still run into issues with some HQP filters and modulators? 

Good question.

I should have mentioned I do not upsample. I mostly use Euphony Stylus to stream at default sample rates or for PGGB file playback. I occasionally use HQPlayer but mostly to check whether it sounds better than Euphony stylus (at default sample rates).

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

For the people have done building Unregulated power supply for the Taiko DC-ATX, what transformer secondary voltage output you are using for your build?  I recall somewhere Nenon mentioned higher voltage will provide better sounding, but can't recall what the optimum output should be, and I am thinking to order a transformer that will provide close to 40V of output.

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

@Exocer? I believe it’s 36v is optimal but Rob can confirm. 

Transformer secondary we used is 24VAC. After rectifier it gives around 36.5-37VDC

3 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

duelund tin plated wires in cotton

I enjoyed this same wire in other areas of my system. I no longer use it but liked it very much!

5 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

Transformer - custom made from my local partner supplier up to my standard and requirements

Choke - best materials available for this purpose in the market, hand assembled and adjusted with my hands

Capacitors - selected from my years of experience in my diy journey and favourable feedback from friends… they had gone through my proprietary treatments for better performance

Cable - wires are copper core and also selected from my experience…

@Soul Analogue- Interested in learning more. Would you be interested in sharing pricing publicly or would that be best handled over PM? Do you ship to the US?

Thanks,

-Rob

8 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

hi Rob

I believe any deals should be handled privately.. in order not to violate forum rules 

feel free to discuss in PM 😀

Acknowledged. I will PM you when ready to experiment! Would really like to hear your work. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Been busy today!!! 

Added a few copper pipes! 

Heatpipes is a rough job! Just bent them with my hands! Could of added a 4th but ran out of paste! 

Temps are around 29c @ 3.7gHz i9 10900k. Previously 31c

You’ll also see I had to extend my H5 case. It’s sitting in Panzerholz wood. My mobo is ATXE board. So had to make space for Taiko ATX (it’s now screwed straight into the Panzerholz wood. 

E02AF68D-4319-4E0A-B60E-1961FB13E6A0.jpeg

Excellent job! The extension of the chassis worked out very well. The Panzerholz must help a lot with keeping vibrations to a minimum. Solid build!

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting the picture of your V3 ULPS, it looks very nice.  One thing I noticed that you have 7 main caps in your ensure, but Nenon's V3 description show a total of 5 in CLCLCCC configuration.  Could you comment on the two extra main caps in yours?

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Good question. I just did things a bit differently:

image.thumb.png.075fc42e5eb4fad05a46d972e0142a39.png

So in that portion of the circuit I went with 5 22,000uF caps instead of 2x 47,000 + 1x22,000uF. I wanted to emulate the way @Nenonconfigured his V3. I'm sure either will sound great. In retrospect, going with 2x 47,000 + 1x22,000uF would probably have saved a significant amount of enclosure space and you end up with more capacitance (110,000uF vs 116,000uF) in the last portion of the circuit.

Hope this helps,

-Rob

16 hours ago, derBen said:

Hi,

I just finished my second DIY Audiio Server and I would like to share some impressions.

I'm running a Aaeon Mini-ITX board with 16GB Apacer Ram, a 250GB Samsung 980Pro M.2 SSD and a Intel i7 9700T CPU.

For the connections I use JCAT FEMTO cards: USB and NET.

The operating system is Euphony OS running ROON.

The server is built into two cases:

- One external PSU regulating 16V + 16V + 9V + 7V from a custom 400 VA toroid

- The main case containing the local PSU (regulating 12V + 12V + 5V + 3,3V) and the computer components

Both cases have the same shape and dimensions, only the button in the front is missing in the PSU case.

What dio you think?

Ben

IMG_20210319_104125.jpg

IMG_20210319_104134.jpg

IMG_20210325_165242.jpg

IMG_20210526_215201.jpg

IMG_20210527_120538.jpg

IMG_20210911_094311.jpg

IMG_20210911_095651.jpg

IMG_20210911_095751.jpg

IMG_20210914_151138.jpg

IMG_20210914_151208.jpg

IMG_20210914_151605.jpg

IMG_20210914_151711.jpg

IMG_20210914_151739.jpg

This is just awesome on a whole new level. Great work! I was proud of my CAD work on the rear panel of my Slimline 3u but this is in another league entirely. Kudos.

We have the Taiko chassis coming (which I do not know if I can afford), but having other options for dual Xeon builds would be phenomenal. Would you have any interest in working on a larger chassis? I would be willing to chip in any way I can...

Cheers,

-Rob