IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Thanks @Nenon.  Yes, I suspect the predictions using PSUD2 are not accurate enough for ripple down at this level.

Would you be able to make comment on the use of two, vs a single choke and the chokes mH?  After all chokes are not a free lunch and do cause a drop in voltage.

Also interested in the more specific use expensive caps/bypass cap at the end of the chain.  You ever tried mixing it up to get a better price point, whilst trying to retain most of the perceived benefits.  Or does mixing the quality of caps just have a fundamental knock on effect that cannot be countered later?

8 hours ago, JJSim said:

IIRC it has been mentioned the Noratel transformer has its own internal soft start circuitry, hence the suggestion to omit the Hypex soft start module when using that transformer. This is an important clarification, as one should continue to utilize the Hypex soft start module with different transformer brands.

Can anyone expand on the "Build-in thermo switch" - not come across this before and it sound's like a great feature and potentially useful for other projects.  I assume it's just an NTC thermistor?

23 minutes ago, elan120 said:

As a follow up, I have the Opto USB running for about two weeks, and it is setup as JCAT XE>Opto Sender>Opto Receiver>Phoenix>USB Cable.  This setup does help to elevate my system SQ up another notch, where the overall clarity, definition noticeably got better, and a level of harshness that I didn't know was there got removed.  Overall, a very good investment that is worth keeping.

I also tried removing and re-installing the Phoenix couple times, and I like it in the chain better, so this likely be the long term setup for now.  I also tested the power supply on the Opto Receiver with Keces and JS-2 I have available at the moment, and JS-2 is the better choice.

This is my current reference as well

Thanks all.

Since the Taiko DC-DC and the HDPlex both use a six pin Molex as the only means of getting power into them, what’s the best way for me to connect to it?

1.  Maintain 6 wires continuously from the SMPS440 power supply using the 6pin Molex, which is then routed externally to the chassis via a 6 Pole Neutrik, into the 6 pin Molex on the DC-DC.

2.  As is currently the situation, use the pair of screw terminals on the SMPS-440 take a pair of wires, through the the chassis, then out via a Neutrik 4 pole.  Once inside the music server chassis terminate these 4 wires into the 6 pin Molex.

OR

3.  As above, but feed all 6pins of the Molex by using a commoning block (or similar) to provide a connection to all 3 positive pins and 3 GND pins on the Molex.

Thanks

6 hours ago, IRS2092 said:

Hey!

That looks really good, my friend MICRA-P5 is running perfectly and improved the sound by miles.

My custom linear supply from MicroAudio is being made for the Chord Dave DAC at a very good price point!

I wont pay 9000$!

Did you test that supply for the HDPLEX DC DC ?

Thanks

I will be, it’s only just shipped out and I’ll have to make the umbilical cord as well.  Will post up my findings.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

@Johnseyeare you sure you want to have an upgrade this expensive on that MoBo? More direct power phases matter IME,

Thumbs up to this - I really don’t think a MSI B550 Tomahawk is the best option for considering an expensive clock upgrade to.

Once you have a clock upgrade (whichever MB you decide upon) you will have to decide through listening which PCI connection sounds best to you, but as a general rule CPU direct is the way to go.

Plenty of MB recommendations here on Audiophilestyle.

4 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I've come across flat heatpipes on Ali, but never examined them closer. WOW acetone filled aluminium, why not copper?

Bit strange that the specs say the length does not matter for the max power transfer.

Yes the thermal resistance appears to be fixed, still ultimately limited by the thermal resistance of the final heat sink.  But these flat heat pipes could be used to join heat sinks on opposite sides together as well…?

A lot easier to DIY as well - opens up the ability to easily use any off the shelf heat sink.

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Looking further into this, Thermal Conductivity w/mk 5~6 is not so good for CPU cooling - really only good if you want to cool a 5-10w part.  Could have applications in other areas though.  

The flat heat pipes are still of interest though.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, Exocer said:

Speaking of actual listening, I’ve done just that with the Mundorf Angelique 15awg solid core wire over the last 24 hours. It is currently used between the ULPS (V3) and Taiko DC-ATX module.

There have been some changes over the last two days. I will say outright that the breakin process has been nothing but pleasant and it extracts a bit more detail than the Solid core Neotech Teflon insulated wire it replaced. Where it really walks away from the Neotech is dynamics. I am not saying the difference is night and day but worthwhile. Overall, the sound is more enjoyable with this wire.

Do I suggest replacing all Neotech with this wire? No, but in critical areas there are definitely some benefits in doing so. The Oyaide wire I’m using with the ULPS works really well but I have not compared it to other solutions in that usecase. Neotech Teflon Insulated solid core 15awg wire sounded better than the Oyaide wire in The few DC cables I built.

Do I think the Angelique dethrones Mundorf Sg? I can’t quite answer that yet since I do not have the right cables to test this yet. Keep you posted!

I am comfortable giving it a recommendation if SG is out of your league price wise and you want a taste of the magic sauce lol.

Also a pleasant surprise: Mad Scientist Graphene contact enhancer. I prefer it to the Furutech Nano Liquid. Particularly with my unplated copper contacts. I know others have suggested silver contact enhancer but I forget the brand. Will need to do some digging.

Happy listening folks! Let’s all listen and enjoy.

@matthias - what are you listening with these days? Do you have an Extreme? You know a lot about their gear 😎

Tip with the Angelique - purchase the bare wire and ptfe sheathing separately.  Way cheaper than factory insulated.

Also have a look at Antrans.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

the problem there is that Optane may not be enough to compensate for the drawbacks of using a NUC...19V power vs dedicsated CPU power, less computing power, MB not laid out and designed for high power... etc,

Oh indeed... and also that embedded processors are not likely to be the best options.

• 2 weeks later...