IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 minute ago, JackJohnson316 said:

Will the Taiko USB card work in a DIY Extreme clone? If so I'm interested too. I thought I read Taiko had to make custom drivers for every dac, so if my dac isn't on the driver list I'm not sure it would work.

Yes, the card itself should work fine. However, the drivers seem to be the main sticking point. I believe they are highly customized and this is the primary reason why Taiko doesn't want to release them or sell the USB card to non Extreme owners. I don't necessarily blame them, but it won't stop me from begging incessantly haha. 

I've been pining, searching, begging and emailing and since last July with zero luck:-(

34 minutes ago, Kuba7777 said:

thank you very much for your answer. Yesterday I configured ProcessLasso almost exactly like you. I assigned everything I could regarding the Windows system and the ProcessLasso program to CPU 1. However, some processes, such as: service.exe, system.exe, registry, csrss.exe, svchost.exe, wininit.exe, I could not assign only to CPU 1. Roon, HQPleyer and all related services to CPU 2. I just don't know how to assign the ASIO driver?

You are quite welcome and thanks for sharing your configs as well!

The ASIO driver is usually a stand-alone piece of software that runs like any other application, though Windows doesn't typically come with a driver pre-installed. You can get an open-source driver here: https://asio4all.org/ but I would HIGHLY recommend downloading and installing the purpose-built driver directly from your DAC manufacturer. In my case, I'm running a T+A DAC 200, so this is what my ASIO configuration looks like (see attached). After you've downloaded and installed your ASIO driver, assign the CPU I/O, Mem, etc. values like any other program - done!

PL ASIO Driver 2.jpg

PL ASIO Driver.jpg

PL ASIO Driver 3.jpg

5 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

In the case of the Extreme, CPU 1 has direct affinity to all music I/O (network, USB, storage), with CPU 2 delegated to OS I/O. By delegating system and music processes to cores on the appropriate CPU, Emile is able to achieve an optimal balance for sound quality.

If I understand correctly, it is better to assign all processes of the Windows operating system and the ProcessLasso program to CPU 2, and services related to audio Roon, HQPlayer, ASIO driver to CPU 1?

7 hours ago, Romaniac said:

This is not your ASIO driver. This process is settins panel of your driver. You can easily kill it and listen your music.  

Yes, this is just the front-end application for the ASIO driver running under the OS. I didn't want to pedantically split hairs and confuse the guy. 

Any recommendations for a case to house the Asus WS C621E Sage motherboard with two Xeon 4210 cpus (Taiko Extreme DIY clone)? I'm looking to buy a temporary case (hopefully cheap) while I wait on HDPLEX to come out with their case that will house the clone. I'm thinking about popping two passive heatsinks on top of the two cpus: 

https://www.newegg.com/dynatron-b12/p/N82E16835114151

Thanks for any help.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/introducing-olympus-olympus-i-o-a-new-perspective-on-modern-music-playback.37939/page-21#post-932339

We’re using a 4th gen AMD Epyc. This is actually a quad CPU centered around an I/O die on a single socket and can be utilised in the same way we do with the dual CPUs of the Extreme.

While we only have a limited number of motherboards available for now, we could still aim for a fanless config with either 8 or 16 cores

https://servers.asus.com/products/servers/server-motherboards/S14NA-U12

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/siena/

wENAiTO.jpeg

e7iJSSM.jpeg

Question is why would we?

If you read the thread through I read between the lines that Taiko needed to replace the Xeon design as the Silver CPU is no longer available in the quantities they need but that they researched and found this solution to sound quite similar, not better than Sage plus dual Xeon.

As Xeon Silver CPU's are pretty sturdy used CPUs should prove value for money for the DIY community IMHO.

BTW: I seem to have forgotten the magic word to get an NVME in an NVME to PCI adapter to be seen in BIOS, it was a combination of CPU storage setting (not data, so two options left) and formatting to the right boot system and OS...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

BTW: I seem to have forgotten the magic word to get an NVME in an NVME to PCI adapter to be seen in BIOS, it was a combination of CPU storage setting (not data, so two options left) and formatting to the right boot system and OS...

From the SuperMicro installation guide:

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.793a241e27648ce3d13851135ab5768b.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

1 hour ago, lwr said:

From the SuperMicro installation guide:

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.793a241e27648ce3d13851135ab5768b.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

Thanks, yet this is the Asus Sage C621E MB, with more settings than I currently seem to be able to handle ;-)

There is a bios setting for CPU storage, which has three options, and the formatting settings for the NVME disc in f.e. Rufus provide like 4-5 options for OS, and then the boot system.  

Weird thing s that I had both Daphile and W 10 PE working on two NVME SSD drives but they no longer boot...nor are they recognized as NVME under 'NVME settings'

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Topk said:

This is another item that I didn’t see much discussion about.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, MarcelNL said:

as far as I can tell the Elfidelity device is simply a bunch of capacitors stuck on a PCIe circuit board.

I predict the effect is small

A respectable member here, during the course of a conversation about something else, btw'd me to the effect, "Use a DC filter in the next rail to the pcie card".

Google being my friend, and having enquired politely of said Oracle, I could only think the dear fellow was referring to the polychromatic Elfidelity AXF-107.

image.png.d835767ed2a5b2a5101885b9a20fdb22.png

I got one shipped to me from China. The results were noteworthy - and here they are …

My system is a PC that plays flac. No internet. No streaming. Just flac on a PC at the listening position > fiber > eR > RedNet D16 AES > Mutec MC3+ USB (WC & Re-clocker) > DAC.

Naturally this post is about what goes on in the computer.

Having re-established my PC after a bit of a nightmare with (as it turned out) a Network Adapter driver (see recent Optical Networks thread), I was feeling pretty pleased with SQ – thinking it was better than ever – and I was in a happy place. My spiking/dropouts problem was resolved – as proven in Dante Controller demonstrating stability well > 24 hrs.

image.png.01d48a3fe237ab143ace94649c0281c1.png

Incidentally the Graph is even more "pure" with Flow Control On –

image.png.2a78acd0fa76b9a205c9719a2df74143.png

but SQ is definitely better with FC Disabled. Maybe the eR translating Gigabit to 100 Mbps benefits, as it were, from FC.

What about  the AXF-107 then?

mobo is Asus ProArt B550-CREATOR.

CPU is Ryzen 5600G.

RAM is CMK64GX4M2D3600C18.

mobo config:

CPU: 2 x (PCIe 4.0 x 16) [16 or dual 8] + M.2_1 PCIe 4.0

Chipset: 1 x (PCIe 3.0 x 16), (2 x PCIe 3.0) + M.2_2 PCIe 3.0

In first PCIe slot is Optane 900p with o/s.

flac Library is on WD Black SN850X 4Tb in M.2_1.

Network Adapter (single SFP) is Startech PEX1000SFP2 in PCIe_2.

The AXF-107 takes up no lanes – and does not appear in DevMan. No installation. It just sits in whichever PCIe slot you choose. It has LEDs which you can manipulate via DIP switches. Fortunately you can turn off the LEDs.

The AXF-107 has a "long" side and a "short" side.

First I tried the AXF-107 long side down in PCIe_3. Definitely meh. Sound was dry and robbed of body and power. Turned off the PC and went to bed.

image.thumb.png.7b0ad7621fa3ff3c99da90fe90a86a29.png

This morning I flipped the AXF-107 (bracket moves to other end) so that it went short side down in one of the junior PCIe slots – more specifically – the one situated exactly between 900p and Network Adapter. Sits over the CMOS battery. image.thumb.png.4628d6d4b768ed6812ccb2997a6a3165.png

Different story. Jaw-dropping detail. Instruments and sound effects jumping out of the speakers. Voices laden with timbre. Even tighter and more powerful bass – which I experience somatically at my listening position thanks mostly to cherished Snell Type A III.

imo I could ABX this effect. SQ delta easily ranks alongside hardware upgrades.

Your mmv – of course. But, like Linus Gabriel Sebastian on this topic (albeit with different appreciations), I wasn't born yesterday – and this surprised me quite a lot. For the money – I would recommend AXF-107 as a potential SQ/$-£- € record breaker.

image.thumb.png.ffadc36ad1de404acbc2f8f703d33f8b.png

image.png.ba55c0d3e786a5b73e63091164ee0acb.png

first question in my mind is; what do you feed your computer with?

In a 'standard PC' setup with SMPS type PSU  that filter undeniably has an impact, I tried it when I finishd the unregulated LPSU feeding the Taiko ATX with bypasses and it did nothing (well, it did something that i did not particularly like)

1 minute ago, MarcelNL said:

In a 'standard PC' setup with SMPS type PSU  that filter undeniably has an impact,

Paul Hynes SR7T Serial # 1

19V to HDPLEX DC-ATX 800W / Mundorf Silver-Gold loom

12V direct to CPU / Mundorf Silver-Gold

3 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I tried it when I finishd the unregulated LPSU feeding the Taiko ATX with bypasses and it did nothing (well, it did something that i did not particularly like)

Yes - my first trial I didn't like at all.

A different orientation / location on the mobo ... something else. Did you experiment much?

atm I conclude there is more scope than generally realised for cleaning up "dirty" mobo power.

8 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

In a 'standard PC' setup with SMPS type PSU  that filter undeniably has an impact, I tried it when I finishd the unregulated LPSU feeding the Taiko ATX with bypasses and it did nothing (well, it did something that i did not particularly like)

same for me, i tried it and did not like what it did with the ULPS V3 / Taiko dc-ATX.

Cheap enough to explore , for those curious!

3 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Same for me. I tried it and did not like it with the Taiko dc-ATX / ULPS v3 combo.

Perhaps my success has to do with AXF-107 in situ amongst 3 x CPU-direct parts/functions performing a single local playback role.

2 minutes ago, Iving said:

Perhaps my success has to do with AXF-107 in situ amongst 3 x CPU-direct parts/functions performing a single local playback role.

Could be the case. Either way if I can local it I’ll try it again. I have many more reee slots now.

I did not experiment much with it as i found other things to have much more impact on SQ than the location on the MB...the majority of caps on that thing are electrolytics, so turning them 180' seems counter intuitive to me...

My system is local playback and streaming but without upsampling/filtering too.

Have to add that I'm not a Mundorf S/G cap or S/G wire fan either.

location on the MB

2 different slots were like -ve and then +ve otoh. without trying different possibilities I could easily have missed a SQ jump.

turning them 180'

I had to flip AXF-107 to use in a PCIe x 4 slot (short side down) vs a PCIe x 16 one (long side down). Maybe not so much to do with turning caps 180 as reducing contact points in PCIe slot ... and 2nd slot being located as was first suggested to me - adjacent instead of remote from other Cards

Have to add that I'm not a Mundorf S/G cap or S/G wire fan either.

:-) well I doubt that the wire has much to do with it - what have you moved on to?