4 minutes ago, plissken said:

This may not be exactly that situation given the photos and videos. I can see both parties POV. If you purchase something with warranty coverage, whether new or used, and it needs servicing or even replacement I think the replacement should be new parts and look new.

If you purchased a used car that still carries manufacturer warranty it's what I would expect. But then again I've never read the fine print on new car warranty.

The screws are small, and even new ones can sometimes have small amounts of paint/anodize come off during installation.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Screws are cheap. There is really no excuse for sending a device, whether new or used/refurbished, with so badly damaged screws to a customer. Of course, there's been no evidence presented that this actually happened, and even if it did, this is quite the over-reaction.

Your points are correct. I was adding the fact that they are small enough that the loss of a small amount of paint or anodizing might not be apparent except under magnification.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I can't think of many companies that when presented with a used piece of their equipment for repair (esp one that looks possibly abused) don't just say 'sorry' you took the chance buying used, you lose, pay for the repair or a new unit. 

Yep - Alex knew that’s what he was taking on when he made the warranty transferable, but that’s the way he prefers to do business.

17 minutes ago, plissken said:

Car companies do it all the time. Again if I was Alex and saw that the wrong voltage was applied, and I wanted to be nice about it, I would have sent another unit, letting them know that the failure was due to something other than manufacturer defect, and let them know that there was no warranty and the repair was gratis.

I’ve dealt with both Alex and car companies, and given the choice, I wouldn’t pick the car companies.  😀