IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

7 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Or, if you use HQP or Roon one can just apply the same via DSP volume control.

Yes, personally I think that would be ideal, but he said he is not using playback software which volume control.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi all.  Is there anyone using the May with an Innuos and can confirm if the volume control in the Sense app functions?  I’m using an Innuos Zenith Mk3 and a May KTE both with all the latest firmware.  I can move the volume slider in Sense from muted to 100 but it has no impact on the volume.  The May has the Gen 2.1 usb and I’ve tried the fixed and variable volume versions of the 3144 firmware and it still doesn’t work.  Just curious if it works for others or if I’m chasing my tail on this.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just connected my new Pro-ject RST-2 CD transport. I waited for ~10 months for this transport to arrive and here it is.

I2S.   So I've tried all 4 modes, both I2S connections and 2 different HDMI cables and I've got no output. 

Optical works fine but it's optical. 

I have so many cables its mind numbing. But I don't have an AES cable - a true 75ohm cable. Guess I could try a balanced...

Is there something I'm missing have having the May read an HDMI cable?

18 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

I have so many cables its mind numbing. But I don't have an AES cable - a true 75ohm cable. Guess I could try a balanced...

Is there something I'm missing have having the May read an HDMI cable?

You need to check that the I2S pin layout configurations are matching. You can adjust these from the DAC settings.

Note that AES cable is 110 ohm. Coaxial S/PDIF is 75 ohms.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@MichaelHiFiAs far as I am aware all HDMI cable are wired the same, there are no differences.  What you need to match is the output format of your Cd transport to the appropriate input pinout of the May.

EDIT:  Posts crossed in the ether...I see the issue is with the Project.

I am using a Pioneer UDP via HDMI cable to the May (with a little splitter box in between) and watching TV and movies using the May as well as listening to CD's/SACD's passing DSD and PCM to the May. 

47 minutes ago, acg said:

@MichaelHiFiAs far as I am aware all HDMI cable are wired the same, there are no differences.  What you need to match is the output format of your Cd transport to the appropriate input pinout of the May.

EDIT:  Posts crossed in the ether...I see the issue is with the Project.

Well there are significant differences. 

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical-library/pinouts-wiring-diagrams/hdmi-wiring/

The HDMI specification has come with much criticism. Just trying to get an HDMI cable to p[lay with my projector to NAD prepro has been massively frustrating.

Please excuse my ah.. disappointment but I guess I missed the technical meeting at Pro-ject headquarters when they decided to use the i2S acronym to only apply to their brand. 

"Well, we don't play with those on the right channel only those on the left channel".

Our (My May) has 2ea I2S inputs. The RST-2 has an IS2 output but only plays to their components? I don't get it.

I waited 10 months for this box. Of course I can use optical, coax and AES to the May. It just doesn't sit right with me and I guess this post is my rant.

I'm missing RCA.

16 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

I waited 10 months for this box. Of course I can use optical, coax and AES to the May. It just doesn't sit right with me and I guess this post is my rant.

I would not worry about this at all: use AES, with a good AES cable, and make sure the May's (superb) PLL is activated.  you will get outstanding performance with this approach, at least as good as any I2S connection, considering how good the May's PLL is at rejecting jitter.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Those pinout differences are between different sizes of HDMI cable not between the same type of HDMI connector.  With HDMI all you really need to know is the plug size for each end, the data rate (eg. HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0) and the length to get from A to B.

11 minutes ago, barrows said:

I would not worry about this at all: use AES, with a good AES cable, and make sure the May's (superb) PLL is activated.  you will get outstanding performance with this approach, at least as good as any I2S connection, considering how good the May's PLL is at rejecting jitter.

Thanks Barrows. I'll look at that. Using optical right now. Can switch to my 50ft balanced but need to locate a true 75Ohm cable. Any recommendations?

Right now as I listen I get no bass, that is, seemingly (brain measurement) nothing below 45Hz. Sounds great above that but when the foundation is missing, so is the song.

12 hours ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Thanks Barrows. I'll look at that. Using optical right now. Can switch to my 50ft balanced but need to locate a true 75Ohm cable. Any recommendations?

Wait, why do you need a 50' cable?  You want to have your source closer to the DAC than that.  I really like Nordost for digital cables as they are fast with low capacitance.  The Nordost Heimdall 2 AES cable will be excellent.

SONORE computer audio

On 5/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, barrows said:

Wait, why do you need a 50' cable?  You want to have your source closer to the DAC than that.  I really like Nordost for digital cables as they are fast with low capacitance.  The Nordost Heimdall 2 AES cable will be excellent.

It's all I found in my stash of cables. I changed to a Zero audio balanced interconnect but - it is still wrong.

I was thinking of sending the RS2 back. Not anymore. This CD transport dramatically changed with break-in. 

The missing lower octaves have returned and now integrate with the music. I will revisit this component tonight with my wife and her choice of music. She's got big ears. 

Now with LPS and cable upgrade, could get ridiculously good. 

Thanks for cables suggestions. Nordest, Network Acoustics and who knows the SilverSonic low cost is on the table. I think my coax is in fact a SilverSonic and is playing extraordinary. Do I really need a cable?...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 10:32 PM, IgorSki said:

In short: RedBook 44,1 into PCM upsampled to 1411,2 results in unpleasantly distorted sound, popping, cracking and sharp ringing. However if I restart the same  composition over with « jump to beginning » button in Roon, it seems to fix the issue, fully or partially i don’t know, time to time experiencing pops like on vinyl.

Issue resolved for my "MAY", finally. 8 moths later... For those who may had similar experiece with MAY's "bad locking" at PCM 1.4MHz. Situation was fixed with my NUC source upgrade to most recent Ubuntu 22.04 release. Before going through the upgrade hussle I have tried other sources via USB with my MAY and it became obvious that issue was either in source Linux Ubuntu 20.04 or NUC hardware itself, since another sources had no issues locking at 1.4MHz. Ubuntu 22.04 servier with it's new kernel and hundreds of other updates fixed all this. Bingo!

1 hour ago, sch8mid said:

Even without Singxer . 

With what then?  I was not aware you have a May...and your comments about I2S and the Spring 3 PLL locking issues certainly doesn't sound promising as a long term listening solution.  I know Alex has no issues but his Spring 1 has a very different PLL architecture than the May.  So...please elaborate on your comment that the I2S into a May sounds great "even without Singxer".  Thx

Tried both and concerning I2S the results are the same. 
And Yes .. I2S is my favorite Interface.
I opened a new discussion here in the DAC compartement

and:

Look vor „Holo Audio locking behaviour“ and search for older Posts here as well.

Seems I am not  searching for a problem , there is one.

Hate late stage capitalism's tendency to overly fetishize merch

I'm a new owner of a Holo Audio May KTE. I'm trying to figure out how to change the oversampling rate. I know I can use the oversampling button on the front panel for selecting NOS, OS, OS PCM and OS DSD but how do I change the actual oversampling rate? I can't seem to find this in the instructions and Holo Audio's Email support is completely useless. 

Thanks

41 minutes ago, musicman1 said:

but how do I change the actual oversampling rate?

I believe it is fixed based on what mode you select.  No adjustability.  I use Roon and hqplayer and leave dac at nos and then send to the dac what ever rate I want via hqp.  Usually that rate is dsd1024.

12 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I believe it is fixed based on what mode you select.  No adjustability.  I use Roon and hqplayer and leave dac at nos and then send to the dac what ever rate I want via hqp.  Usually that rate is dsd1024.

So by selecting that mode it just means it can be oversampled but it is completely driven by the source? I'm looking at some streamers that allow oversampling so would it need to be setup at the source? I don't use HQPlayer and have no interest in Roon.   

21 minutes ago, musicman1 said:

So by selecting that mode it just means it can be oversampled

It's all internal in the dac.  By selecting an os mode the signal is sent to another chip which applies a predetermined non adjustable oversampling rate which then gets sent to the r2r dac boards.  So no matter what rate you send to the dac if you selected an internal os mode the dac will os to a predetermined rate.  If you leave the dac in NOS mode then what ever rate you send the dac will be sent directly  to the r2r boards, totally bypassing the internal os features.  I suggest you do that.  NOS mode and send it what ever rate you want externally.  The Holo sounds great in nos, why add another stage to os internally.

1 hour ago, musicman1 said:

I'm a new owner of a Holo Audio May KTE. I'm trying to figure out how to change the oversampling rate. I know I can use the oversampling button on the front panel for selecting NOS, OS, OS PCM and OS DSD but how do I change the actual oversampling rate? I can't seem to find this in the instructions and Holo Audio's Email support is completely useless. 

Thanks

You can't change the oversampling rate. In fact I'm not sure there are any DACs available that do allow you to do so

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara