IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

6 hours ago, Miska said:

You need Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS for HQPlayer Embedded with CUDA support (Nvidia GPU). And install latest Nvidia drivers on it. It is a bit easier to setup Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS and HQPlayer Desktop if you are not familiar with Linux. You can have Windows + Linux dual-boot on the same machine, I have such setup for example on my work laptop.

You could also check the performance on Windows 10, if the computer already has Windows. With latest Nvidia drivers you can check the CUDA performance with RTX3090.

Hi Jessi,

Maybe a stupid question but can I buy your embedded HQP OS that is bootable from a USB sticker with CUDA support? I try to not engage with my son's gaming computer and hoping nothing changed with system HD.

Thanks!

Daniel

17 hours ago, pis99 said:

Maybe a stupid question but can I buy your embedded HQP OS that is bootable from a USB sticker with CUDA support? I try to not engage with my son's gaming computer and hoping nothing changed with system HD.

No, HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA. CUDA (for Nvidia) and ROCm (for AMD) is only supported on Ubuntu.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 5/8/2021 at 12:38 AM, Quadman said:

I was playing around with 32fs PCM the last couple of days and when I go from DSD512 up sampling to 32fs PCM up sampling the volume with PCM is LOWER than the volume with DSD.  Is this the same for you?  Wednesday evening while playing DSD512 I switched to 32fs PCM and had to raise HQP volume 6 clicks to get the same perceived volume as DSD512.

May manual only says PCM at 48K output 2.9V RCA and DSD 64x output at 1.45V (-6db), no mention of higher rate PCM output

The same here . On my low gain preamp it' practically impossible to enjoy PCM , DSD is fine ... I haven't got a DVD Player which I can use with the HOLO May to see if It also have these issues. I'm using the RCA output , so I can't tell if it' the same on XLR...

4 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

The same here . On my low gain preamp it' practically impossible to enjoy PCM , DSD is fine ... I haven't got a DVD Player which I can use with the HOLO May to see if It also have these issues. I'm using the RCA output , so I can't tell if it' the same on XLR...

Double check you've not got the hardware vol set to a low value?
May's USB implementation has hardware vol so in roon set vol control to 'device volume' and make sure it's at 100%.
In windows check that the windows vol is 100%

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

14 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Double check you've not got the hardware vol set to a low value?
May's USB implementation has hardware vol so in roon set vol control to 'device volume' and make sure it's at 100%.
In windows check that the windows vol is 100%

I'm using hqplayer Embeddded + Jussi NAA Image , here i my settings , can't see where to crank up volume....

holo_may_hqplayer_settings.png

Just now, michaelvv said:

I'm using hqplayer Embeddded + Jussi NAA Image , here i my settings , can't see where to crank up volume....

Not sure if you can change hardware vol via hqp os. 

You might need to temporarily plug it into a Windows machine to check its at 100 and then swap back. 

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

12 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Not sure if you can change hardware vol via hqp os. 

You might need to temporarily plug it into a Windows machine to check its at 100 and then swap back. 

If I'm lucky to get hold on a windows PC , using only linux , shouldn't I install the drivers before I can do the volume PCM trick ???

Excuse me for my lack of windows experience...

1 hour ago, michaelvv said:

Boy that was over 4 months ago but it was real and happened but ended up being temporary.  DSD is supposed to be 6dB below PCM volume levels so this was very confusing.  Tim was unable to help so I rebooted my PC several times, cycled power on-off for dac, unplugged USB and re-plugged and it came back as it should PCM volume being louder than DSD volume.  Specs in HQP are DSD is 6 db lower volume than PCM.  I am not sure why this occurred but since my corrections mentioned above it has never happened since and PCM now is always louder than DSD as it should.

21 hours ago, michaelvv said:

Okay I managed to install a Win10 , with the HOLO May Driver and under Windows 10 the PCM level is fine.

I checked I have it at 100% , before I shut down Windows.

When I later on is using the hqplayer Embedded or directly running Linux on my laptop , the PCM volume is still very low..

So my question is now , are the someone who have sufficient output level on PCM when using Linux ???

What is the working process for this ???

20 hours ago, Quadman said:

Boy that was over 4 months ago but it was real and happened but ended up being temporary.  DSD is supposed to be 6dB below PCM volume levels so this was very confusing.  Tim was unable to help so I rebooted my PC several times, cycled power on-off for dac, unplugged USB and re-plugged and it came back as it should PCM volume being louder than DSD volume.  Specs in HQP are DSD is 6 db lower volume than PCM.  I am not sure why this occurred but since my corrections mentioned above it has never happened since and PCM now is always louder than DSD as it should.

20 hours ago, Quadman said:

Hi Quadman. Are you running on Linux ???

I tried this several times yesterday , rebooting , power on/off , unplugged USB , nothing happens with my output volume..

The only time I have sufficient volume is when running under Windows 10 , PCM is fine there...

I have this issue with my spring 3 kte

My usbridge signature player is a pi player and the volume is more than halved when it's in use.  Pcm is louder than dsd

(bigger gap than usual) 

Both are substantially lowered than running directly from my window 10 pc. 

So for now the streamer is not being used at all. 

2 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:

I have this issue with my spring 3 kte

My usbridge signature player is a pi player and the volume is more than halved when it's in use.  Pcm is louder than dsd

(bigger gap than usual) 

Both are substantially lowered than running directly from my window 10 pc. 

So for now the streamer is not being used at all. 

On my Hqplayer Embedded ( Linux ) , DSD has a fine output level , it's only PCM which are too low...

It's not only when using Hqplayer , when playing directly from vlc ( Linux ) it's the same ...

So the ALSAmixer volume might not actually address the hardware's inbuilt vol control I don't think.

I'm not actually sure what the best way to do it on linux is.
I've had a few dacs where the volume was not 100%, so in roon I had to change to 'device volume', set to 100%, then go back to 'fixed volume' and it was fine.

(Or on windows just adjust vol to 100)

I'm using a linux streamer atm and vol on the spring 3 is fine

4 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

So the ALSAmixer volume might not actually address the hardware's inbuilt vol control I don't think.

I'm not actually sure what the best way to do it on linux is.
I've had a few dacs where the volume was not 100%, so in roon I had to change to 'device volume', set to 100%, then go back to 'fixed volume' and it was fine.

(Or on windows just adjust vol to 100)

I'm using a linux streamer atm and vol on the spring 3 is fine

I have had several Dac's running Linux before ( Chord 2qute , Topping 50 , RME-ADI-fs ) either just on my laptop , or with

hqplayer Embedded and they where all fine with output LEVEL PCM...

If you're using a linux streamer ATM and the PCM volume on the spring 3 is fine , then there might be something to adjust in Linux.

Have you tired changing min and max volume in HQP Embedded to -3 for both?  May be something there?   It is VERY weird that your DSD is fine, and a higher volume level than PCM.  The nature of DSD says that its level, esp in the May, is lower.

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

Have you tired changing min and max volume in HQP Embedded to -3 for both?  May be something there?   It is VERY weird that your DSD is fine, and a higher volume level than PCM.  The nature of DSD says that its level, esp in the May, is lower.

Yes and also have it set to fixed -3 dB , does not change the output Level PCM to a sufficient level.

ted_b , If you're running hqplayer Embedded on your HOLO May and does not have this issue with PCM , things are starting to get interesting...

No, I'm running a three computer setup, with HQPlayer on Win10 (upstairs study), Roon core on Audiolinux (audio rack), and NAA on HQP OS on fitlet2 (audio rack).   And when my exaSound S88 arrives it has an NAA included (which will be my multichannel NAA).