IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

On 8/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, jcn3 said:

looks like by connecting the two, you're creating a ground loop -- when you disconnect, you're breaking the loop.  would be interesting to connect another amp of some sort and see what happens.

Thanks man. I've read posts about ground loops, but never thought I'd experience it in my system, and didn't know what a ground loop would sound like. 

Do you suppose, putting a grounding cable and ground box to the dac would help? 

One thing that puzzles me is why so many put the May DAC directly on top of the PSU. The general recommendation has always been to put hifi separates on different shelves especially power supplies.

Also there was many pages back concerns about heat. Again separate shelves is a good idea.

Just now, Rune said:

One thing that puzzles me is why so many put the May DAC directly on top of the PSU. The general recommendation has always been to put hifi separates on different shelves especially power supplies.

Also there was many pages back concerns about heat. Again separate shelves is a good idea.

The psu generates very little heat. It's the main dac unit which gets hot. Temps don't change whether you've got it stacked or unstacked. Main thing is don't put something ontop of the main unit. 

In terms of quality/noise, you've got two massive metal chassis in the way. 

The psu noise on my unit measures >-150dB regardless of if stacked or unstacked

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

16 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

The psu generates very little heat. It's the main dac unit which gets hot. Temps don't change whether you've got it stacked or unstacked. Main thing is don't put something ontop of the main unit. 

In terms of quality/noise, you've got two massive metal chassis in the way. 

The psu noise on my unit measures >-150dB regardless of if stacked or unstacked

I fully concur with GoldenOne.

The PSU is not even warm to touch. The main unit can get a bit hot though.

And once I got the XLR to replace the RCA interconnect, no more noise AT ALL!

On 8/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, Roasty said:

hey guys

is it not advisable to use both xlr and rca output from the May at the same time? i have the KTE May, XLR out to a Wells Audio Milo Reference headamp (and sometimes swapped for an integrated amp) and RCA out to a Singxer SA-1 headamp. 

when both the xlr and rca outputs are connected, i get this faint distortion/static/buzz audible with vocals of higher pitch and volume, eg female vocals at the peak of a crescendo. if i disconnect the rca cables from the Singxer headamp, the distortion/static/buzz goes away.

i have tried changing out cables, swapping out power cords, moving the power cord from the same block (an AQ Niagara 1200) to separate blocks and also directly to the wall outlet. but seemingly the only solution is to not use both rca/xlr together. the same issue also occurs if i swap connections ie RCA to integrated/Milo headamp and XLR to Singxer headamp, and resolved by removing the XLR connection.

Ok so i tried a ground box with grounding cable to the unused coaxial out and it didnt solve the problem.

Tried several other RCA cables and power cords into the Singxer with no luck.

Then today i decided to swap connections ie RCA into my pre, and XLR into the Singxer, and it did the trick. that distortion/buzz has gone away. Not sure what the actual problem is, but it is an OK compromise for me.

10 hours ago, Cogito said:

Have you tried connecting Spring 3 directly to JCat USB card?

Not yet.

I had the Spring 2 connected to the Singxer SU-6 i2S like this, so was hoping to see if the Spring 3 was an upgrade to the sound.

Not so sure about that.

I have the Spring 3 Level 2 , so the USB does not have the new Titanis circuit. So would of thought the Singxer SU-6 using i2S should be a little better, from listening this way to my previous Holo Dacs I have owned.  (Spring 1 then Spring 2)

1 hour ago, Cogito said:

you have a quality USB source (JCat) and a quality USB destination (Spring). Connect them with a quality USB cable to get good results.  I don’t see a need for Singxer in the signal path.  

In the past with both the Spring 1 and Spring 2, the Singxer was a noticeable upgrade to the sound. Same setup.

So thought it might be the same with the Spring 3.

I am hoping with more hours on it, it will sound at least as good as the Spring 2. (Had great enjoyable listening sessions with that setup)

Then might try out the USB but the Singxer was a very welcome step up for me on the previous ones over straight USB.

1 hour ago, rocky said:

In the past with both the Spring 1 and Spring 2, the Singxer was a noticeable upgrade to the sound. Same setup.

So thought it might be the same with the Spring 3.

I am hoping with more hours on it, it will sound at least as good as the Spring 2. (Had great enjoyable listening sessions with that setup)

Then might try out the USB but the Singxer was a very welcome step up for me on the previous ones over straight USB.

Holo told me, no real benefit to using a street pre, or ddc with their usb being so good. It's actually the primary input on the 3 kte 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my May KTE today. Warming up now with DSD128, from my Zen Stream USB. Hope to do some critical listening to it before we go on vacation in 10 days.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

11 hours ago, simonklp said:

@rocky, I have been paying attention to this thread for quite some time already, since I own a May for more than a year. One of the information that I want to find out is something similar to your case. I have also noticed that there is sometimes sibilance especially on vocals from May, but it only appears when I play the PCM music by upsampling it to 1411.2k by using HQPlayer. Even though, I didn't find such sibilance at upsampling frequency lower than that (e.g. at 705.6k). In addition, before the upgrade of the last USB driver about a month ago, the situation was even worse, the sibilance was not just on vocal only. In addition, it also appeared to be a type high pitch sharp noise. But it did also only happen for PCM music upsampled to 1411.2k by using HQPlayer.

In the past, I was not sure whether the problem was related to either HQPlayer, May, or other issues (e.g. other hardware). I have asked Jeff (designer of May) why this happened. But he has no idea, and only replied it should not be caused by the USB driver and the firmware versions. He has also said he has not heard of the feedback of this kind of problem from other users.

This morning, I have found that by not using the JCAT USB Card XE (i.e. via the ordinary USB port on the NAA PC), the sibilance at 1411.2k PCM upsampling has gone. I doubt whether it is due the IC chips used in the JCAT USB cards may not be from Intel that may account for this problem.

I would suggest that you may try to bypass the JCAT USB Card in your setup, and see if the sibilance will go away. Cheers.

To add to this, it's known that you need Intel for 1.536mhz to work properly. When I was testing various usb sources with the may with the two firmwares I encountered four situations:

1) Intel, both firmwares: 'just works', no issues, measured performance was perfect at all sample rates. 

2) Non-Intel, firmware 30.14. 'Just works' as above. but caps at 768khz

3) Non-Intel, firmware 30.12. Works absolutely fine up to 768khz. Above that it plays very robotic/weird. This was the most common situation for non-Intel devices. 

4) Non-Intel, firmware 30.12. Works fine up to 768khz, and APPEARS to work fine for 1.536mhz, but it sounded sibilant, and when measuring, there was odd, seemingly random distortion content which was not present normally. 

Its likely that the jcat card falls into the 4th category there. And so that was unfortunately likely the issue. 

The tldr: if you want to use 1.536mhz, you need an Intel device. OR get the new usb card which should do 1.536mhz on any device which can support it. 

But for <=768khz any usb source is fine. 

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

4) Non-Intel, firmware 30.12. Works fine up to 768khz, and APPEARS to work fine for 1.536mhz, but it sounded sibilant, and when measuring, there was odd, seemingly random distortion content which was not present normally. 

Same experience here with the USB XE card. Sold it and have not looked back. NAA with a decent power supply sounds just fine at high rates.

I believe he meant 30.14 for option four

i would demo specialty usb cards before spending big bucks. The May seems to sound great with many lesser Intel usb connections. My fitlet2 usb 3.0 (NAA) sounds wonderful so far

On 10/7/2020 at 9:40 AM, mushi said:
Hey guys, i've got problem with MAY... looks like i'm stuck...

MAY jams while playing music. This happens when the audio signal is supplied via aes-ebu and coax connectors, it looks like this on the display:
96K / LOCKING / 96K / LOCKING / 96K / LOCKING ..
music / silence / music / silence / music / silence ..
If a track is three minutes long, 2:30s is the pause and 30s is the music that plays.
This problem does not occur when i'm playing music via USB. To exclude the possibility of a fault on my part, i put the audio signal through the RME ADI-2 FS DAC (via aes-ebu and coax connectors) and the above problem did not occur:
When i'm playing PC >usb> MAY there is no problem
When i'm playing PC >usb> miniDSP SHD Studio > aes-ebu/coax> MAY jams all the time
When i'm playing PC >usb> miniDSP SHD Studio > aes-ebu/coax> RME ADI-2 FS DAC there is no problem
And now the best part: my source (PC) is not connected to the miniDSP SHD Studio, i'm connecting miniDSP with the aes-ebu/coax connector to MAY and MAY starts locking...

The seller claims that it is miniDSP fault, that miniDSP generates a signal that causes HoloAudio locking:
"...May is very precise with its locking mechanism. Some sources do not sent clock signals all the time (while music is paused e.g.) and you will see "Locking" on your display when there is no signal output from the source."

So my setup look like this: Roon >usb> miniDSP SHD Studio >aes-ebu> MAY >...
I'm using miniDSP SHD Studio as a preamp, also i can set the gain on the output:

mini.thumb.jpg.6923661b2e8ca18ce0b471fc824843e8.jpg

I tried different settings but it didn't change anything..

Please tell me what do you think because i have already gone stupid...

I just received my holo audio may L2 and have been breaking it in for a day or so.  I also have a minidsp shd studio streamer and took a leap of faith that it would work with the May even after reading about your issues with the PLL.  So far so good my streamer communicates with the may perfectly via coax with the PLL on.  My streamer is connected to my LAN.  And the streamer is connected to the May with a 1.5m cardas clear coax.  Hope you eventually got your issue figured out. 

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

Nope 30.12.
If you use 30.14 then any USB source that functions properly should work.

30.12 is where intel works fine but everything else either doesn't work or appears to work but actually has some underlying issues.

But yeah, given how good the May's usb implementation is and being fully galvanically isolated (not just the 5v/gnd lines like some dacs), I've found that USB source really doesn't matter. I even sold my SMS200 Ultra.

If concerned then one could put an ifi iGalvanic between the may and their PC for reclocking/further isolation as it's fully transparent to the host and so 1.536mhz works fine through it if you're on intel

I'm still curious to see your review of the Spring 3. With that DAC, choosing DSD 256 HQP 7EC modulator over 1.536mhz PCM is a no brainer, IMO thus 768 KHZ is enough to get the best out of it.

I understand one wants to find out by himself but please enlighten us :

do I and Miska and others on other forum have different appreciation criteria?

is the PCM implementation so much better in the MAy that it beats DSD 256 7EC while you would admit it doesn't with Spring 3?

if I recall correctly you say in your review of the MAy that differences between DACs used DSD was smaller so it would be interesting to know your opinion : for someone who prefers DSD 256 with S3 is there any worth buying a May over a S3?

I'm on vacation at the moment so I have known my S3 only for a week but before my departure the S3 was so much above my expectations that I wondered if I should be happy or regret I did not spend on a MAy

I have the Holo May L3 now and waiting for the Holo Serene L2 to be delivered.

A question for those who have both the May and the Serene. Does the remote of the May control the volume of the Serene? Or does the remote of the Serene control functions of the May DAC?

On 8/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, simonklp said:

@rocky, I have been paying attention to this thread for quite some time already, since I own a May for more than a year. One of the information that I want to find out is something similar to your case. I have also noticed that there is sometimes sibilance especially on vocals from May, but it only appears when I play the PCM music by upsampling it to 1411.2k by using HQPlayer. Even though, I didn't find such sibilance at upsampling frequency lower than that (e.g. at 705.6k). In addition, before the upgrade of the last USB driver about a month ago, the situation was even worse, the sibilance was not just on vocal only. In addition, it also appeared to be a type high pitch sharp noise. But it did also only happen for PCM music upsampled to 1411.2k by using HQPlayer.

In the past, I was not sure whether the problem was related to either HQPlayer, May, or other issues (e.g. other hardware). I have asked Jeff (designer of May) why this happened. But he has no idea, and only replied it should not be caused by the USB driver and the firmware versions. He has also said he has not heard of the feedback of this kind of problem from other users.

This morning, I have found that by not using the JCAT USB Card XE (i.e. via the ordinary USB port on the NAA PC), the sibilance at 1411.2k PCM upsampling has gone. I doubt whether it is due the IC chips used in the JCAT USB cards may not be from Intel that may account for this problem.

I would suggest that you may try to bypass the JCAT USB Card in your setup, and see if the sibilance will go away. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I have switched to straight USB for a bit to see how it all goes without the Singxer.

Did not like what I heard last night but this morning it is better.

Will do some more listening in the next week and swap around connections to see how it all pans out.