IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

35 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

These days it is hard to find any area in which there is a true consensus, never mind universal agreement. Instead, we have vehement disagreement about almost everything, with the very uncertainty that led us to a tribal view emotionally leading us to defend that view with even more force than if it were one we safely had in hand. 

Which makes this particular thread in a small way so significant...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

29 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

Of course - that's exactly what I said.  And that is the expression of one side of the argument trying to  change the framework... so they can have an argument... otherwise... well... 

Again, gravity does not care if you don't believe in it... you will fall.

But the reaction to your post if correct - veering off topic - last thing I will say on the matter.

v

No offence meant and I'm not trying to have an argument. I'm not sure what it would mean to veer off topic on this thread! 😱

Of course you are correct about gravity, I'll be taking the lift leaving work today not jumping out the window... Context is everything however. In relation to the topic of this thread only I responded to your statement 'Science is not a belief system' as I am genuinely interested in how any belief whether defined by oneself or others as 'scientific', 'objective', 'subjective' etc frames how we see the world and what the motive is when we express ourselves. I have met very few people who are honest about this but maybe I don't get out enough 🤣. Just my thing... which I have spent a life time studying.  

In the interest of this thread the arguments over the usual audiophile issues (dare I say subjectivist/Objectivist 😅) are not very interesting to me except the first few times I read them. What I find of interest is that in a conversation in person or online, there are different contexts being held, expressed and offered by each contributor. We affirm, bond with, react for or against whatever is our preference. When we are not understood or listened to seems to raise the thermometer pretty rapidly. Flexibility, openness, not being fixed, not needing to be right is hard won. 

I think a question has been genuinely posed in this thread about how to solve the riddle of conflict which is small potatoes on here between individuals in the grander scheme of things but the same underlying issues are of increasing concern in our hyper connected/disconnected world and in larger political social arenas when fuelled by power... Like I said my thing... 🙏

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

For astronomy forums, that's a big NO. In fact, it's gotten much better since the end of the century. But then, I run a number of them, so I guess it's all due to my amazing moderator skills ;) The reality is I don't need to moderate any of my forums, I may jump in a few times a year to get a discussion back on track, but that's about it. 

Sounds great I think I'll head over there. Why is it so different on astronomy forums? less room for 'subjectivity'.. ?

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

It's that to some degree. I joke that amateur astronomers spend most of the clear nights outside, with a telescope, getting little to no sleep. They are exhausted and have no energy to argue and fight on forums during the day :) The hobby is extremely technical and more than frequently -- humbling, so folks help each other whenever they can and rely on building a common knowledge and understanding as a community.

There are always some strong subjective opinions, and even snake oil, but these are easily found out and rarely tolerated.

Thanks for the update, food for thought.. without being politically incorrect can you tell what the demographic is ? Cheers

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Similar demographic to audiophiles. Maybe a bit older on average, age spans from early 20s to mid 80s. Average, without any real data to back this up, I'd say around 60. Predominantly male. World-wide.

we get everywhere 😂... cheers

14 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

Indeed - lemme try to summarize in this context - because you have a point

1.- I think the general idea of the editorial is that audiophiles are requesting the same respect that, let's say, the wine hobby/industry - That is, if I hear it (or taste it) then that's it, that is my take on it and I am contributing valuable insights. Because ( and hope I  am not wrong) that seems to be the general aim of the audiophile practice (at least the subjective one, which seems to include most of the industry and its consumers).  Might add, though, that wine industry is also on very iffy grounds: 

v

Thank you for your full post, generously written. I understand your position and sympathise with much of the same. There is much value in understanding others point of view (essential in fact). Would love to fill out my take on this subject more fully but just don't have time at present.... have a good day.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

and observe what I hope will be the growth of a corrective force.

We live in hope... at least I do. 

31 minutes ago, firedog said:

The corrective force quote was ARQ, not me.

understood... 👍

I was responding to the broadest sense of the term and corrective being benevolent..

5 hours ago, thyname said:

‘Only to those I mentioned. Not to all objectivists. My post was especially targeted to those who don’t even own an audio system, or don’t even listen to music.

Do people like that exist ?!

6 hours ago, crenca said:

For magic pixie dust   

Must be awesome, the best ever.  Where can I get some, and next day delivery of course...

seriously tho’ thanks for posting your system which makes for interesting reading.  

10 minutes ago, crenca said:

Lot's in this sort of post around the nature of consumerism.

The "unused items...making me blind to my initial desires" is thoughtful.  I would say that they are just reminders of desire, but desire being what it is means that it can't be remembered.

I detect an understanding of Buddhist philosophy 🧐🙏

13 hours ago, tmtomh said:

For something like a similarly priced DAC from, say, PS Audio, I would steer clear because I've seen at least one multi-thousand-dollar PS Audio DAC that measures horribly considering its price and what such a unit could be capable of - measures sufficiently bad that its deviations from high fidelity could be audible.

Curious about this statement. Is this true of current DACs or one sample and from what year? Your posts carry some authority which I  appreciate, plus I’m a happy owner of a PS audio DAC. 

3 hours ago, crenca said:

I sincerely upvoted this post because I agree with you, that there is indeed a "trap" in this discussion.  What is beyond the rhetorical, the back and forth comment box wrestling, and the criminalizations?  Whatever it is, it is NOT the "ethical" trap inherent in the subjective/objective divide.  The temptation is to commit to being either a subjectivist or an objectivist, in a "religious" way just as the OP put it, and then work from there.  It is not just in theory that such thinking leads to a trap - these sorts of "civility" threads where both sides accuse the other as not being ethical, denying the golden rule (i.e. treating others as one one would oneself), and the like are the real evidence of the failure of us to get out of the trap.  

The OP suggests a religious conversion:  All objectivists agree that the only way audio can be about audio is for them to ascent to subjective understanding of audio, art, and ethics.  Is not subjectivism "innocuous" after all (he says)?  Is not objectivism stubbornly "religious" (he says)?  The OP does not escape the trap.

What's beyond the trap of (largely unconsciously) of committing to either objectivism or subjectivism and then accusing the other side of ill will?  My personal take is to look at audio in terms of consumerism and desire, manipulated by ourselves and "the industry".  I would welcome other takes however.  

That said, even in a discussion that transcends the trap, the divide will always be in the background since it is rooted in a deep divide of our western culture...

The Daniel Craig move is the third take on this book, the re-re-make no?  I say the (Swedish I think) origninal subtitled in English years ago and thought it quite good.

Cool post 👍