IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

5 minutes ago, Iving said:

... i don't like the loss of body - the music is technically better but has lost its soul

I'll give it a while - see if there is a cooking effect

otherwise i'd like to understand how *this* firmware change could have such dramatic effects

Sorry Martin, but there is no “loss of body or soul” (though that is a great jazz standard B|) with the new firmware. I have compared them side-by-side (two new units with same zero hours on them), and while the new firmware is better, the difference is not huge and there is no loss of bass.

2 minutes ago, Iving said:

likewise whether firmware is better or not

i can tell you categorically that the difference is very substantial and that the bass is significantly diminished

Since you can not A/B/A compare, you can not know that for sure. Your mind may be imagining the difference. 

Of course if you are not happy with your EtherREGEN we will cheerfully refund your purchase. :)

10 minutes ago, Iving said:

please don't level that anti-subjective crap at me

There is nothing “anti-subjective” about performing simple A/B/A/B listening comparisons. (Not talking about blind, A/B/X, etc.) I’ve been doing such for more than 4 decades, even down to with things like resistors and small parts changes. Sometimes it takes a bit of back and forth to get a handle on if something is truly better, worse, or the same—as well as to identify any trade offs.  And with many actual advances, the change can reveal the true nature of the other components in the system and recordings—for better or worse.

Such is the realm that the EtherREGEN works in...:D

1 hour ago, simon_pepper said:

Application of the update was straight forward and well documented.  I understand that in-the-field firmware updates was never planned, hence the USB port being internal to the device - anyway it means we were allowed to open and view the actual PCB - nicely done and densely populated.

Thank you Simon.

Back in the system and all port responding - initial listening, I still have the soundstage space, and additional clarity over the unmanaged Cisco 5-port the EtherRegen placed. Is there more? I think so, however system is now playing the new Pink Floyd album and it all sounds mighty fine across the range, with good transient behaviour and fine detail resolution. So no issues here.

Nice.

Now if John has found additional scope on the PHY layer of the A-ports, is there any such opportunity for the B-port?

The very new, very special Ethernet protocol converter/PHY which sits just 2mm behind the 'B'-side RJ45 is not being programmed externally. Rather we use "strapping" resistors to set certain functional parameters.  And as far as I know (John may know differently--his is VERY intimate with that chip's 125 page datasheet) there are no PHY parameters to adjust.

43 minutes ago, Puma Cat said:

I can move the ER just a little bit, and the fit/connection between the optical transceiver can disconnect. I know that it takes quite a bit of force to install the optical transceiver to get it to seat securely, and I apply quite a bit of force when inserting the optical transceiver into the SFP cage. Sometimes it connects up, but many times it does not. What I've consistently experienced is that it takes several attempts and a fair bit of "fiddling" to get it to connect up. 

We aside from the obvious--stop moving things around! x-D--I agree that you ought to try another SFP transceiver.  

And John mentioned to me something along the lines of it being possible to have some of the differential pairs of the module not connect well, still have connectivity--but poor sound. Busy day, but maybe he will explain about that more properly at some point.

• 3 weeks later...