IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

The ER is my first Uptone purchase.  Installation in my simple system went smoothly (inserted an extra patch cable and the ER):  

Computer/Roon  >>  

router (isp-provided)  >>  

in wall cat5e  >>

cat6a cable (Blue Jeans Cable) >>

ER  >>

cat7 cable (Purist Audio Design) >> 

Acoustic Revive RLI-1  (passive filter)  >>

Tambaqui DAC (Roon endpoint)

I used the Quick Start document to get it connected, then checked the User Guide regarding the status lights:  flashing yellow for A side; steady yellow for B side; green for power (that one was intuitive).  Good to go.  Roon saw the DAC (as usual) and music played.  A good start.

Will let it run for a few days before posting my impressions in the listening thread.  New gear always take a while to settle into my system.  Tomorrow will probably try pulling out the Acoustic Revive to see what that does, if anything.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone having issues with Roon 1.7?  I've had the eR for about a week and yesterday for the first time the music stopped while playing from my library and Roon couldn't find my endpoint (DAC).  Tried a few things, but the only thing that worked was powering the eR off/on.

Had the same issue today.  Same solution.  I can see why those of you with the dropout issues have been so frustrated.  

my setup:  computer/roon > router (isp-provided) > ethernet > eR > ethernet > DAC (roon endpoint).

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

9 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Have you rebooted the roon endpoint/DAC since you installed Roon 1.7?

Yes. Twice. Once before powering cycling eR, which didn't work and once after.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The first instance may have been the day of the update (just before updating).  But everything is playing now.  Will see if it remains stable.  

32 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I run Roon 1.7 and Qobuz with zero problems, seems that the problems with 1.7 only affects some setups. Played several hours last night with my eR connected no issues.

Don't want to make this a Roon 1.7 thread, but Roon stopped working during the night (still burning in the eR), so any further information related to what folks think is attributable to the eR vs. the new OS would be helpful.  Last night the playlist was from my library.   Rebooted my DAC and Roon could see my DAC endpoint, so that makes me think the eR isn't involved.  Any suggestions?

So far Qobuz, when Roon is working, is fine and 1.7 features are absolutely great.  

2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Question to current EtherRegen users, what have you placed your EtherRegen on?

Mine is on its side behind my rack.  Beneath is a tube damper (used long ago with a tube preamp).  I'm not claiming any differences in sound or that this is state of the art, just protecting the floor and aiding air circulation.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 4:22 PM, Superdad said:

Just now learning about fiber.  Would this patch cable work with Alex's suggested SFP?  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5796DQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Roasty said:

Do u guys ever power down your EtherRegen? And, an extension of the question would be, in addition do u guys ever power down your lps as well? 

The JS-2 and eR are powered all the time.  The eR, in my system, takes quite a while to get back to its excellent self if powered off.  My other gear is always turned off when I'm done listening.  With the eR, JS-2 and the opticalModule (added recently), I find the warm up time for my gear is greatly reduced.  Sometimes I just turn it on and it sounds the same as when I've been listening for hours.  That is a benefit I hadn't anticipated or hoped for.  

4 hours ago, bailyhill said:

PYP

Have you posted about the opticalModule?  I am considering adding it to my setup. 

Thanks for mentioning.  Just did:  

11 hours ago, Roasty said:

If so, can someone explain in simple English how I can go about using the ground post?

connect these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSDTVVX/

https://www.amazon.com/StaticTek-Adapter-Universal-Connection-Unbreakable/dp/B071J61CSV

then connect the spade to the eR (see eR instructions) and connect the plug to any outlet.  listen for a few days, then unplug and listen for a while.  can also try different outlets.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jjraffin said:

I'm in Aus, and I can find one of these to replace your second item

https://www.mektronics.com.au/clipsal-grounding-plug.html

I can't find a wire that has a ring terminal at one end and a spade at the other for my eR. Any hints?

clipsal_groundin_4e682757d7ed8_1_1.jpg

Then using solid core wire stripped at both ends would be my suggestion.  Stranded wire works too, but the solid is easier to wrap around the screws of the plug and eR.   

Amazon US sells the solid wire already stripped for a no-tool option.  Something like:  https://smile.amazon.com/PHAT-SATELLITE-INTL-Electrical-Protection/dp/B07M8PKZFD/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=solid+core+grounding+wire&qid=1585231755&sr=8-2

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Frojo said:

P.s. i was wondering which of my organs to sell to acquire a JS2 😧

A less permanent solution would be the equivalent number of rolls of toilet paper.  Not sure of your location's exchange rate. Good luck.  🤨

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And speaking of current, a JS-2 will  be glad to crank out 7A at 12V all day long--while not even breaking a sweat (seriously, it gets barely warm at that load).

That is what I'm finding using the JS-2 to power both the eR and the oM - barely warm on the left-side (looking at the front) heat sink only.

16 hours ago, hpfish said:

With the ER coming, should I

2. insert the ER right before the Lumin?                                                             

That has been the guidance provided in various eR threads (if the setup allows).  

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Roasty said:

She said "u know what, I really don't care" and then walked off to make a snack. 

Tried something similar with my wife years ago.  She could hear the changes immediately and picked the same cables I had wanted.  But...let's just say that was the last time we did that because she found it meaningless and, I'm sure, questioned my sanity.

You are not alone!  :)  Poor audiophile wives.  They put up with a lot.  Hope you can get the eR working in your system.  

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

So I exchanged the included SMPS with a LPS-1.2. Still, it sounded better without the FMC.
So my humble conclusion is that the inexpensive FMC I bought is not an audio grade device, and I removed it from my system. Hmm..
Tom

The Sonore opticalModule with the LPS-1.2 might work out better.  Just a thought...

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

262897900_AJConConvictLake2020.thumb.jpg.19b75da6a9d530dbe8b2370e65817f30.jpg

Feel free to delete this one.  Just wanted to say this looks like a world-class way to isolate.  Hope it was restful.  Haircut?  I'm surprised you didn't go all out wild mountain man for a week.  😮 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, chungjh said:

Has anyone had more experience on using two ER's in a chain? If one ER is good, would two ER's be better?

@LowMidHigh has several posts regarding two ERs.  You can search his posts...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Try vertical sitting on a dedicated 30A power socket    ... mine sounds great !  

But you may need some powercords and interconnects around it 😂

You might want to try some artisanal, renewable, anti-static, anti-vibration, genuine bamboo chopsticks to separate your ICs from power cords (hang the ICs off of them).  Mine work great.  Unfortunately, I cannot patent the idea... :)   

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, MartinT said:

I used to have an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 LAN isolator inserted before I had the ER. Couldn't hear it do anything on the A side with the ER so I got rid of it.

me too.

11 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I would say they're both important, B side more so.  Use a good quality cable for the A side (mine's a MeiCord) and the best shortest one for B side (I use a 12cm Rhino Cat6 link).

One thought:  give most attention to the B side and see what that brings.  Then try cables for A.  Personally, I use inexpensive, very flexible copper ethernet on the A side (monoprice slimrun with plastic connectors) and found no downside versus Bluejeans and others.  For the B side, you might want to check out the AfterDark forum.  I don't have any experience with that ethernet cable, but Adrian has good ears (which I base upon his spot-on description of the Cybershaft clock's break-in and benefits to sound quality).   My Purist Audio Design Cat 7 is a great sounding cable.   

10 hours ago, One and a half said:

Received the EtherRegen today (22-Mar), eager to try, let's see which install works 'best'. JCAT = JCAT NET Femto (the original).

As soon as I read your first sentence, I thought:  Oh, no.    The eR took a month to fully settle into my system, but I think two weeks (powered continuously, if with a signal that whole time even better) is a good timeframe after which experimenting could be practical.  

I've had lots of equipment that never mentioned burn-in, but literally all have required it.  In my system, a month seems to be the magic number regardless of the type of gear.  I've always theorized that this is the result of capacitors.  They all seem to take a very long time and go through cycles of sounding harsh/bad, then good, then bad -- until they have fully settled in.  

Just now, One and a half said:

Well it must have worked, since I could note the changes as each stage was tested. It's no different to adding another component like a dac or interconnect. 

Whenever I've done quick changes like that, I can always hear a difference.  But when I try later on, after everything is settle in, the sound is different in every respect.  In other words, the difference you are hearing now is not what you will hear after burn-in.  

3 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Two weeks was about typical for power amps and SACD player, worked fine, but a month!

My DAC sounded very good right out of the box, a first for me.  A month later though, it was really sounding great.  I hate the month wait almost as much as my wife does (because I tend to leave it running at night, no amplification of course, and dislikes that for some reason).   Good luck.  Hope it works out for you.  

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

From someone in Austria--

"Hello Alex,

The Ether Regen did arrive.

I am stunned by the performance upgrade for my MolaMola Tambaqui.

Fantastic product. Worth every penny. 

+1     Had the same experience with the same DAC.