IGNORED

Best Audiophile USB Card ?

• 1 month later...

The Pink Faun v2 USB bridge is now on sale from their site.

To be clear, this isn’t the Ultra card that’s coming out in a few months time but a replacement of the v1 card with a total makeover and a new ASM3142 chip. 

Said to sound really good even without their famed OCXO clock. 

I have one on the way, will compare with my existing v1/UltraOCXO card and report after. 

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Any source of this info?  ETA?

The v2 is already for sale. I have a unit on the way now. Check their website. Jord clarified that there are to be 2 usb cards- this v2 and the Ultra targeted out in the next few months. I saw the Ultra prototype during my Aug visit to Rhenen.

Jord said the Ultra i2s is only under consideration at this time. 

Care to explain the urgency? 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Exocer said:

Options are

1. SOTM SCLK-EX with Mutec Ref10 (not 120se)

2. JCAT Master OCXO - powered by the Optimo Nano LPS (fed by Taiko DC-DC and unregulated LPS, cables are all Mundorf SG).

Hey Rob, are you saying you are plugging the sclk-ex clock output programmed at 20MHz into the Jcat? If so, can you share what cable you used (length, impedance etc) and the sclk-ex power source?

Or did you pass the music signal through a tx-USBUltra (which contains a sclk-ex) to clean the signal on the way to the DAC?

2 hours ago, Exocer said:

Wasn’t able to locate clock options. Is the V2 not compatible with the Pink Faun clock boards?

Did the card you’re comparing to use the Ultra clock?

The 3 Pink Faun USB options are:

1. old discontinued v1 card - works in 3 ways, alone, optional plug onto board modular normal OCXO or ultra OCXO)

2. new v2 card, no clock options

3. new Ultra card, ultra OCXO built on board as standard. Launching in a few months

My comparison is between (1) with ultra OCXO module and (2).

14 hours ago, Exocer said:

Correct - and the 75ohm input was also enabled, with a Mutec Ref10 reclocking the sclk-ex board. Here is the cable: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/U.FL-2LPHF6-088N1T-AC-150?qs=Znm5pLBrcAKMUSb53pim9w%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

That is the length and impedance.

In both tests above, the TX-UsbHubin is cleaning up the signal again before the DAC, as I have built a jumper cable from the JCAT USB XE to the Tx-USBhubin. 

The sclk-ex is powered by a Sean Jacobs DC4 and so is the JCAT USB XE.

Ah thanks. Interesting that despite the better power supply, the XE/OCXO is better than the XE/Mutec. Not that surprising perhaps as the OCXO is a dedicated 20MHz clock while the Mutec  needs to convert to this freq from its 10MHz reference signal. And the clock is also closer to where the signal is required. 

Years ago I had similar experience using the txUSBUltra reclocker attached with a Cybershaft OP-14 clock vs the then new Pink Faun v1 card with OCXO on board and the latter was a step better. At that time, adding the txUSBUltra w/clock in series made the sound worse so I retired the set. 

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Interestingly there is no new SPDIF or I2S card (yet?) and preciously little information, previously the three bridges differed in output and clock freq but were using the same CM8888 chip. 

Is there any news (I may have missed it) about new versions for other output formats  (USB is not an option for me given the clear benefit of using I2S)?

Jord said they would only consider i2S  after the Ultra USB was finished. No definite plans. 

The existing i2S sounded very good when I heard it recently in their setup so I guess they prioritized it for a later update. 

The CM8888 is a PCIe to i2S controller and uses a 24.576MHz clock. It’s different for their USB controller which uses the ASMedia ASM1142 on the v1 card and ASM3142 on the new v2 card. 

8 hours ago, rafa said:

This is very disappointing so far. Hopefully that goes away with time completely.

This character doesn't overwhelm the performance of the card, it's just one aspect of the sound. Just one data point in my own system.

The card is out on loan to a friend who is considering a modded version of the card with the existing clock swapped into a U.FL connector and then using an external reference clock. I'll try again after it's back from its rounds and when it's reached say 200-250 hours burn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Any more news on the Pink Faun Ultra card?

Heard from Jord 8 days ago :

".. The first small batch of ultra USB is in production now.. "

".. I have made some small changes in the shielding case for the ultra USB bridge, it is even better now.."

".. I hope to have some units ready in a month or so.. "

".. The casing .. is made for our ultra music server and standard PCIe brackets in normal computer casing .."

10 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Ah man… full height PCIe would be a challenge for me in the HDplex H5.  Will wait and see 😀

23 hours ago, flkin said:

".. The casing .. is made for our ultra music server and standard PCIe brackets in normal computer casing .."

From the wording used, the Ultra seems likely to fit into just one standard PCIe slot (rather than more than one as the case looks pretty wide). But as is, it doesn't fit my Pink Faun 2.16x streamer as well. PF is aware of this and so they will remove the protruding lip of the shielding case at the top for me.

1(2).thumb.jpeg.3eef08541c4bedd280a7f2971c90171a.jpeg

Strange to design a card to fit only their latest Ultra streamer and not fit (without mod) into their older 2.16x. Wouldn't there be more 2.16x machines out there than Ultras? Or it's a ploy to get us to upgrade 😄

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The v2 card replaces the older v1 card which had an option to add an OCXO clock on board. V2 card has an improved clock section but no option to add a clock. Uses a later ASM3142 usb chipset and updated hardware. And with Pink Faun’s recent firmware update, the v2 has exceeded my old v1/OCXO sound wise. 

The Ultra USB card is their attempt to build the ultimate USB card. Includes super capacitor power supply, their Ultra OCXO clock, their latest thoughts on design and a metal housing for EMI and heat management. Should be out anytime now. 

I wrote about the v2, the ultra prototype and the comparison between my old v1/OCXO and the v2. Earlier in this thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, danielB said:

Hi,

On v2 page says that it using proprietary firmware.

Is there a way to update to latest firmware but to keep and reinstall the original? ASMTool or something else?

Sorry I have no idea. Jord teamviewed into my system to get it done. I guess the later cards sold would already have the later software depending on when you purchased it. I like the improvement the v2 firmware offered, I'm not sure if there is a reason to return to the earlier version after the upgrade.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, danielB said:

Hi Kin,

I was expecting it after Axpona but not at that price.Must be something special.Could be the capacitors and the filtering after the capacitors.At least is not 3 slots wide and 600w power hungry like the rtx4090:))

Jord will be at Axpona. He might bring one along seeing that it’s already completed. If so, those lucky visitors will get to hear it first! 

@Exocer, yeah the new USB card is the first I’ve seen to have this form factor. The external case looks pretty chunky and solid but perhaps not as heavy as one would expect. They decided on aluminum rather than copper for the case which I’m told was an option during the design stage. 

I only heard the new Sotm card in another system briefly but haven’t come across the new JCat with external OCXO clock locally yet.