IGNORED

Win Server 2019/2016 General questions and discussions

Solid-State

6 minutes ago, jaynyc said:

the main AO product page has been updated for Windows Server 2019!

https://hypertrap.com/arch/hist/jkeklw32q9/skioub39lz#dm=wbw

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

You better hypertrap the change log :)

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/changelog

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

11 minutes ago, jaynyc said:

done.

https://hypertrap.com/arch/hist/bvei2rfdmk/edm1n7n0d4

anyone who wants to piggy back onto the automatic email alerts can just click Follow

This will ruthlessly expose my obsession for correcting typos... 😂

____________________________________________________________________________________

9 hours ago, Quadman said:

Question, does win server 2019 work with wifi?  and if so is it easy to set up?  My audio room has no ethernet access so wifi is what i run in my win 10 pro setup.

Hi

Yes, please see page 21 of our main pdf guide. Install your WiFi driver and either install the Wireless LAN feature by hand or use our ServiceTool to do so:

image.thumb.png.bf17deababeb779d462dbc4055cef735.png

Best,

AudioPhil

@AudioPhil, Thank you.  Loving what 3.0 does to win 10 pro.  Based on your ranking you think 19 server desktop will be a nice improvement in sound?  One last question what is this about CAL's do you need any for server standard desktop on a single one user PC?

16 hours ago, Quadman said:

@AudioPhil, Thank you.  Loving what 3.0 does to win 10 pro.  Based on your ranking you think 19 server desktop will be a nice improvement in sound?  One last question what is this about CAL's do you need any for server standard desktop on a single one user PC?

Hey :)

it will be much more than a nice improvement. Use Server 2019 in GUI and you‘ll get about the sound quality of Server 2016 in core. And this is almost night and day compared to Windows 10. It‘s mich easier and faster to install and configure than Windows 10 as well. And no hassle related to Core and still around 95% of its sound quality in GUI, so Server 2019 GUI is clearly the way to go.

Setup Guide for 2019: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/windows_server_2019_setup_guide.pdf

Evaluation ISO Server 2019: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/iso/server-2019

5 CAL‘s are included with a Standard license, so no need to buy additional CAL‘s for Windows Server.

Best,

AudioPhil

I got win server 2019 std with desktop experience loaded.  Installed HQPlayer 3.25.4 and roon server. I even got wifi working before AO install.  Loaded AO 3.0 and ran the optimizations.  I installed kernal streaming thinking it may be needed for tidal through Roon server, I said yes to waspi/mmcss, I disabled drivers and services and plug and play.  I did not disable AMD CPU/SATA drivers (thinking since I upsample to DSD512 and have a local HDD for music files that they were needed), I did not disable network services since I need them for tidal streaming (through roon), disabled remote desktop and management.  With ST I enabled auto logon and did a shell replacement of roonserver and HQP.

I have not listened to it other than through headphones to verify all works.  What surprised me most was the number of processes, handles and threads are almost identical to what I had with my win 10 pro set up with fidelizer pro (fidelizer is not installed on my server SSD).  Is that right?  I thought server was a much streamlined version of windows.  Now the SQ may be much improved, I won't know until tonight when I fire the system up.  I was surprised the processes are about equal to 10 pro.

Overall the server 2019 manual was pretty good, I wish it would have covered more example on some option thou.

@AudioPhil Help.  I am having a hard time activating my 2019 server standard with desktop experience evaluation copy to a retail copy.

First I downloaded the eval copy from MS web site, same as your link on a second windows PC.  I then used rufus to make a bootable USB with this image.  I then used a clean SSD drive in my dedicated Audio PC, inserted the USB and started the PC, changed boot order to USB and it booted fine and installed exactly as you would expect.  I then installed my drivers, made sure no yellow signs in DM, installed HQP and Roonserver and got my wifi working.  I then installed AO3, activated it, it used the same hardware ID as my 10pro set up and the same activation key worked.  I then set up auto logon and then ran AO and I listened to music all last night it is better than 10 pro but not night and day.

Today I tried activating I searched the web and found best way to do it.  DISM get target in administrator command prompt and then change target.  Well I get this error and here is the DISM log

130029091_gettargeted.thumb.jpg.f904bfefb4bf342691de4ecfa1ef6e45.jpg2021696858_dismlog.thumb.jpg.c5994a83cf79b7e04b0bd4ecaad5f401.jpg

It looks like I don't have a valid windows system image??  WTF????

So I go into settings and check about system and I see this below and then check activation and see this below.

winstat.thumb.jpg.868317f96e710bf4c342a9c677b9a3e1.jpg

1842381187_servact.thumb.jpg.8822d1341376f71d67458dd85ca61930.jpg

So it looks okay there but through command prompt and DISM it doesn't like something.  Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Quadman said:

@AudioPhil Help.  I am having a hard time activating my 2019 server standard with desktop experience evaluation copy to a retail copy.

First I downloaded the eval copy from MS web site, same as your link on a second windows PC.  I then used rufus to make a bootable USB with this image.  I then used a clean SSD drive in my dedicated Audio PC, inserted the USB and started the PC, changed boot order to USB and it booted fine and installed exactly as you would expect.  I then installed my drivers, made sure no yellow signs in DM, installed HQP and Roonserver and got my wifi working.  I then installed AO3, activated it, it used the same hardware ID as my 10pro set up and the same activation key worked.  I then set up auto logon and then ran AO and I listened to music all last night it is better than 10 pro but not night and day.

Today I tried activating I searched the web and found best way to do it.  DISM get target in administrator command prompt and then change target.  Well I get this error and here is the DISM log

130029091_gettargeted.thumb.jpg.f904bfefb4bf342691de4ecfa1ef6e45.jpg2021696858_dismlog.thumb.jpg.c5994a83cf79b7e04b0bd4ecaad5f401.jpg

It looks like I don't have a valid windows system image??  WTF????

So I go into settings and check about system and I see this below and then check activation and see this below.

winstat.thumb.jpg.868317f96e710bf4c342a9c677b9a3e1.jpg

1842381187_servact.thumb.jpg.8822d1341376f71d67458dd85ca61930.jpg

So it looks okay there but through command prompt and DISM it doesn't like something.  Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Sorry, I have never seen this error before. You might try using the "change product key" button and just enter your retail key, this should work as well.

14 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Sorry, I have never seen this error before. You might try using the "change product key" button and just enter your retail key, this should work as well.

I decided to do another clean install.  Downloaded new ISO used rufus to make bootable USB, this time it took over 15 minutes to make USB whereas before it was less than one minute.  Installed server 19 and was able to convert to retail with the key I bought so all is good.  For some reason rufus didn't complete the process for first attempt although it installed and looked fine, but when I tried converting to retail version DISM didn't like the image.

Rufus is most likely the problem, it is not suited for windows images as dar as I know. use the Windows Media Creation Tool or Windows 7 USB Tool to create your usb stick instead.

7 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

use the Windows Media Creation Tool or Windows 7 USB Tool to create your usb stick instead.

I googled using media creation tool with server and got no hits or mentions of it working, I found manual script methods and of course rufus was suggested a lot.

Anyway with server 19 w GUI and AO3 and AFpro8.4 the sound took another positive step forward. More transparent, more dynamic, more there, more jump.  So much presence and stage width, dept and height was more pronounced.  Nicely done Phil.

2 hours ago, Quadman said:

I googled using media creation tool with server and got no hits or mentions of it working, I found manual script methods and of course rufus was suggested a lot.

Anyway with server 19 w GUI and AO3 and AFpro8.4 the sound took another positive step forward. More transparent, more dynamic, more there, more jump.  So much presence and stage width, dept and height was more pronounced.  Nicely done Phil.

Here you go :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

just installed A.O 3.0  with windows serveur 2019 gui  ,what a pain to install Network driver on a aZus  motherboard  for a middle age geek 😀    but what a sound with  Roon +HQ player ,  far better than Windows 10 ,  Fidelizer seems to do nothing now ,  is it usefull to use the windows strip down utility in place of fidelizer ?

anyway thanks for the sound upgrade with A.O 3.0 😊

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil or anyone else using a Mutec MC3+ USB with WS2019 and AO 3.0.

I am just about to undertake a new load of WS2019 to my CAPS Lagoon.     I plan on using a 2tb SSD and partition it for OS and Music.

2 questions)

1.   What Mutec Driver is best to download and use on WS2019?

2.   With WS2019, AO3.0, Jriver 24 and Fidelizer 8.4, would a 60 or 80gig partition be enough for this lot?

Regards Cazzesman

Hi

I cannot comment on the driver since I use another DDC in front of the MC3+USB, but generally speaking I would use the latest one available.

60-80G would probably be enough for 3-4 times what you are planning for :)

Best,

AudioPhil

On 8/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, AudioPhil said:

Hi

I cannot comment on the driver since I use another DDC in front of the MC3+USB, but generally speaking I would use the latest one available.

60-80G would probably be enough for 3-4 times what you are planning for :)

Best,

AudioPhil

For those interested, I got a reply from Mutec re my Driver question for WS2019.

You should use the currently available driver from our website. That should work.

For Info.

Regards Cazzesman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil.

I have completed my Music PC rebuild with WS2019.   It was an entertaining process to say the least, being somewhat of PC novice.   Thankfully Google and Youtube vids got me through the process.  🙂

Installed AO 3.0 today as well as Fidelizer 8.4.   Together they are sounding superb so congrats on your efforts.  Just a couple of questions re what to enable/disable.

Re you Set-up guide..................

SCSI-Miniport Drivers.  Be very careful if you want to use this option. Only use it if you have IDE or SATA drives. Do not use this option under any circumstances if you have SAS, SCSI or RAID drives. If you still do so your system might not be able to boot again

Phil does enabling/disabling this aspect have a big effect on SQ?   I think it is safe from me to Disable.  I have the following setup.   If it has no great effect on SQ I will leave it alone.

My CAPS Lagoon is headless and I have MB is Intel DN280MT.   I have the Sotm PCIe attached.  I run two Sata drives - 128 gig for OS and Apps and 2tb for music storage.    I do have a NAS for storage but at this time it won't be feeding the Music PC. 

Network related Services.    This is one of the most important settings to decide about. Especially on the Audio PC it is very important to disable all network related services; this will result in a very nice step-up in overall sound quality. If you decide to disable network related services, Remote Desktop and Windows Remote Management will be automatically disabled as well. Depending on your scenario (Control PC for example), disabling all network related services also means dealing with some drawbacks. Depending on your needs, it might be best not to disable network related services on the Control PC. If you use network drives or a NAS, you won’t be able to connect to them anymore.

I have kept the Network services on as I want to see the Music PC on my Network to make minor changes as required.    I also run Remote Desktop Connection so have Enabled same.     I take it 'Remote Management' is having an Outside Connection via something like "LogmeIn'.  As I don't use such software I take it I can Disable it in AO and it won't affect any Network connections?

Thanks again

Regards Cazzesman