IGNORED

Win Server 2019/2016 General questions and discussions

Solid-State

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a cooper Ethernet NIC that has drivers for Win Server 2016?  My ASUS mobo doesn’t have any drivers for the onboard Ethernet controller so I am forced to use an add-on card.

Any recommendations?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

12 minutes ago, rickca said:

Thanks.

The issue with these Intel cards is that there are so many counterfeits.  It is hard to know what is legit and what's not.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 3 weeks later...

This question is about GUI and Core mode, not the AudiophileShell :)

As far as I know only GUI mode can display those kind of messages. You can't see them in Core.

(since you use the AudiophileShell I assume you are in Core....)

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

12 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

This question is about GUI and Core mode, not the AudiophileShell :)

As far as I know only GUI mode can display those kind of messages. You can't see them in Core.

(since you use the AudiophileShell I assume you are in Core....)

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks, I am using WIN2019 GUI evaluation and replacing the default shell with AS.

The problem is that if I am traveling for a couple weeks with the computer shut down, then it seems the OS is losing its evaluation days countdown place and resets to zero.. this is an audio PC, without persistent internet connection.

Upon boot, I will start with the AS and notice OS shutdown after a short while of playback. I need revert back to the default GUI shell to check, and there on the bottom right is the notice. So I want to check the countdown status every time upon boot without reverting back to default shell.

Is PowerShell command "slmgr -dlv" the easiest and most accurate place to view the countdown status?

• 2 weeks later...

A couple questions, and apologize in advanced if these have been addressed.

1. I'm installing server 2019 per the AO PDF (using the ISO link from the AO PDF as well).  This system can be nuked as many times as needed as I threw in a spare SSD for testing etc..  I also sent in a request for an AO eval if that is still possible.

A bit random, but how do individuals use server additions due to the cost?  I'm not referring to hacks, or illegal methods and I'm guessing users just bite the bullet and do it, but are there alternatives for these audio uses?  I know some just use the eval version and then rebuild every few months or whatever - I'm not interested in that.  If its easier/common to use WIn10 I can do that (that's my production setup), but would like to try server and AO just to "see" - per #2

2. Using a two "pc" setup - server 2019 with ROON server + HQP (fiber network), pushing local stream to a NAA (microU or OpticalRendu) in listening room, audio files on NAS etc..  Is this type of setup (with AO) a good candidate or do most go direct to DAC?  That question isn't unique but in the context of server version, AO, 2 pc config etc.. is a bit different then a standard pc setup, so just curious.

My rig

I am using 2 PC setup (Win10 AO to WinServer2019 GUI AO to some USB helper-stuff to DAC), but with JPlay (soon to change to HQPlayer 4).

AO is a big improvement, even on the WIN10 control (i7) machine.. the ability to select the digital filter and sound signature settings are mandatory to me. If not for AO, I would use Euphony or Volumio, either of those beat any non-AO Windows for my preferences.

Your configuration is much different due to the Rendu NAA, so I think you will need to try.. I suggest try WinServer2019 GUI with AO, make sure to play with the filter and signature settings to see if they have any effect. Hopefully someone with a similar endpoint can offer more concrete advice.

I think Server eval version lasts 3 years... so... (I am pretty old... ya never know 😲)

The server eval versions run for 180 days. This period can be "re-armed" five times in a row. So chances are high one will format and reinstall before the end of 5x180 days either way :)

Essentials Edition is around 50% of the standard price, so also an option.

____________________________________________________________________________________

i'm trying out ws2019 and am running into a problem that i can't figure out.

• computer is a nuc7i5 with 120 g ssd and 8 g of ram
  • was able to install ws2019 gui no problem
  • ethernet wasn't working, but found a post about how to install the ethernet controller -- so good there
  • connected my yggy and it was recognized immediately
  • installed roon bridge and it worked via wasapi with the yggy immediately -- good there, too.
  • next tried to install dirac live -- installation occurred with no problem
  • HOWEVER, i can't get audio out of dirac without complete distortion . . . 
    • roon to dirac is handled via wasapi; the only option for the output from dirac to the yggy is via kernel streaming -- this option "plays" but it's complete distortion
    • on my win10 machine, dirac to the yggy is handled via asio (says "asio for generic usb device") -- works perfectly
  • figured installing ao last after everything was working was the best approach.  installed ao without issue, but this didn't fix the problem.

how do i get dirac to work?!!  i've tried to install asio4all, but that still needs windows drivers to work.  kinda stuck, now.  could really use the help.

thanks!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, jcn3 said:

i'm trying out ws2019 and am running into a problem that i can't figure out.

• computer is a nuc7i5 with 120 g ssd and 8 g of ram
  • was able to install ws2019 gui no problem
  • ethernet wasn't working, but found a post about how to install the ethernet controller -- so good there
  • connected my yggy and it was recognized immediately
  • installed roon bridge and it worked via wasapi with the yggy immediately -- good there, too.
  • next tried to install dirac live -- installation occurred with no problem
  • HOWEVER, i can't get audio out of dirac without complete distortion . . . 
    • roon to dirac is handled via wasapi; the only option for the output from dirac to the yggy is via kernel streaming -- this option "plays" but it's complete distortion
    • on my win10 machine, dirac to the yggy is handled via asio (says "asio for generic usb device") -- works perfectly
  • figured installing ao last after everything was working was the best approach.  installed ao without issue, but this didn't fix the problem.

how do i get dirac to work?!!  i've tried to install asio4all, but that still needs windows drivers to work.  kinda stuck, now.  could really use the help.

thanks!

@AudioPhil -- i know this isn't an AO problem, but would certainly appreciate your thoughts.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Having been  a windows 10 user, I'm able to install windows server 2019 GUI, also jRiver, ...eventually get music playing. The result was definitely better than that on a w10. 

Naturally I am contemplating on  doing the same on ws2019 core mode. But without a desktop I'm totally lost. So my question is :

1) is it possible to do the same on the core mode - get music playing via jRiver? How can one navigate? 

2) with the help of AO 3.0, I reckon 1) would be possible 🤔 Would the installation doable for an illiterate like myself? 

I understand that ws2019 GUI +AO 3.0 would be about 95% of the core + 3.0. If the computer is used only for playing music, seems make sense to push for the best. 

Any helps appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:45 PM, jcn3 said:

@AudioPhil -- i know this isn't an AO problem, but would certainly appreciate your thoughts.

This is a very weird issue. Currently I have no idea to be honest, but i will think about it and possibly get back to you should I have an idea later on.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:45 AM, jeti said:

Having been  a windows 10 user, I'm able to install windows server 2019 GUI, also jRiver, ...eventually get music playing. The result was definitely better than that on a w10. 

Naturally I am contemplating on  doing the same on ws2019 core mode. But without a desktop I'm totally lost. So my question is :

1) is it possible to do the same on the core mode - get music playing via jRiver? How can one navigate? 

2) with the help of AO 3.0, I reckon 1) would be possible 🤔 Would the installation doable for an illiterate like myself? 

I understand that ws2019 GUI +AO 3.0 would be about 95% of the core + 3.0. If the computer is used only for playing music, seems make sense to push for the best. 

Any helps appreciated. 

To test my guides I gave them to my wife and placed her in front of my computer. All i gave her was the bootable usb stick with windows server. 1 hour later she was tapping with her toes and listening to music in core with JRiver. :) So in other words, yes of course you can do it. Everything is very well documented in our guides and also many additional more detailed how-to's are available here in the forum. You just need to take your time and read very carefully through the guides.