IGNORED

CD players are back ?

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

I wonder how many companies anymore make traditional CD mechanisms.

Lot of "CD players" I've seen recently use CD-ROM drives designed for computers and actually have computer ripping the CD on the fly and playing the ripped data. That's also what HQPlayer has been doing since the beginning (and doing also doing upsampling on the fly). That provided better playback quality already over 10 years ago, and still does... Since the CD is being read asynchronously and faster than playback speed, the mechanism doesn't affect playback at all.

Multi-format players such as DVD- and Bluray-players operate this way too when playing a CD.

Yes CD using CD- roms,  DVD players, SACD etc are enemies of CD playback. This was a marketing ploy. IF you look at the new cd players they use cd only transports/clocks and are far superior in sound quality. 

Music after life

8 hours ago, diecaster said:

Ok. Another person to put in my “Don’t Know What They Are Talking About” list.....

Of course there is bit perfect in digital audio. It’s not hard to read the bits of a CD perfectly. It happens most of the time. 

bit perfect concept works when you are loading a word document. Bit perfect in music has another variable  - time...and their lies the problem. So it has no meaning if bit perfect is being retrieved and sent to the destination with timing errors. That's why there are so many expensive sources like innuos. Computers are noisy sources. The innuos minimizes the timing errors by big and clean  power supplies and avoiding switches.

people need to realize electric circuits do not understand 1s and 0s. It is all volts/currents and errors are in various forms.

Consider reading a book on digital circuitry and you will quickly realize how complex this topic is and cannot justify by saying bit perfect.

Music after life

48 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Noise is the problem, not timing. Noise on the ground line; noise in the power; and clock phase noise.

I think you are misunderstanding the word timing - its same as clock...and my point again a bit perfect has zero meaning with a a noisy clock as in all computers. And if you think this statement is wrong then you definitely don't know what you are talking about - Moreover, i have a computer /electrical engineering degree from u of A.  Whats your background - please don't say computeraudiohpile website 😉

Music after life

quote from kalista review  -

The Kalista Dreamplay/DAC take the notion that CD is a dying medium and stomps all over it. If you listen to this player as a player then go back to the very best streaming can offer, you’ll start to wonder if we’ve taken a wrong turn in sound quality. This might be perhaps the most elaborate way of spinning a polycarbonate disc in a time of absolute convenience, and the cost might cause even the most spendthrift and well-heeled of audiophiles to think twice, but it sounds fantastic and that is ultimately all that matters.

Music after life

6 hours ago, diecaster said:

Of course you can! My DAC, a PS Audio DirectStream, has a track you can play that will show the text “Bit Perfect” on its display if the track gets to the DAC bit perfect. I have done this over USB and the Ethernet interface using both a direct connection and a Roon (with and without HQPlayer). 

So, again, you show you have no idea what you are talking about. 

ok you are just not getting the concept. You are thinking PS Audio bit perfect has anything to do with this conversation...thats like saying my  300 watt amp performance perfectly at 300 watts ...  And fyi..i had PS audio direct stream too..i sold it for a CD player that killed the PS audio in music performance....PS audio makes great digital players but its not in par with truly high end digital playback - there goes your bit perfect logic....so please sign off from this thread

Music after life

here is a review of the PS audio player from top magazine ..it says discs are better and i agree 100%. The  PS audio is not even using a dedicated cd transport but a oppo dvd player transport

In an era of streaming network-attached digital music sources you might think the time for listening to music as played from spinning silver discs is past, but that isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, if you have read between the lines of commentary from many of our reviewers you might have noticed a quiet trend; namely, a softly spoken preference for the sound quality of music played from discs as compared to the sound of the same music played from network-connected players or servers. It’s hard to say what accounts for this preference, but one explanation may be that top-shelf disc players are able to harvest audio data from discs with very few read errors (and thus minimal intrusion from error detection and correction algorithms) and can likewise present that data in as jitter-free a manner as possible. If that’s the case, then high-quality disc players may still enjoy a worthwhile performance edge vis-à-vis typical streaming solutions, meaning our prized disc collections might in turn have a new lease on life

Music after life

16 minutes ago, crenca said:

This thread has made no sense from the beginning.  Ajay does not seem to have a point, other than some vague audiophile assertions about digital audio that are meant to support audiophile solutions - which is commodity hardware sold at 10, 20, 30X its regular price.

Best to let it go I suppose...

That is my point - this review  from top magazine

In an era of streaming network-attached digital music sources you might think the time for listening to music as played from spinning silver discs is past, but that isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, if you have read between the lines of commentary from many of our reviewers you might have noticed a quiet trend; namely, a softly spoken preference for the sound quality of music played from discs as compared to the sound of the same music played from network-connected players or servers. It’s hard to say what accounts for this preference, but one explanation may be that top-shelf disc players are able to harvest audio data from discs with very few read errors (and thus minimal intrusion from error detection and correction algorithms) and can likewise present that data in as jitter-free a manner as possible. If that’s the case, then high-quality disc players may still enjoy a worthwhile performance edge vis-à-vis typical streaming solutions, meaning our prized disc collections might in turn have a new lease on life

Music after life

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Especially if the players first save the whole track to internal system memory .

its not as simple as that - if that was the case then streaming ( saved to same internal system memory) would sound the same as a disc? The article states the contrary. My point is making technical comments should be out of this context -  its the listening that speakers louder. I would like to hear from folks who have actually spent time listening to the latest CD transports from hegel, Jadis, CEC, TAD  (using CD drives from sanyo, phillips, etc) 

Music after life

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Personally, I don't accept that streaming can sound quite as good as direct play from a player of this type, where the ripped contents are saved to memory in an optimised player that does nothing but perform this task, and clocks out the data using a highly stable oscillator.

Yes i agree - 

Music after life