IGNORED

GentooPlayer

35 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

The only option, with my existing devices, might be  to try if GP can run on the old mac mini and try to run Roon server ... I do not know if it will work OK though!

There's also the option to install Ubuntu on your old Mac, and run Roon core with it. 

You can install it on a small external SSD, and boot from it. 

in order to see if GP will install on my old (late 2009 with ssd/8gb ram) mac mini what x86 version should download ?

BIOS xfce4?

Thanks!!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

I did and tried to boot from a USB drive but the Mini does not "see" it.. it searches for drive while booting but finally boots on MacOS

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

9 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

I did and tried to boot from a USB drive but the Mini does not "see" it.. it searches for drive while booting but finally boots on MacOS

Did you press the "alt" key, immediately after your Mini emitted the startup chime? 

If yes, did you connect the keyboard to your Mac with a wire or is it a wireless keyboard? 

14 minutes ago, Dandou said:

Did you press the "alt" key, immediately after your Mini emitted the startup chime? 

If yes, did you connect the keyboard to your Mac with a wire or is it a wireless keyboard? 

I pressed a combination of buttons as I read here

It was a wireless logitech keyboard & mouse with the logitech dongle

It seemed that the machine searched for boot drive (it didn't stard like normal boot with the apple logo and a loading bar) but after a while didn't find it and booted in MacOS.

For an Intel Mac, you only need to press the "alt" key that is also called "option" key. 

This is what I've been always doing, and also the official instruction from Apple's support: 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Try also to connect the keyboard to your Mac with a USB cable.

If it still does not work, there is probably an issue with the boot drive on your USB key.

Which OS did you install on it? 

1 hour ago, DomieMic65 said:

I pressed a combination of buttons as I read here

It was a wireless logitech keyboard & mouse with the logitech dongle

It seemed that the machine searched for boot drive (it didn't stard like normal boot with the apple logo and a loading bar) but after a while didn't find it and booted in MacOS.

It appears that the timing of when to push the buttons is key when using a wireless keyboard:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-manage-os-x-boot-options-with-wireless-keyboards/

http://blog.metamatt.com/blog/2012/12/27/mac-boot-drive-selection-from-bluetooth-keyboard/

In other words, the buttons need to be pressed after the computer runs the bit of software that tells it how to talk to the wireless keyboard. 

Or use a USB keyboard as @Dandou recommended.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Again... Lumin is the most frustrating app ever. Can't figure out how to play qobuz. Login. All my playlists are there. Hit a track/playlist/album... nothing will play... from playlist, from controls, nothing. Plays my files fine, desktop has no problem with qobuz, I stream from phone most days... Why? How? WTF?

Minimserver, bubleup, android. I mainly use Lumin for files on mercury. But of course you can stream tidal and qobuz. Qobuz comes up just fine. I hit a song, I get the controls... but no amount of secret magic presses or voodoo and chicken bones will it actually play. Can listen to files just fine. Can listen to qobuz with audirvana on desktop... which plays to Mercury... but Lumin, will not actually play anything on qobuz, no way, no how.

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

With MPD/Umpdcli/bubbleupnpserver on GP and lumin on iOS no issues. If android specific issues I’m afraid I can not help. Hope you are going to solve the issue.

Thank you, me too. Because I am ditching the desktop and setting up a real 2 ch downstairs. I can take my laptop to stream, but the phone would be super easy. I do listen a lot to my files and pick one and play is pretty darn simple.

17 minutes ago, Powerman said:

Thank you, me too. Because I am ditching the desktop and setting up a real 2 ch downstairs. I can take my laptop to stream, but the phone would be super easy. I do listen a lot to my files and pick one and play is pretty darn simple.

Maybe you just need to properly setup the app, check the single/double tap settings. Here is the user guide https://luminmusic.com/manual/app-introduction.html

Stefano

My audio system

@Dandou & @kumakuma thanks guys!
I will give it another try!!

The MacOS my Mini runs is 10.11.6 (El Capitan)