IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

26 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Sorry, it is a typo in 0.5. Not instead of now.... It will be corrected soon.

You can check status... rebooting

Ah...

When you say "You can check status... rebooting" do you mean that I should reboot for it to take effect or does it take effect immediately and show status the next time I reboot??

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

When in headless mode and I run alconf and chose option #1 "Save system (If in ram mode)" does this mean that if I run that script it will save my settings if my USB drive is still in place?

So what happens if I am in ram mode, pull the USB drive and then make a change? Is that something that basically only affects that session and is gone when I reboot?

I assume that if I am not in ram mode and I make a change it will always be saved to my USB drive for the next boot?

System

25 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi David,

We can help but need a bunch of details first. As you know there are a lot of knobs to set. Do you want to keep exploring options or are you done with the NUC?

I see you use a DDC for USB to spdif conversion. Do you know if the schitt eitr uses a XMOS USB chipset?

It would also be good to know how you are powering your NUC.

Thanks,

Larry

From the website looks like C-Media CM6631A USB 2.0

System

2 hours ago, austinpop said:
What is the proper way to update my system to 0.6 while preserving all customizations? I did this - downloaded the 3 files below:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 70295236 Dec  6 17:32 linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 16020220 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 18297092 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I then ran 

pacman -U linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 

I rebooted, but when I login, I still see 0.5 on the login screen. And, if I type alconf I still get the old menu. 

Finally, what is the command for the new monitor menu?

All of this is on headless.

Did you use your login information from your original email to get to the new version?

My login no longer works even for the old version...

System

2 hours ago, afrancois said:

Same here, I've updated the kernel, but the menu stays the same.

There must be some extra steps involved to update to 0.6

I contacted Piero. He said that he changes the passwords periodically. He sent me a new one and I downloaded the new install file.

This will not be much fun for him as his user base grows. It also does seem that this will produce a fresh install since you will be using RUFUS again to re-image your USB drive. I like lmitche's idea of creating a document with all of your previous configuration changes listed so that you can quickly run through them...again.

The good news is that I changed my CA profile yesterday to list Audiolinux with Roon as my new system. Pretty remarkable.

System

25 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you can monitor the CPU temperature from within AL headless by simply typing: sensors.

I'm running 0.5 on a stock unit NUC7i7DNHE in RAM using extreme mode.  72 C° seems quite high.

image.thumb.png.88f1603e56bd24a842490eba38123636.png

Do you know what the "high" and "critical" values represent? Are these bios settings for warning or are there historical values that have been previously reached... or none of the above?

My two endpoints running in extreme mode show different measured values. My NUC reads ~60 and my HDPlex ~47.

System

6 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Have others that have AL + REF10 noticed that it takes up to an hour before the REF10 gives it maximum potential?

This only came to my attention after installing AL.

I know that some of you let the REF10 always ON.

I leave my front end always on and my tube equipment gets turned off. I have a REF10 and I am pretty sure that it takes a while for it to reach thermal equilibrium. I could not say how long it takes before it no longer affects SQ...

System

4 minutes ago, Monge said:

After Ramboot Enable In Al Headless 0.6 with Putty then I need to reboot. But whats the reboot command and where should I be.

Thanks Monge

Reboot with the command:
sudo reboot

I now have a Word document with all of the commands and tips from Piero's web site and the two threads here on CA. Very useful.

System

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

It has also been a while since I have used WinSCP. My previous linux endeavors are far back in the past.

No problem copying files from my NAS to the NUC's memory (running AL in ramboot)

image.thumb.png.d846584c8fe8daadff6e40db13dda9af.png

Have also successfully mounted audiolinux/home/audiolinux/music in Roon.

Then I searched in Roon after Hells Bells and of course, I found two entries. Be right clicking on the icon right of the title you can query the file location. Take the one that's in memory and compare with the one coming from the NAS.

I haven't done the comparison yet. Perhaps put something more audiophile into the folder ?

Can you open a file, edit it and then save it back to AL?

System

8 hours ago, greenleo said:

I tried to set up a WiFi bridge (as in the OG ) but failed in AL.  However, enentually, I managed to connect through wifi to my router with Piero's help (many thanks Piero) and the reading.

To setup a WiFi link is relatively straight forward but still pretty laborious for a Window guy.  Basically you need to install the driver for the WiFi adapter 1st.  Then follow the WPA_supplicant web page (which is manageable but not easy, at least I found it not too easy).  I would not go into the details.  Complications may  still arise like the adapter may not be able see all the APs, difficulty in using 802.11x, ...etc.   No intention to frighten you but as a friendly reminder/warning.

If money is not a concern, using a switch may provide equal or better SQ, my speculation.  I recall Larry mentioned he may try the EtherRegen which I'm eagerly waiting as well.  For great switches already available, search Roy's or Rajiv's posts may help.

Hope this helps.

I remember several years ago when the dedicated audio server articles came out it was always suggested that WiFi transmitters be kept a good distance from the server/endpoint due to radio noise. It also seems to me that running an internal WiFi or an external USB WiFi dongle will increase power requirements and heat.

One way to get around this could be to use even a modest router set to bridge mode and connect it to your existing ethernet port. You could use a 10 foot or longer ethernet cable to keep the router at a significant distance from the NUC/PC. The only gotcha would be the possibility of ground currents and noise coming through the ethernet cable from the distant SMPS of the router.

Another experiment!

System

17 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Did you clone a drive with ramroot already enabled? sounds like it's enabled.

If I run "ramroot status" it shows as not enabled. Also the reason I know that it is not enabled is that my when I pulled my USB drive after booting up the endpoint crashed..

System

4 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Cloning is different from copying files... you cannot make from "inside" the OS you are cloning and you should use a dd command, since you must copy the files and the partitions.

I made an ISO file from the USB2 drive and used RUFUS as DD to "clone" that to a new USB3 drive. Is that correct?

Sounds like a perfect time to upgrade to headless .6 ?

System

4 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

If you want to update from last version you can install the new menu with these commands (as root)

pacman -S lftp sysstat
lftp -e 'mirror https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/packages/menu /tmp; bye'
cd /tmp
tar -xvpf almenu.tar.gz
cp -prf scripts /opt/
cp -prf sudoers /etc/sudoers
ln -s /opt/scripts/alconf.sh /usr/bin/alconf
ln -s /opt/scripts/almon.sh /usr/bin/almon
ln -s /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh /usr/bin/alupdate
ln -s /opt/scripts/menu.sh /usr/bin/menu

If you want also the web interface (as user):
yaourt -S shellinabox-git

As root:

cd /tmp
lftp -e 'get https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/temp/webinterface.tar.gz; bye'
tar -xvpf webinterface.tar.gz
cp -prf shellinabox /etc/
cp -prf [email protected] /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

After you can connect from a browser with
http://ipaddress:8500

Piero this is excellent , especially for us Linux newbies. Thanks for listening to our grumbling and ramblings...

You must be peddling pretty fast these days!

I assume that we either have to exit ramroot and then reboot(with the USB drive inserted) in order to make these changes ...or else in ramroot, with the USB drive in place, choose "Save System" from the alconf menu?

System

6 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

If you want to update from last version you can install the new menu with these commands (as root)

pacman -S lftp sysstat
lftp -e 'mirror https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/packages/menu /tmp; bye'
cd /tmp
tar -xvpf almenu.tar.gz
cp -prf scripts /opt/
cp -prf sudoers /etc/sudoers
ln -s /opt/scripts/almon.sh /usr/bin/almon
ln -s /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh /usr/bin/alupdate
ln -s /opt/scripts/menu.sh /usr/bin/menu

If you want also the web interface (as user):
yaourt -S shellinabox-git

As root:

cd /tmp
lftp -e 'get https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/temp/webinterface.tar.gz; bye'
tar -xvpf webinterface.tar.gz
cp -prf shellinabox /etc/
cp -prf [email protected] /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

After you can connect from a browser with
http://ipaddress:8500

In version .6 as root, when I type in:

I get an error: "ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/alconf' : file exists"

System

45 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

If in some version the link is already there, no problem, type the other commands.

Thanks. I have the menus now. Very helpful.

Installing the browser access seems to need some help. I got through the scripts without issue but cannot seem to connect using http://ipaddress:8500

image.png.145a7e941e0a9835b550d37029d63e64.png

System