IGNORED

Ethan Winer Null Test For WIre

jtwrace

27 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ain't science grand - it compartmentalises our existence; every year it explains absolutely everything, until next year when it explains even more of "absolutely eberything" - ad infinitum ...

Science may not be perfect but it's better than the alternative...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Over time, the scientific method has moved us closer to an understanding of objective reality.

For audio ? Not really that I notice.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Along the lines of "how far have we progressed, really?", a current high end system using German cinema speakers that are about 60 years old produces sound which meets most of the criteria for competence - superb soundstage, essentially invisible in operation, full dynamics, ...

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Really?  We did not have recorded music at all; then shellac; 45s; LPs; wire recorders; tape; optical...

Ah, so that emerged by "scientific method". OK, I didn't realize you were hinting at that.

So if I start using a lower noise power supply (say because of some new chips on the block), this is developed by scientific method ?

Nah ...

It would be when I would be able to objectively measure the result on audio, for this new power supply. And *that* I sadly can't. I can measure the output noise / ripple etc. of the power supply though. Thus scientific after all ?

swoon.gif.89481d49bcac6f5f5b3812ec8c59ec46.gif

XXHighEnd (developer)

PS: I know this is gray area, but I do see how my own audio (and products if I may say so) improve vastly over time (and faster and faster), but the only science I see in it is my self-reasoning.

If we'll admit that this is science indeed, then OK.

haha

XXHighEnd (developer)

There is science, and there is applied science...they are two different things...one is best operated at arms-length and the other involves actually doing something with the knowledge.  In my life experience, generally speaking, those that are good at one are crap at the other...go figure.

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I've done both, so keep figuring.

But were you good at either? ?

In my experience you have all kinds.  Sometimes it seems in my limited experience to work best when a theoretical scientist works with an experimental scientist.  But hey take it with a grain of salt.  I'm not a scientist and didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.