IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I'm afraid you're wrong... 🤨. What a well sorted $100,000 system does is bring out the music captured at the time, without distracting you with inadequacies of the recording technique; what a poor $100,000 system does is present an assortment of the flaws I mentioned in my previous post.

Huh?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

21 minutes ago, STC said:

So my posts were sophomoric?  one delusional guy took us a ride for over thousands of post when all along he was describing the sound of an average high fidelity equipment and another one with damaged hearing siting with headphones lecturing me about downsampled Dolby. and my posts got deleted. 

Settle down. This is audio. It’s a hobby. 

Posts from more people than you were removed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...

Noting this post,

For me a classic example of how audio people see everything back to front - the rig is the master, and the poor recording is slave to its verdict on whether a recording is worth listening to ... but, the audio world becomes a vastly more interesting place when you turn that on its head - is my system good enough to bring out fully what's on the recording, every time? Turns out that all those "bland" recordings are actually very engaging, and full of Easter eggs of interesting sounds - to "make things worse", it's the "audiophile" tracks that become rather threadbare, because everything was reduced to the minimum to make sure absolutely nothing would offend the listener, 😜.

I can’t understand what you mean by this post. Can you explain it for people like me who are a bit slow?

Could I ruin the magic of those headphones? Very, very easy - just insert, say, a high power handling 6 ohm resistor in series with the headphones input

That makes no sense. Why would you do that? Stick a pencil in your tweeter. Bet it sounds bad. 

The RAALs sound fabulous with direct drive amps too :~)

Can you get a pair to test?

28 minutes ago, fas42 said:

No worries, Chris 😉 .. I'm very intrigued about these RAAL transducers doing such a marvellous job - and started thinking about why it was so ... and laid out my thoughts on the matter. The plus is that if one truly understands what's going on, then that helps with the next stage of evolving audio systems, in general ... 👍.

Thanks for your understanding Frank. 

You’re absolutely right in that one must understand what’s going on to evolve. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The reaction of David, @Audiophile Neuroscience, here,

is what I've seen repeated over and over again, in person, and in forums ... there is an absolute determination to believe that an assembled, "high end", rig is the arbiter of the quality of what's possible - and the relatively poor performance of just about every ambitious setup I come across is "proof" of what that then results in: very poor value for money in terms of what is extracted, musically, from the vast archive of recordings that exists, out there.

Will this ever change? Hmmm ... but, eventually, almost certainly - a new generation of music replay enthusiasts will form, who don't hang onto old ideas - they will be willing to try new approaches, and reap the benefits ... time, the great miracle worker, will perform its magic ... again, 😉.

Some times there’s good reason old ideas hang around. They’re just better. In addition, newer things are often for convenience, smaller size, or just flashier.

Not saying that’s the case here, but I know it to be true in other cases.  

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Yes, the 'good' old ideas will sustain - an apt example is highly efficient, well engineered horn speakers, born at the very beginning of serious audio; examples 50 years old can easily "outplay" most of the current stuff - in the right hands, 🙂.

I love me some horn speakers. I came close to getting Avantgardes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...