IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The SQ I pursue is the absence of the "electronic" quality that, say, is so obvious at an audio show - walk into a room of very expensive gear, and it just "smells" of being a hifi rig; miles from fooling anyone that it's the "real thing". Now, just take the process of eliminating that distinctive whiff of audio components, in the sound, to the n'th degree, and you get what is possible from even low priced items - a feeling of "naturalness" in the music you listen to ...

Wow its hard to imagine a more obvious reverse snobbery bias against expensive gear. Maybe we should do some blind testing that includes sticking cotton wool up your nose to block the stench of high-end gear 😲

Sound Minds Mind Sound

33 minutes ago, fas42 said:

does that mean, that every expensive setup you've come across at an audio show always has that "fool you!" quality, every time?

This is irrelevant to your price bias and that among your magic talents you can smell audio quality 🤔

53 minutes ago, fas42 said:

walk into a room of very expensive gear, and it just "smells" of being a hifi rig; miles from fooling anyone that it's the "real thing". Now, just take the process of eliminating that distinctive whiff of audio components, in the sound, to the n'th degree, and you get what is possible from even low priced items - a feeling of "naturalness" in the music you listen to ...

33 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've been to Audio Connection a few times in years gone by, and the standard of their most expensive rigs, on the floor, was pretty awful - if it's pricey, it should perform - no excuses ...

Confirmation bias works both ways. If it doesn't have your magic touch it will sound lousy to you.

I have heard fantastic and lousy sound at high end dealerships.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I was referring to the the fact that the signature of the rig is so overt, that you can almost "smell it".

and yet what you actually said was

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

walk into a room of very expensive gear, and it just "smells" of being a hifi rig; miles from fooling anyone that it's the "real thing".

I think what is clear here Frank is that if it doesn't have your scent on it, you won't like it. Its called Confirmation bias

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, Iving said:

There are two overall forms of synesthesia:

projective synesthesia: people who see actual colors, forms, or shapes when stimulated (the widely understood version of synesthesia).

associative synesthesia: people who feel a very strong and involuntary connection between the stimulus and the sense that it triggers.

Nonetheless, whether synaesthetic or neurotypical, the distortion is driven by confirmation bias for Frank who smells expensive gear and hears bad sound.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

28 minutes ago, Iving said:

Well - I am not invoking synesthesia to explain confirmation bias as such - although I suppose one could. I don't even know the Frank back story [just the mid-sentence exclamation!! marks]. All I read this morning was someone experiencing conflation/crossover sensory modalities. Given the "spatial" aspect to synesthesia, and the topic Title, one has to wonder.

Oh so Frank judges SQ with smell? Well of course that reads absurdly. OTOH the Wiki summary refers to a "semantic vacuum hypothesis" for developmental synesthesia and; later, says, "According to [ideasthesia], synesthesia is a phenomenon mediated by the extraction of the meaning of the inducing stimulus. Thus, synesthesia may be fundamentally a semantic phenomenon. Therefore, to understand neural mechanisms of synesthesia the mechanisms of semantics and the extraction of meaning need to be understood better. This is a non-trivial issue because it is not only a question of a location in the brain at which meaning is "processed" but pertains also to the question of understanding ... Thus, the question of the neural basis of synesthesia is deeply entrenched into the general mind–body problem".

So Frank's apparent or actual "confirmation bias" could be just one way of looking at how we all map meaning to experiences - only in this case with reference to a particular [spatially gifted?] person.

In the vernacular - in my own words - is it possible that Frank experiences High End equipment in Shows with quite a sense of awe - the first hand experience is replete with meaning. His own experiential background - what he already understands/believes as it were - maps to that new experience with a particular kind of interpretation involving auditory and olfactory experiences in a classically synesthetic way. Even if we still regard this as bias or even prejudice - it is still real - and Frank isn't making it up or hoping to wind everybody up.

I can't help it. I am just always generous about people. 🥰

I think there's a far simpler explanation. I sent a PM.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:
17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Again, most of you have heard "magic sound" from some, perhaps spectacularly ambitious, expensive or tremendously tweaked system - so all of you who have heard this at least once knows it exists ... the problem is, that you want this to be the result of enormous amounts of money thrown at it, and it disturbs you that it can be achieved via other means.

If you are only interested in achieving SQ below what's possible, that's fine - but the option is always there to getting those sorts of results, if you decide to pursue it ... it's up to you ...

Read more  

Straw Man Fallacy

exactly so! This is one of the reasons that these sorts of posts are so hard to ignore...... the "offender" will endeavour to not let you ignore. To get attention they simply invent an argument (straw man fallacy) which they attribute to somebody. Most reasonable people do not like to be misrepresented in this way. Yes of course you can ignore it and of course you can't stop to respond to every barking dog otherwise you never reach your destination. On the other hand when people are putting words in your mouth some members may assume that it's a true characterisation if you don't point out otherwise. 

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

My POV is that the $100k rig needs sorting just as much my budget combinations - if everything is equally dealt with, then of course the higher quality of the more expensive gear will easily be heard to be superior to the cheap stuff. But if the exercise of resolving issues is not carried out, then the lower priced rig will win, in terms of making recordings satisfying to listen to.

I have been following Frank's posts since CC suggested he review his posting habits....

So, the revelatory news is that expensive high end gear will sound better than lo-fi budget gear if both are optimally set up.

Hmmm Frank appears to be telling us that provided you can afford it, buy "the higher quality of the more expensive gear will (be) easily be heard to be superior to the cheap stuff".

You know Frank, I think some "cheap stuff" can sound very good indeed. You do have to know how to tweak it tho !🤣😲😁🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is missing why I keep repeating the same message ... a chain of 100 links has 10 which are faulty in various ways - people tell stories here, and on other forums, about what they did to improve 2, 3, 4 of those links - and the chain still breaks ... I'm telling the story that all 10 links need to be 'fixed', for the chain to be strong enough - that's what creates the 'magic', and something that everyone can do ...

yeh but I already do this better than you do. Hey, I am telling the story that all 20 links need to be fixed 🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You forgot to throw in the condition, there, that the expensive gear has been, ummm, sorted ...

Not according to you....

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

My POV is that the $100k rig needs sorting just as much my budget combinations

seems even you have a need to disagree with yourself!

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

BTW, my comment about Ferrari has been largely misunderstood - irony doesn't go down well in audio forums, it seems ... of course the Ferrari is a special vehicle, worthy of the money - because enormous attention to detail has gone into the design, and its ability to function as a completely integrated system has been very carefully tested ... the very things that are often missing in ambitious audio rigs, 😉.

Nah this is just another disagreement with yourself, called contradiction!

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ahh, that NAD integrated is midfi - shame on Audio Connections selling the thing, they should be shot for that evil deed!

Stop referencing Audio Connections [High End Retailer]. Joe will send out the audio police for misrepresenting them. He would be the first one to tell you your gear is mid-fi and likely, so is the sound.He would however offer to optimize your system, fixing your mess, for very minimal cost.

Sound Minds Mind Sound