IGNORED

Is this website about "computer" audio anymore?

46 minutes ago, sandyk said:

LOL ! :D

Still using your DIY amplifier , and without further problems ?

I took your advice (and @Bob Stern ) and rebuilt it, and put the power supplies and toroid into a separate (metal) box.  It genuinely sounds better now (much lower noise floor). I bought parts to do it several years ago but never got around to it, so thanks for the encouragement!

Here is how it looked when I was testing (before I sealed it up):

IMG_0611.jpg

16 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Bill

That's pleasing to hear. That is why I also have my Class A Amplifier PSUs , as well as the 2 toroidal transformers for my Preamp in a separate 2U metal rack case.

Regards

Alex

15W Class A Amplifier -NEW PSU 2012 .jpg

They have quite a bit of breathing room!

One issue (which is minor, but still annoys me) is that I get "pops" when the power comes on to the amplifier boards.  This happens with one power supply connected to both boards, or two separate power supplies each connected to one board.  It is silent when I turn it off (no "thump").  But this annoys me.  The Ncore-400s I was loaned don't do that.  Is this an artifact of linear power supplies?  Is there something I can do to get rid of it (within reason -- it isn't that big of a deal, and I don't want to interfere with sound quality due to a momentary issue).

19 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have no knowledge of this, so temper my recommendations with that knowledge, but is it possible to implement a slow or soft start circuit?

That is what I am hoping for, but I don't know the first thing about it. But it is 3:00 am next Tuesday in Australia.