IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, goon525 said:

One of the biggest Qobuz ‘plusses’ against its competition has been the access to sleeve notes, booklets etc. This is particularly valuable for those of us who listen primarily to classical. But recently there has been a significant falling off in its provision. Two examples, both from labels which have hitherto always provided the booklets, at least for new releases:- Benjamin Grosvenor’s Chopin Piano Concertos on Decca, and Vikingur Olafsson’s new Debussy and Rameau disc on DG (I should acknowledge that this latter is available to stream in 192/24 - no complaints about that!).

I don’t think ‘We can only provide what the record companies give us’ is an adequate answer - it’s a real USP for Qobuz, who should insist on the provision contractually.

You need to tell the labels to provide this to Qobuz. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, goon525 said:

No, that’s hardly my job. What I was pointing out was that their provision gives Qobuz a marketing advantage, and they should be securing continuation. 

Not giving out jobs but rather suggesting how you might get what you want. Feel free to berate Qobuz and hope it works though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, Mark Dirac said:

Good question. Long ago, one of the qobuz boys said "yes", and to report them here. But that's just too inefficient a process - there are far too many to be processed via this forum. I reported a couple to the support desk, but was treated like a child and so have given up.

If qobuz set up some reporting mechanism for enthusiasts such as us, I could imagine we could provide a worthwhile crowd service to Qobuz.

My guess is that reporting metadata errors to the people responsible for the errors is most efficient. Thus, letting the record label know is best. 

59 minutes ago, athegn said:

I like Qobuz for its catalogue; I have no interest in Hi Res.

However I have problems with it on my phone. My phone is my source of music when away from home and where, very often, I have no signal. So I Import in Quality all my playlists; each playlist is an album. For CDs I own I rip and play these in PowerAmp on my phone.

However several times recently I have had to power off my phone. This removes all my Import in Quality data. I then have to re import; painful with over 100 playlists.

Is there a way to backup the Imports so I can add them back to the SD card when a
I power up the phone.

I have many albums imported / offline in Qobuz and they are there after reboots. Something is up with your phone or process. 

Why create playlists for albums when you can just offline the album?

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, firedog said:

Hi-

Anyone else have issues with Qobuz streaming today? I rarely have a problem, but today I'm getting frequent dropouts and even outright loss of connection. 

My internet speed seems to be okay, and I'm not having any other issues except for with Qobuz.

Qobuz app or integration with another app?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, johey said:

I can't access this album anymore: https://open.qobuz.com/album/s1jqzd5x0vjzb

Not with the Windows App and not with the web player. It's always giving HTTP error 500. I was able to play this a few weeks ago. Other albums are still working.

The Windows App often keeps crashing though. Clearing the cache isn't really a solution as the problem keeps coming back.

I've got these issues on different computers that all have very good specifications. 

Will the "issue with the desktop app about buffer and cache" be solved soon?

Thanks for your response.

Willing to bet the album is no longer available. 

15CECC5D-B961-4982-BA24-44EB32191FB0.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPnP/DLNA is the most nonstandard standard. Qobuz will be fighting problems with the protocol’s implementation on an hourly basis if it decides to fully support it. I wish this wasn’t the case, but it is. 

JRiver, Audirvana, etc... have years of experience applying patches to make things work with different hardware. The Qobuz team has a ton if work ahead it to make this work. 

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Qobuz themselves appear to be confident that they are more than capable of properly implementing UPnP/DLNA itself and the reason for the delay is due to a security issue with the way the audio is being streamed by their own applications that they need to sort out first:

I’d love to see it happen, but my comments are based on a decade of talking to people who’ve developed apps to work with DLNA renderers. I’m also not trying to be a downer. I just know what it takes to get it done and to constantly fix the issues. I’ve personally delivered hardware to the JRiver office so they could work on an issue. The JRiver team releases nightly updates. Contrast this with the resources of the Qobuz team. I wish it wasn’t the case. Honestly. 

It also will be hard because we as a group are difficult to please. We want everything to work perfectly. Gapless isn’t an issue for the general population, but for us it’s a must on all our devices. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

Every player software including Roon goes though this process. In fact, Roon has a massive collection of gear in house for this very reason.

JRiver, Audirvana, etc should handle the streaming because this is what they do best. Qobuz user can use their app on mobile devices.

The thing with Roon is they get to certify all the gear and ask for changes by the manufacturer. UPnP/DLNA is the wild west. I commend all the people who've made it work over the years. 

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I can't say it's been that wild or that hard to get DLNA/UPnP to work. It's always been very easy and very reliable. Our new Sonore endPoint is DLNA/UPnP and I have zero concern about it and know it will have minimal support.   

You guys are lucky you do t have to get UPnP to work with other hardware. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

The issue is not with the UPnP / DLNA protocol per se but with the implementation. Most high end audio manufactures do not have software developers in-house to deal with mobile, desktop and web based development. Take for example company X. They make excellent power amps and pre amps but have never developed a streamer or even an app but now, due to market demand, they want to offer a streamer. They can invest money into the project, hire software developers, R&D people, etc... this is very costly and time consuming. Or they can they outsource to a third party that has built a low powered module with code base from 15 years ago. It support DLNA but only some of the features. It may have been developed prior to DLNA spec-ing gapless playback (Just an example) but it is cheap and allows faster time to market for the new product. So company X goes with the second option. The product goes under review and the reviewer, who does not know what gapless playback is or have never read the DLNA specs give it a great feedback. Months down the road, a user will complain on this forum that some features are missing but company X does not have a clue what is he taking about.

This scenario is very common. I have seen it with companies that sell streamers for more than $10k only to find out that the network module is a 20 dollars card with crippled functionality.

The DLNA “Alliance” dissolved years ago having left the licensing to a 3rd party who use this as a money grab so companies can have the DLNA logo in their products.

+1

3 minutes ago, Mike48 said:

I appreciate your saying that. I use products at price points ranging from an Auralic Aries G1 to a Raspberry Pi, and they all work reliably with DLNA. None of the software I use is expensive; from free apps such as Volumio to JRiver at about $60. All handle it fine. JRiver has done that since before I started using it, about 8 years ago. MinimServer (which was free for many years), also.

@The Computer Audiophile, I understand that companies complain, but companies that have had trouble with something new might just blame it on on someone else. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / but in ourselves...."

It is clear, as @Ran pointed out, that some firms try to get into streaming with neither a real understanding of it nor a willingness to commit adequate resources. They wind up using DBD (defective by design) chipsets like those chosen by brands "P" and "C", not testing them adequately, and selling expensive products that don't work right. I am not sure that implementing streaming need be terribly costly, but I am sure it demands attention to detail. If companies can do listening tests on each resistor (as some claim to do), surely they can accomplish working DLNA. How the hell can a high-end company sell a product that doesn't do gapless playback and call it "state of the art" (as company "P" did)? The only answer is sloppiness and ignorance of the real issues involved.

Thanks to @Cebolla for pointing out that the issue in Qobuz's case may relate to security, rather than audio technology.

All your stuff works well because JRiver has a software team that has worked on DLNA for 17 years.

Just now, Mike48 said:

I call it "concern for quality" and "knowing what you're doing." Not just JRiver, but the majority of other firms have been able to do it right.

Selling something that doesn't work, I call "sloppiness" and "hiding your head in the sand."

Would you excuse a bad power amp by saying design is difficult? I don't think there is anything in life that is easy to do right. I thought high-end audio was about doing it right, not taking the easy path and then complaining it was too hard.

I think we agree on all of that. 

The discussion started by me saying DLNA is hard because it's a nonstandard standard and hardware manufacturers don't all follow the rules. I'm not giving them a pass. I'm saying it will be a huge uphill battle for the tiny Qobuz team to do it right and to maintain it.