IGNORED

Concert Hall sound

12 minutes ago, STC said:

Didnt you read the post about near field listening?  The same applies to headphones listening. The room equation is removed. It is still there ( over loudspeakers) but the level is different and just like a microphone within the critical distance the bad room may not sound bad at near field listening. Sometimes it can be nice provided there is no unusual peaks in the reverbs/reflection. 

The point about achieving convincing SQ is that the "room equation is removed" - subjectively, the room you're actually in disappears - and is replaced by the spaces of the recording. Which mean that you can be on a football ground - or squashed in a tiny recording booth; what you're listening to is in control of the ambience. In fact, it will be a major effort to register a sound in the listening area at all - if a phone happens to ring you will very likely miss it completely - this has happened to me often.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The point about achieving convincing SQ is that the "room equation is removed" - subjectively, the room you're actually in disappears - and is replaced by the spaces of the recording. Which mean that you can be on a football ground - or squashed in a tiny recording booth; what you're listening to is in control of the ambience. In fact, it will be a major effort to register a sound in the listening area at all - if a phone happens to ring you will very likely miss it completely - this has happened to me often.

Why not just use headphones? They will sound alike irrespective of the room acoustics. 

22 minutes ago, STC said:

Why not just use headphones? They will sound alike irrespective of the room acoustics. 

Unfortunately, headphones don't do it for me - I was lent a pair of pricey Sennheisers for a while - could only take it for about 5 minutes. And the quality wasn't there - the loudspeaker experience is far superior, in every area.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Unfortunately, headphones don't do it for me - I was lent a pair of pricey Sennheisers for a while - could only take it for about 5 minutes. And the quality wasn't there - the loudspeaker experience is far superior, in every area.

Especially, the Philips HTbox set speakers. They are unbeatable when it comes to SQ. Is India still supplying their drivers?

18 minutes ago, STC said:

Especially, the Philips HTbox set speakers. They are unbeatable when it comes to SQ. Is India still supplying their drivers?

Actually, this was when some Technics Phase Linear speakers, that late 70's step back style of thing, ruled the roost. The story is, what the speakers are matters for very little once the playback chain is sorted - the content of the recording dominates the subjective experience; a particular recording will "always sound the same".

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Sounds like your rig's not there yet. On a fully debugged and sorted system, even the cheapest earbuds sound better than loudspeakers.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Looking at some of the comments here, I think it is not about sound reproduction but audiophile is about someone’s belief. 

About a decade or so, if I were to say that a DVD classical video sounded more realistic compared to CD sound, I would probably laughed at. Even now, I could hear the murmur. 

But for people like Kal and Fris... , can relate to them because they have probably setup both system and heard the difference. For most, any opinion of sound different from their traditional 2.0 is affront to their long held belief that stereo is perfect. 

Is this some sort of mind conditioning? 

4 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Sounds like your rig's not there yet. On a fully debugged and sorted system, even the cheapest earbuds sound better than loudspeakers.

That’s absolutely not my experience and I’ve had some pretty fancy headphone systems during the time my daughter was studying and didn’t want my music interfering. Rigs included Stax with tube energiser, some German tube amp (with lots of Perspex so you could see the glow), AKG K1000 Earspeakers etc. They all sounded lovely but really could not creat the quality of sound I get from my loudspeakers

11 hours ago, STC said:

And consistently distort the acoustical presentation unless one uses something like the Smyth Realiser (see another thread).

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

9 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Because I cannot.  I find the inherent flaws of headphones in soundstage/imaging intolerable.

I don’t use headphones except for testing and blind tests. And occasionally for late sitcoms in the bedroom. 

I still remember my first experience when I put on the headphones when I was a kid. It was so unnatural and I was looking up because the sound was inside my head. However, after 50 years of being familiar how they sound inside the head, the inside the head sound is not very obvious nowadays. We tend to adjust somehow. 

9 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I assume that you were making a funny/sarcastic comment to Frank about his "perfect" setup. But headphones are just a matter of taste. Just like tubes/solid state, PCM/DSD, etc.  Some people prefer one, some the other. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

That’s absolutely not my experience and I’ve had some pretty fancy headphone systems during the time my daughter was studying and didn’t want my music interfering. Rigs included Stax with tube energiser, some German tube amp (with lots of Perspex so you could see the glow), AKG K1000 Earspeakers etc. They all sounded lovely but really could not creat the quality of sound I get from my loudspeakers

1 hour ago, firedog said:

I assume that you were making a funny/sarcastic comment to Frank about his "perfect" setup. But headphones are just a matter of taste. Just like tubes/solid state, PCM/DSD, etc.  Some people prefer one, some the other. 

Of course I was. Unlike Frank's equipment, my components are subject to the laws of physics. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

18 hours ago, semente said:

If you look closely those " Mch recordings are simply ignored in favor of" 2-channel recordings.

To me, immersive 3D audio is a gimmick just like 3D video. Mch is too expensive and the material is let's be honest scarce.

The reason I discussed mic and speaker arrays is because they would be the closest you'd get to the real thing though we'd probably have to ignore problems caused by the interaction of so many drivers.

Finally, as @gmgraves  @cookiemarenco  and others with recording experience would attest, tampering with the signal will reduce its quality and ultimately realism.

As for 3D Immersive formats, amplifying what I said,  if they can demonstrate audible benefits that bring us closer to concert hall sound as well as commercial viability for music, they might be of interest.  Otherwise, not to me.  Gimmick?  I don't see that in Auro, which was developed by a major European music recording studio.  But, for music, Atmos and DTS:X do not seem suitable, though they might succeed with cinema.  However, I have heard diminished returns from an added height dimension in auditions of Auro simply because our ears naturally have diminshed spatial acuity in that dimension vs. X-Y.

The question of whether existing 5.1/7.1 Mch is too expensive is a personal decision.  Since clearly you have not heard it and its degree of improvement over the limitations of stereo, you seem to be relying on blind prejudice rather than experience in judging it.  Also, the spherical recording/playback technique you espouse strikes me as even more complex and costly than, say, 5.1 Mch on both the recording production and playback sides.  We have no idea whether the proposed benefits of spherical arrays are worthwhile or not.

Incidentally, 5.1/7.1 is not scarce at all.  It seems you have not looked for such releases.  Certainly the catalog is not as extensive as stereo CD, which has existed for decades longer than Mch formats.  But, as I said, I have thousands of such Mch recordings on my NAS, and they continue to be released on SACD, BD-A, BD-V and downloads.  Discs are easily available from Amazon and numerous other retailers.  A simple search for Mch recordings at this site might reveal how extensive the catalog is:

Your mindset seems dead against more than two mics.  Good luck finding recordings that fit your ideal, and I am willing to wager that they are vastly outnumbered by discrete Mch recordings.  Even in the '50's, RCA, Mercury and others were using 3 mics, which BTW sound noticeably better on their SACD remasters in 3.0 than in 2.0.   And, if additional mics for Mch in the hall are capable of capturing reflected hall ambience with proper directional cues, why are they a bad thing?  If they overcome stereo's known limitations to providing concert hall sound by providing more of the natural sonic information from the venue, why dismiss them? 

Ok, you have not heard these Mch recordings on a proper Mch system, so you imagine faults they must have simply because the idea offends you.  You are fully entitled to your views, as are we all, but yours would have more credibility if they were based on actual listening experience.

47 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:
The question of whether existing 5.1/7.1 Mch is too expensive is a personal decision.  Since clearly you have not heard it and its degree of improvement over the limitations of stereo, you seem to be relying on blind prejudice rather than experience in judging it. 

I have no doubt about the advantages of multi-channel just as I have no doubt that it's implementation is more expensive.

It's got nothing to do with personal decisions. Imagine a budget of say 10k; isn't it obvious that if you have to buy twice as many speakers and amplification these will be of lower performance? A Mch system will also need more floorspace than what is commonly available in European homes.

47 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Your mindset seems dead against more than two mics.

I'm just being realistic. I can buy a better 2-channel system for the same amount and even though I'm a classical music listener I doubt that more than 2% of my ~2500 albums exists in Mch. Some (maybe a lot) or the music does exist but not the recordings of performances by my favourite artists.

It's OK for you because you only listen to recent recordings but I value artistic over sound quality.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 8/3/2018 at 10:59 AM, STC said:

as you can see here the so-called reverberation that can be constructed in the brain as you suggested requires external aid from many directions with aid of many speakers. 

I don't consider speakers. It's only tool to form wave rays. Number of speakers depend on speaker kind and room configuration and materials.

Anechoic room, like in the video by @semente makes task significantly easier. Main problem here, that each speaker radiate infinite number of rays in all directions. We can't capture and reproduce each ray. We can capture and radiate group of rays.

It is like monitor resolution.  If the sperical microphone will have infinite number of sub-microphones and speaker sphere will have infinite number of sub-speakers, we solve the sound hologram task almost ideal way.

Almost because radiated rays will re-bounced from speakers and listener. So speakers and listener should be unechoic. The spere in this case will closed/solid.

To solve the sound hologram creation task, we should not pay attention to channel number. I think, the task will solved other way on other physical bases.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, STC said:

I have no idea what you referring to.  Have you listened to Amused to Death?  Looks like we are on a different wavelenght because most of what you have written is contrary to what I have read and implemented. Do you have a proper citation of the points you are trying to make here?  

The rays is one of bases to traditional wave theory of physics. It is universal for different wave kinds: electromagnetic, acoustical. I think, that wave theory get new development further, after new discoveries.

For sound capturing and reproduction we can consider acoustical oscillation spreading as the traditional rays.

Wave length define wave phase spread along the rays. Lesser frequency = longer length of oscillation period along ray.

Unfortunatelly I can't recommend good (easy for understanding) sources by wave theory, because I learn it so long time ago. Keywords "wave theory physics", may be "wave spreading".

Now I'm don't know how to implement acoustic hologram accuratelly. Even with professional manufacturing equipment.

It is subject of serious invention.

Closest task here is optical hologram. I'd recommend to learn it too.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

On 7/23/2018 at 5:03 AM, STC said:

We have seen many videos of audiophiles listening room. But the real sound recorded at you listening position in concert hall will sound like the video below. Ideally, our listening room too should sound like that when recorded at our sweet spot. Can this be done?

The only way you will experience the sensation of actually being in a concert hall will be to recreate the effects of a concert hall in your room.  

Its not about surround sound.  Its about having speakers behind you that will play the same music heard up front with its high frequencies abated, and having the sound reaching your ears at adjustable set delayed time from what you hear in front of you.  

Suddenly .. when done well... you will feel engulfed in what feels like one feels in a concert hall, or in a good sounding club room.  Two speakers in front can not produce that sensation.  At best, two speakers can only tell you that you are missing out on the concert hall effect.

Audio Pulse review.....   http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/audio_12-1976_time-delay.html

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

39 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

The only way you will experience the sensation of actually being in a concert hall will be to recreate the effects of a concert hall in your room.  

Recreate music & hall acoustics with good recording & good audio system  B|

40 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

Audio Pulse review.....

Sorry, hall sound already in good recordings, silly to push artificial effects over true sounds recording.

Only problem is sound of listening room. Care & treatments can minimize room effects. Then audiophile ear edit out room to focus attention on recorded sound.

46 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Recreate music & hall acoustics with good recording & good audio system  B|

Sorry, hall sound already in good recordings, silly to push artificial effects over true sounds recording.

Only problem is sound of listening room. Care & treatments can minimize room effects. Then audiophile ear edit out room to focus attention on recorded sound.

I used sell high end audio.....   You have no idea what it feels, and sounds like, standing in a room and thinking you are at a live concert at the Fillmore East.  I am not going to argue with you about this. 

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise.