IGNORED

Multichannel Dac with Streamer and Roon?

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

Ravenna (AES67) doesn't seem to be getting the adoption of the others ... why?

Probably because it is relatively complex to implement, and because of NIH syndrome.

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

That shouldn't be too hard to extend.

Of course then its not standard ...

If enough vendors demand it, it will be added to the standard.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Anything new for MCH dacs?  Still looking for an 8 ch dac that will work with Roon!  Oh and it's objectively superior and doesn't cost $13k and isn't something mentioned in this thread already.  Okto could be an option but not sure if it's Roon Ready.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Anything new for MCH dacs?  Still looking for an 8 ch dac that will work with Roon!  Oh and it's objectively superior and doesn't cost $13k and isn't something mentioned in this thread already.  Okto could be an option but not sure if it's Roon Ready.  

Anubis?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Just now, Kal Rubinson said:

Actually 6, if you know how.

So what's missing from the current options?

Able to take a streamer and will stream MCH which even the Okto hasn't been tested yet for that.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I am not aware of anything new. My plan is to hook 3 DACs up. I tried briefly using J Music player on Mac and linked 3 DACs, and despite each DAC being so different they sync ok.  Surely an external clock to clock them all may improve things. 

Unfortunately J Media player on Mac sounds terrible esp on DSD. Perhaps when I have the chance to load an Audio Linux on my PC and run J Media Player the sound would improve. But it appears tricky to use J Media player to link 3 DACs, but apparently can be done, at least per Pink Faun. Pinkfaun also makes a 3 I2S audio bridge output but it can only do PCM.

Also now I am mainly using either MiniDSP products - it has the budget 8 channel DAC (PCM only) and I have also tried with good result using this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

This clocks 3 DACs together quite well, but again only PCM 

If one buys 3 budget DACs ($1000 or less) it would be cheaper than exasound

Would it be better ?? Depends I guess.

I am wanting to run R2R DACs only for PCM sound so this leaves me no choice but to use 3 R2R DACs which should sound great. 

Lynx Aurora 8 + CBL-DIGY85 outputs 8ch (4 x 2ch) AES/EBU digital signal (PCM 192kHz 24bit and DSD DoP 2.8MHz).

and Aurora 8 + CBL-AOUT85 has 8ch XLR balanced analog output. (PCM only, up to 192kHz 24bit)

DIGY85b.thumb.jpg.318badffb52f45ab97b251530b4d3c96.jpg

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

2 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Lynx Aurora 8 + CBL-DIGY85 outputs 8ch (4 x 2ch) AES/EBU digital signal up to PCM 192kHz 24bit.

and Aurora 8 + CBL-AOUT85 outputs 8ch XLR balanced analog output.

DIGY85b.thumb.jpg.318badffb52f45ab97b251530b4d3c96.jpg

I'd love to buy an Aurora (n) but they won't work with a streamer it seems.  I have a Lynx Hilo and Allo USBridge and they won't work so it's a no go as the Aurora uses the same XMOS card according to Lynx.  

1 minute ago, jtwrace said:

I'd love to buy an Aurora (n) but they won't work with a streamer it seems.  I have a Lynx Hilo and Allo USBridge and they won't work so it's a no go as the Aurora uses the same XMOS card according to Lynx.  

Oh, sorry to hear that! Surely Aurora and Hilo uses the same XMOS chip, because it is the same identical module (LT-USB) provides USB I/O function.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

23 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Oh, sorry to hear that! Surely Aurora and Hilo uses the same XMOS chip, because it is the same identical module (LT-USB) provides USB I/O function.

Yes, that's correct, that's why I tried the Hilo first.  ;)