IGNORED

Multichannel Dac with Streamer and Roon?

Has anyone used a 8 channel dac with a streamer and Roon?  I know the Lynx Hilo will do it but I'd like to use something else.  If the dac doesn't have a remote control volume then it must be fully compatible with Roon so the Roon volume control works.  Anyone have success?  I tried the Motu 8A and it doesn't work and Roon said this

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

What about NADAC Player mch?  I use the NADAC mch for my mch files but have a separate computer with Roon and HQP and don't do streaming, so I didn't upgrgrade to the NADAC Player which has Roon built in.  Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

HI Karl,

Since you may be the only one online who has experienced with Multiple DACs for multi-channel playback, I would ask again (I think I did) regards the Brooklyn DAC way of doing M-ch. They now have a software for MAC only. Do you think that software can be used on other DACs other than Brooklyn Mytec DACs?, and I presume via USB, you think the clocking of the software is good enough ? Must need reclocking to the 3 DACs ?

Adrian 

4 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

HI Karl,

Since you may be the only one online who has experienced with Multiple DACs for multi-channel playback, I would ask again (I think I did) regards the Brooklyn DAC way of doing M-ch. They now have a software for MAC only. Do you think that software can be used on other DACs other than Brooklyn Mytec DACs?, and I presume via USB, you think the clocking of the software is good enough ? Must need reclocking to the 3 DACs ? 

Speaking for Karl........................................

There is no software involved as it is the MacOS that permits aggregating the three (or four) stereo DACs into a single virtual multichannel DAC.  See:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-84-multichannel-mqa 

I suspect that any three DACs with the ability to synch their clocks together will work with MAC.  The reason is that there is no discrete clock over USB, so the synching of the channels must be done at the DAC-level. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I see, so there needs to be a clock either at the DAC level or the DDC that goes to each DAC then. I am not sure if the DACs I have or will get can be clocked together. I may need to try to clock at the DDC level (digital to digital converter.) You did mention about one DAC being the master clock. Can one of the DACs be the masterclock and helps to sync the other 2 DACs together ?  I think  PS audio is doing something like this.  

5 hours ago, jtwrace said:

Has anyone used a 8 channel dac with a streamer and Roon?  I know the Lynx Hilo will do it but I'd like to use something else.  If the dac doesn't have a remote control volume then it must be fully compatible with Roon so the Roon volume control works.  Anyone have success?  I tried the Motu 8A and it doesn't work and Roon said this

Theta Casablanca ?

(12 channels). 

8 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

IS this the USB hub I can use?

To do what ?

You like to split a USB output into several USB dac’s ?

Will an Oppo with HMDI maybe serve you ?

Or grouping endpoints be a way to achieve what you’re after ?

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I am not sure if the DACs I have or will get can be clocked together. I may need to try to clock at the DDC level (digital to digital converter.) You did mention about one DAC being the master clock. Can one of the DACs be the masterclock and helps to sync the other 2 DACs together ?  I think  PS audio is doing something like this.  

Do they have clock in/outs or not?  If not, no way.  If yes, one can be the master and synch the others by daisy-chaining them.

BTW, that hub will probably do.

image.gif

Kal Rubinson

32 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Do they have clock in/outs or not?  If not, no way.  If yes, one can be the master and synch the others by daisy-chaining them.

A multichannel USB to S/PDIF converter could be an option. If such a thing exists.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

A multichannel USB to S/PDIF converter could be an option. If such a thing exists.

A Motu 8D gives you 8 usb channels to 2 x AES-EBU (stereo) digital out and 2 x S/PDIF (stereo) digital out via onboard mixing and routing.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8D--motu-8d-usb-avb-interface-with-aes3-and-s-pdif.

2 units can be combined with AVB ethernet for more channels.  I am using one as a digital 'preamp' and crossover for mains/sub.

8 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:
5 hours ago, Alvantri said:

A Motu 8D gives you 8 usb channels to 2 x AES-EBU (stereo) digital out and 2 x S/PDIF (stereo) digital out via onboard mixing and routing.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8D--motu-8d-usb-avb-interface-with-aes3-and-s-pdif.

2 units can be combined with AVB ethernet for more channels.  I am using one as a digital 'preamp' and crossover for mains/sub.

Those are both rather expensive, perhaps because they do a lot more than is required for simple playback.

4 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

a cheaper simple option is this - USB to SPDIF 8 channel converter:

Minidsp

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

That's more like it. It also has inputs, which I've actually been casually looking for. I wonder if the ASRC on the inputs can be disabled (if only one is used).

8 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Minidsp  https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8  but it does not do DSD, DXD. 

Hopefully it can clock adequately when 3 DACs are used.

It does.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

That's more like it. It also has inputs, which I've actually been casually looking for. I wonder if the ASRC on the inputs can be disabled (if only one is used).

There is no option to defeat the input ASRC but  you can define the sample rate as needed.

Kal Rubinson