57 minutes ago, duxservit said:

There was a thread a while back mentioning a vendor selling a power cable for USD$28,000 per meter. 

Vendor? You mean crook. There are laws against bilking people and specific laws against cheating the mentally retarded, but $28,000/meter for a power cable stretches even the credibility of the mentally gullible. 

George

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

They even have some Gold automobiles in a certain "oil rich" Middle Eastern country  !:o

That makes a lot of sense. Gold is heavy and soft. All you need is a car so heavy it can't get out of its own way and will dent if you lean on it! Of course, in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger, the title character would take  a large quantity of gold at the UK fixed price of around £15 ($36)/oz cast it into body parts for his Rolls Royce, drive the Rolls to Switzerland where gold was about $42/oz and sell it making $6 profit on each oz. One could be even more ambitious in those days and take the gold to India where it was worth almost twice the UK price and really make a killing - until you got caught, that is. Customs officials in the countries involved took a dim view of gold smuggling! Still do.

George

8 hours ago, Albrecht said:

""I don't care how the guy spends his money""

Obviously not true: otherwise you wouldn't be here spitting vitriol. Of course high end audio manufacturers make so little profit, - that fact seems to escape you. Do you also spend a lot of time on other websites attacking REAL profiteers like Bayer, Raytheon, Exxon, Bechtel, General Dynamics, Goldman Sachs, or Gucci, Tiffany, etc?

Of course not.  And my only "vitriol" is aimed at the people selling $6K USB cables to people who think that buying such a cable might make USB, the poorest of all audio interfaces, actually sound halfway decent. So you are DEFENDING the seller of such garbage? Shame on you!  

George

8 hours ago, Albrecht said:

A lot of unreasonable audiophile website trolls are ignorant, - not testing and making absurd claims about something that they know nothing about; with made-up physics.

Maybe if more people actually TESTED things in audio, we would all achieve better sound reproduction, - instead of just cowardly repeating things that other trolls have said and they have no knowledge of either.

In some areas of commercial enterprises, cables, are one area where the anti-audiophile makes all sorts of baseless claims about cost to manufacturer, properties of the cables, cost to build, and how much profit the designer makes. So we have endless and clueless statements about the efficacy of cables that the anti-audiophile is completely clueless about.

But that is par for the course with internet bullies.....

We're talking about WIRE here. How much can a wire do? Believe me, the best a wire can do is to be a perfect conductor and to do that, it would have to be cryogenically held at somewhere near 0° Celsius. Otherwise it's limitations are proscribed by the material from which it's made. The best conductor is silver, but silver is not that much better than copper to make it worth the effort - or the money!:

http://www.tibtech.com/conductivity.php

IOW, I can see no way that anyone can justify $6000 for a USB cable.

George

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

George, no wonder you can no longer hear differences in usb cables. $2 ones come with a disclaimer, I saw it written on some for sale at  radio Shack, "not for use in high end audio, unable to propagate audible differences". :D?

+1

I no longer hear any differences in USB cables because I no longer use them in my audio system. And now we have some clue as to why Radio Shack is out of business! :)

George

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Yeh, my little cat's claws lords it over my big German Shepherd. Then again, my little pug lords it over my big German Shepherd.My big German Shepherd lords it over everything outside our home. In this way, lording it over all things great and small, I have come to succumb to the logic that my wife is the scariest creature of all!

So, you're saying there's a pecking order in your household? I'll bet that whatever it is that you're at the bottom of it. Most husbands seem to be these days! :)

"She is woman, hear her roar!" Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan!

George

17 hours ago, fas42 said:

As usual, everyone's missing the point - a $2 cable may fix an issue, a $6,000 one may not; or vice versa ... what matters is whether the underlying flaw is being addressed to a decent level, accidentally or otherwise.

If a Ferrari has an unbalanced wheel, what matters? The specialness of the metal slugs used to correct the imbalance; or the expertise of the chap who adds them in the precisely correct manner, and makes sure the wheel now is fully in order?

Never mind. 

George

On 6/14/2018 at 12:27 PM, Albrecht said:

""IOW, I can see no way that anyone can justify $6000 for a USB cable."

Of course not, - and that is indeed your problem.

I'd say it was your problem and it's called extreme gullibility. If I ever start selling cheap Chinese cables for outrageous prices, I want you address, my friend. :)

George

On 6/14/2018 at 3:41 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

@Jud mentioned previously that even reversing the direction of a cable could affect such things as ground loops. Sure, I presume that the structural properties of the cable did not change, as George will no doubt point out. Nonetheless, there is a functional consequence in the way the cable interacts in the system.

Jud is quit correct if the cable is quasi-balanced. Lots of boutique cables are. They generally can be identified by the facts that they have arrows printed on the jacket. Their orientation can, indeed affect ground loops. 

Quasi-balanced RCA Interconnect.jpg

George

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What I find hilarious is that I have "given away every secret" over my time on the forums, and each time I mention something major I always get no useful reaction - it's not exactly encouraging talking to a crowd where everyone is busily playing with their phones while you say something 'significant'.

Frank, I don't "play with my phone", but I still managed to miss any post where you have said something significant. Can you you recap for us? Thanks. 

George

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Still waiting for something concrete, a recipe, an expert system rule, a test I can repeat, a thing I can try to improve. You are not offering any specifics. 

You can wait until hell freezes over, or the Hawaii "slump" crashes into the sea causing one of the largest tsunamis is all of history before Frank says anything of any substance 

George

23 hours ago, fas42 said:

George, you have been better than most I have to say :) ... at some stage I noted an almost complete list of what I did to get my first competent rig to perform - I have done this on a number of occasions now, on different  forums - "there was a recipe", which happened to work for that particular combo ... on the current gear I have, quite useless.

That post is buried somewhere, if you insist I'll attempt to track it down with the, ahem, search engine of this forum.

No need, Frank. What you call a "complete list of what you do" is no more than anybody else does, and it's all a common sense approach to hooking up a system (except for the hard-soldering of all interconnects together and thus eliminating connectors - which of course is ridiculous, because the RCA connector makes a connection, if done right, the resistance of which can't even be measured with a 5 digit DVM! So it is totally irrelevant and unnecessary).  

George