IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

22 minutes ago, esldude said:

Speaking of home theater immersion.  I'd turned everything off due to lightning Sunday afternoon.  Later watching Westworld I just flicked on the center speaker.  Really thought "you know maybe one channel is enough."  I didn't feel too much was missing.  Then I started it over, and turned on the other 4 channels and sub.  Now you feel "in the picture".  

In most surround mixes of film/TV audio, the centre channel carries dialogue and little else. Front left/right have mainly music and sound effects along with some dialogue (mostly by off-screen characters). Surround channels are used for ambience and occasional positioning of effects. The three front channels provide probably 80-90% of the experience.

16 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

humans are distance runners.  This was evolutionarily necessitated by the need to tire out our food so we could more easily kill it.  If you were unable to kill your food, you died.  There is no physical fitness part of our IQ tests.

That's because physical fitness is by definition not intelligence.

16 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

maybe we are becoming a more weighty society because we no longer need that specific ability to acquire food.  Things to think about.

I get food by running after the pizza guy and snatching the box. Doesn't everybody?

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

there are clearly overall aspects of general mental ability - that is what IQ tests seek to measure

There are, but quantifying them in a single number is difficult, if at all possible or meaningful. As a crude analogy, consider computer benchmarks. They, too, attempt to assign a single number to the performance of a system. In reality, which system wins is highly dependent on the specific workload. Humans are no different.

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, all an IQ test claims to do is to measure a person's ability to solve problems, and put a number to it. It's not supposed to measure knowledge or so-called "common sense". Smart people grasp concepts and abstractions faster than the average Joe, and that's all that an IQ test is designed to measure. 

All true, but an IQ test doesn't account for the effects of long-term experience. Reaching one's limit in a particular area of problem solving can take years.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Smartness is a result of evolutionary pressures,

Yes, because we pretty much suck physically, we had to invent various tools and otherwise outsmart other animals.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

IMO.  ie: our ancestors had to adapt and problem solve to survive and meet new challenges as they moved out of Africa.  I have seen some argue that an ice age and the pressures to survive in the new climate, as well as the different cold climates further north from Africa as early humans spread out, is the cause of our intelligence and evolution into what we are now.

You seem to be suggesting that Africans are not as smart as others. That's wrong and offensive.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

If you are in an area there the probability to be attacked by any predator without anything to defend yourself with, you are not very smart.

Right, so if you can't outrun the predator, you invent the spear and bring one with you.

44 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

so why did Europeons succeed in trashing all other cultures for a couple of centuries?

Perhaps because they just happened to develop ships, guns, and a desire to explore/conquer the world before anyone else did. The development of ships might have been encouraged simply by the geography of Europe.