SOtM iSO-CAT6 LAN Signal Noise Filter

Anyone take the plunge on this device yet?

I'm wondering what they've put inside. if it's made on discrete way with pulse transformers than these is the real thing

Or get an Emo EN-70HD.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I'm really wondering about the 2 fibre box setup that a few of you guys have tried, but what I'm wondering even more so is why isn't anyone going with a direct, PCIe Fibre Network Interface Card in each PC? That, to me, sounds like the simplest and most high-resolution there could be.

And then if you're concerned about power quality, you can always buy a rider card and splice in the required 3.3V like lots of modders have done for their aftermarket PCIe USB cards.

I only had a quick look, but prices didn't seem too, too different.

Thoughts?

I imagine a lot of people are using compact computers, eg Mac mini, laptops, and streamer devices, that may not have a PCIe slot....

I, like many other here, use one form or another of a CAPS server. It's true that if someone had the smallest version it'd be too small for an additional PCIe card, but not everyone has such a small case AND the newest builds use a bigger case.

Duly noted though, internal space and the the shift to renderers may be a bit of why there hasn't been any talk of native PCIe fibre NICs.

I, like many other here, use one form or another of a CAPS server. It's true that if someone had the smallest version it'd be too small for an additional PCIe card, but not everyone has such a small case AND the newest builds use a bigger case.

Duly noted though, internal space and the the shift to renderers may be a bit of why there hasn't been any talk of native PCIe fibre NICs.

Few people need 10gbe / SFP+ which still is an expense so the FMC is a very cost effective option for Gbe.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Having a Fiber SFP at the DAC side would be the ultimate solution in terms of noise rejection but I'm not sure we will ever see such a beast any time soon.

I've read some scribbling's in the past about Opto interfaces on the DAC Input having bandwidth constraints but one would think such an issue could be sidestepped with a combination of Opto Input straight to a buffering device which the DAC chip then reads from instead of attempting to read the stream in realtime. I would like think that doing this would block noise and eliminate almost all jitter. Then again, the buffer may need to use a separate clock source which adds components to the chain. Meahh..there’s always a catch 22 somewhere I suppose :)

hi cjf,

FMCs are dead efficient. That's clear.

But only if you place them just b4 a streamer.

Buying FMCs to use them differently , for instance b4 a computer that will feed a usb dac is useless.

If you have a source based on usb, short term solution is Regen or Corning.

Long term solution will be a streamer based upon a rj45 input.

IMHO ;-)

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Have had more time with the FMCs. They definitely upped the direct ethernet input into the DAC, so much that now I could easily live with using only UPnP, and that's with a BJC ethernet cable, not a pricey one (which I haven't tested yet). Still am not sure if it betters my digital coax, but is slightly different and on par.

This is a FANTASTIC tweak! Very recommended. Starting to get curious about seeing if the powerbank solution that was recommended will be superior to the Sony PSU that I bought for the receiving FMC. Has anyone played with that yet? Or with the "audiophile" ethernet cables, for that matter?

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Haninger,

if you have FMCs from TP-LINK, look at their data sheet : http://www.tp-link.fr/resources/document/MC110CS_V3_Datasheet.pdf

It is clear : it works with 9V or 5V. As the power consumption will remain as it is, the amp is higher at 5V than 9V.

Thus a power bank that deliver 5V2A is OK. Some power bank have one output that deliver only 5V1A, this one should be avoided.

Rgds

Thanks! Really appreciate the information. I have a pair of TP-LINK MC110CS. Since it appears that I could use the 5V/2.1A or 9V/1.5A iPower, is there any advantage of either option?

I don't think the iPower is available yet in the U.S. I contacted Avatar Acoustics to be placed on a waiting list per iFi Audio's suggestion.

Hi Haninger,

5V or 9V ?... well, I powered with the SMPS 9V, it worked. I'm now using a power bank that deliver 5V, it works, it works better on the 5v from the power bank because it is not a SMPS of course. I could not test 5V/9V in good conditions.

The key point is how clean are the 5v or 9v, not the voltage as itself. I think.

I didn't know that brand new iPower, thanks for the info. Interesting on paper with nice specs. It should be compared in 5v to a 5v power bank, on FMC.

I saw a rough price of 50USD ? Nice price if it is as "silent" & efficient as a power bank.

Rgds

tgb,

according to the french forums how does the Sony PSU compare to the Powerbank?

I actually have a good LPS which I use to power my Squeezebox (5V/3A) that I could probably use on my second FMC and see how that goes. Will report once I get a chance to test it.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

tgb,

according to the french forums how does the Sony PSU compare to the Powerbank?

I actually have a good LPS which I use to power my Squeezebox (5V/3A) that I could probably use on my second FMC and see how that goes. Will report once I get a chance to test it.

Which Sony PSU?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Which Sony PSU?

this one

hi Reverendo,

the Sony PSU you mention seems to be a SMPS. Thus not suitable for the downstream FMC ; in fact it might be as noisy as the one provided with the FMC.

Rgds

hi Reverendo,

the Sony PSU you mention seems to be a SMPS. Thus not suitable for the downstream FMC ; in fact it might be as noisy as the one provided with the FMC.

Rgds

I think EuroDriver told me that it was way better the the noisy stock PSU. The stock PSU actually has a very high pitched tone when you connect it. I'll try to find the time to see what happens if I use my Welborne LPS.

hi,

I'm wondering if someone who has a setup based on FMC+streamer, heard a similar setup based on Regen+DAC ?

I'm totally happy with my FMC+streamer setup. But all the people that tested the Regen are saying on the Regen threads that USB link is wonderful Now thanks to the famous Regen.

USB showed in the last month to be worse than all streamer+FMC setups, or with high tweaky setup with LPSU etc ; but the Regen seems to give to USB a chance to perform very nicely. Does it already outperform FMC tweak in the same range of setup ? ;-)

Rgds

hi,

I'm wondering if someone who has a setup based on FMC+streamer, heard a similar setup based on Regen+DAC ?

I'm totally happy with my FMC+streamer setup. But all the people that tested the Regen are saying on the Regen threads that USB link is wonderful Now thanks to the famous Regen.

USB showed in the last month to be worse than all streamer+FMC setups, or with high tweaky setup with LPSU etc ; but the Regen seems to give to USB a chance to perform very nicely. Does it already outperform FMC tweak in the same range of setup ? ;-)

Rgds

I have both, and the FMC and REGEN are additive, and addictive!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

SOtM iSO-CAT6 LAN Signal Noise Filter

Anyone take the plunge on this device yet?

I received this device and have had it playing for the past 3 hours or so. I will remove it to confirm what I am hearing but for now I am thrilled. I tried another ethernet isolator (see my findings early in this thread) but hated it. I have made a lot of changes since that review so I can't compare directly. However, the SOtM device is doing everything I hoped for: glorious dynamics (jump factor is great), improved staging and air, no problems with any diminution of any frequencies. Highly recommended. By the way I am using the infamous AQ Diamond ethernet cables so it isn't fixing a problem with cheap cables.

I have a Regen on order and if the sound improves markedly beyond this I will be shocked. My goal is to get beyond my analog front-end (lp) sound quality with Redbook files, and I am feeling much closer.

I have both, and the FMC and REGEN are additive, and addictive!

The FMC is a terrific and very reasonable idea. I've been looking into this recently and its very interesting to see that fiberoptic transceivers consume drastically less power than Ethernet -- particularly at 10gbe and as cable length goes up. Fiberoptic transceivers are independent of cable length.

The 1gbe SFP transceivers are dirt cheap now on eBay (and already burned in :) :) ). LC-LC OM3 cables are themselves dirt cheap. I picked up a couple of SFP <-> RJ45 FMCs for $27 each.

I don't know if anyone has used this: Amazon.com: Diablo Cable 8 Port SFP Optical Switch with Multimode SFP: Computers & Accessories but it takes a 5V/2A supply so ideal for LPS. The packet switching noise generated by the SFP optical connections should be much less than for copper Ethernet because the transceivers are so much lower power.

If you are able to use Mellanox cards (not for OS X I think), then there are some terrific deals: Mellanox Connectx 2 Single Port SFP 10GbE P N Network Card MNPA19 XTR | eBay

I use Intel X520-DA2 cards myself (~$150 on eBay)

The point being that cost of entry into fiberoptic networking is much much less than it used to be and the power savings can be substantial. For a variety of reasons this means less noise.

Given the low cost, low power and wide availability of fiberoptic networking, there is no justification for expensive copper Ethernet cables. None.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.