IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

It seems Audiostream is trying to come up with more and more imaginative ways to troll those who they apparently perceive as a threat.  While it appears that you and Herb might share some affinity for "feeling" rather than "knowing", this looks to me like you're trolling this forum on ML's behalf.

LOL, - I'd love to see your definition of "knowing." Talk about trolling,...  

anti-audiophiles who come on an Audiophile website and try to "sell" their speculative belief system in order to denigrate and change the minds of audiophiles....

Question, (and believe me, I have major criticisms of Audiostream), how can someone troll their own site?

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

This little broadside just popped up on Audiostream:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audio-without-numbers

I'd love to see intelligent critical responses  rather than angry venting or ridicule.

48_1172_365.1_ph_web.thumb.jpg.24cac8e9550661b476049527893b3706.jpg

"" Self-proclaimed audio objectivists, like those that troll audio forums, are not scientists, or audio professionals; they have not directly experienced the giant Sound Lab speakers or the acoustic-wind of a 15A/13A Western Electric horn system. They are pathologically self-centered people who watch the hurricane on TV and then later, tell the hurricane survivor that lost their cat, "That wasn't a hurricane—it was only a tropical storm."  """

This is sooooooo true! WOW...

34 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

There's copious back and forth in the forum about "feeling" vs. "knowing" (notice the scare quotes).  I encourage you to seek that out if you're genuinely curious.

ML isn't trolling Audiostream, he's trolling all those mean objectivists that gave him sads.

"There's copious back and forth in the forum about "feeling" vs. "knowing" (notice the scare quotes)"

It looks like I mis-interpreted your meaning there: sorry about that.

""ML isn't trolling Audiostream, he's trolling all those mean objectivists that gave him sads.""

Got it, - I don't disagree that ML gets "triggered" pretty quickly and easily, and has a tendency to be a bit preachy.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

That is all he has left as he has banned anyone who does not already agree with them.  It is probably not an accident that Herb has published this piece at audio stream instead of stereophile because JA to his credit would allow an opposing viewpoint.

I haven't seen any evidence that ML has banned people that for an opposing viewpoint. I have seen evidence that he's banned people for being rude & disrespectful.

5 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

ML is pompous. Gotta be one of the worst audio snobs going imo. Hate to say such things but he makes no apologies.

I don't disagree. But because he is pompous does not mean that he bans people for having an opposing viewpoint.

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from? Many if not most of the regulars around here on the objectivist side have been banned by ML for respectfully disagreeing with him...

""Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from?"

I don't think that you read what I wrote. I said that i haven't seen any evidence that people have been banned for disagreeing. It doesn't mean that people haven't been banned. It doesn't mean that people could've have even been banned for disagreeing, - I JUST HAVEN'T SEEN ANY....

If you'd care to produce some, - it might be a learning moment for me. (There are Audiostream articles & comments on them that I have not seen; i promise).

58 minutes ago, crenca said:

Radical subjectivism did not start with MQA, as it has essentially been the culture since "High Fidelity" died around 1980 or so.  Buuuttttt, I think 3 things have converged in the last 5 years or so that has caused a bit of a churn.  First, consumer oriented forums such as this one has allowed non-radical subjectivist information - an opposing view.  Second, the younger value oriented "personal audio" guy/gal has become a real demographic and $market$ force.  Third, MQA pushed radical subjectivism to the breaking point, and put the spotlight on confidence game underneath the "old guard" like perhaps nothing before...

"Radical Subjectivism" that is a pretty good Trump-like troll.

How about good science?

There is NO SUCH THING AS OBJECTIVISM

"oriented "personal audio" guy/gal has become a real demographic and $market$ force"

LOL, there are no audio manufacturers in either the lo-fi consumer end, nor in the high-end that are making any money out of audio, and there's certainly no "market"

1 minute ago, firedog said:

That’s clearly an untrue statement. Please show us proof NO audio maker is profitable. Many say they are, and are expanding production. Some of them even post at this forum. 

Go to CES, or take a look at the vendor list.

Oppo is shutting down. Look at all of the consumer manufacturers shifting their business to other areas, and the high end manufacturers quitting....

It is a market that is dead or dying. Yes, - I should've said SIGNIFICANT: but was responding to the cray.

5 minutes ago, marce said:

I have seen many banned not for being rude but for not following his idea of reality, if you disagree you get banned simple.

" if you disagree you get banned simple."

I have not seen any evidence of that. So, - until some evidence is produced, - there is really nothing more to say about it. But I understand that those who "don't like" ML will choose to continue nonetheless, - and believe something that is unsubstantiated. I have asked for some sort of evidence, and no one has yet to produce it.

What people have told me to do was for me to do the work and go find the evidence on my own: asking me to prove a negative.

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

Whatever your smoking has you playing the philosopher O.o

Why don't you say a bit more about the above two statements.  How are they linked?  Bonus question:  tell us specifically in what way is Herb Reichert is a Kantian?

""Whatever your smoking has you playing the philosopher""

You waste valuable time and energy with the above sentence, trying to diminish arguments with personal statements/attacks that aren't about me: stop the cult of personality crap.

Reichert wrote out the definition of the scientific method & referred it back to the types of knowledge, (defined by Kant), & how many of these unreasonable positions held by objectivists are bad science. It has NOTHING to do with whether or not Reichert is a Kantian; that's a mis-interpretation.

17 hours ago, crenca said:

I appreciate this post, I really do.  That said, you are essentially describing a caricature of what we audio "objectivists" are speaking from just as Herb is.  Audio objectivists (as a general rule - might be exceptions) are in no way German Idealists who approach science, measurement, and audio in an "a priori"  metaphysical Kantian way.  If either camp borrows from Kant, it would be the subjectivists and their understanding of the experience and knowledge, though they appear not be rigorous enough for anything like Kant - they are more like free form Cartesians with a large heaping dose of Hippie thrown in :)

It's not that radical subjectivists are "lying", they just are missing balance, perspective, and humility in how they evaluate their experiences.  Their explanations of why something is so are often nonsensical, and they seem unwilling to entertain anything but their own perceptions - they lack balance.   Their descriptions of "science" are strange and emphasize the wrong things and frankly, are merely meant to justify their own understanding of the value of their "experience".  

In any case, I appreciate your effort to put some meat on the bones of your assertions...

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Kant identifies two types of Apriori, - math is one and Metaphysics is the other.

Cheers,

16 hours ago, firedog said:

He quoted a dictionary definition of science and then went on to show he has zero understanding of what science actually is and how it works. His point about “observations” was laughably wrong and showed that he doesn’t know what the word even means in a scientific context and how it is applied. 

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. So you are not taking "observations" in the sense of literal (use of eyesight) observations are you? What is meant is corroborated and repeated experiences of the senses. There are smell tests, hearing tests, etc.

" showed that he doesn’t know what the word even means in a scientific context and how it is applied. "

I didn't get that impression at all. I will go back an reread.

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

In reality this world runs on both objective and subjective belief and information.  It's just that in the audio hobby people are often making decisions to purchase very expensive items which are functionally similar to inexpensive items based on subjective claims often verging on BS.  Many objective tests appear to clobber audiophile beliefs such as the well known folding chair setup where a cheap pro audio amp and consumer blue ray player on a fooding chair appeared to be equal to a $12,000 stack of audiophile gear.  Perhaps all good amplifiers sound the same and when something sounds different it is due to euphonic colorations it is adding.  There is only so much information in a minute of Red Book.  Am I to believe there is some secret sonic bliss encoded within which can only be retrieved with a $20,000 DAC?  Nobody has ever offered me a reasonable explanation about how anyone can hear frequencies of 24 kHz and up, yet this is one of the foundations of MQA.  I do know one thing.  If I don't fall for the expensive BS I can objectively spend my money on something else.

""often verging on BS."

How do you know? Have you properly evaluated any of those claims? Or tested them yourself? Have you been present at the events that have resulted in the claims?

""Am I to believe there is some secret sonic bliss encoded within which can only be retrieved with a $20,000 DAC?"

Who has said that there was? Is the DAC the only thing at play?

""Nobody has ever offered me a reasonable explanation about how anyone can hear frequencies of 24 kHz and up,""

How is that relevant? Is that the only criteria that you think builders/designers would want to have in a product? Do you think that that is the reason that a product is more expensive than a consumer product? Is it possible that because the product has the tech and parts to go that high,- that it might have a (positive) affect on other parts of the spectrum?

""I do know one thing.  If I don't fall for the expensive BS I can objectively spend my money on something else."

Yes, - you may not find value in higher performing audio, or even in listening, - but I'm sure what you find of value is not applicable to (at least here) most others. But then, this isn't a (primarily) a place for consumer audio.

37 minutes ago, crenca said:

Just to address your first paragraph, Kant is a German idealist/metaphysician - that's his place in Western intellectual history ( as is its Cartesian roots).   Those categories to which you and Herb refer go back to Aristotle, and indeed everything since then is just a footnote to Aristotle's initial work (including Kants).  Since neither I nor any methodological materialist (i.e. scientist) would agree with Kantian metaphysics, his particular take on the categories is beside the point.

As to the rest of your post I admit I am not following exactly what you're trying to argue except you seem to think of science and the audio objectivist in the same fashion as Herb does which is itself a straw man.

No,

""Since neither I nor any methodological materialist (i.e. scientist) would agree with Kantian metaphysics, his particular take on the categories is beside the point."

No, - it's precisely the point. What was under discussion was empirical knowledge, and is empirical knowledge, in fact knowledge. Who Kant was, was and is irrelevant. Kant's classification and definitions of the types of knowledge was and is widely accepted. Aristotle did NOT lay out and define knowledge into the 4 types like Kant did. The discussion has ZERO to do with Kantian metaphysics.

A key component in any scientific is empirical knowledge, - us scientists call these things experiments. (Although irrelevant, I do question whether one could attach the label of German idealist/metaphysician: and that's certainly NOT his "place" in the history of Philosophy. Indeed, in the Critique of Pure Reason, the main tenant is his assertion that we need to move beyond traditional philosophy and metaphysics).

It's like saying Marx was a communist so his critiques of Capitalism are invalid.

"argue except you seem to think of science and the audio objectivist in the same fashion as Herb does which is itself a straw man."

How can that be possible when I am claiming that the "audio objectivist" is engaging in poor science?

39 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

@Albrecht  You sure are full of radish juice and horse sweat.  It is incumbent on those who make subjective claims to provide evidence.  I am not required to meet your standard of proof when I am skeptical of claims which make no sense at all.  I have been messing with audio for 50 years and have heard numerous in home and in store sessions.  Many confuse improvements with simple differences.

As for consumer audio, a $60 Blue Ray player can do a damn good job spinning CD's.  That was established in the folding chair blind test.  

As for value, I find the amounts some audiophiles are willing to pay for small improvements (differences?) is completely outside of what I understand of economics as the dismal science applies to consumer behavior.  Perhaps you should look up the term "Veblen Goods".

"" You sure are full of radish juice and horse sweat "

What an amazing, reasonable, argument addressing my points, and countering them. I bet that took you a long long long time...

""I am not required to meet your standard of proof when I am skeptical of claims which make no sense at all. ""

I don't have a standard of proof and am not making any claims, and don't expect you to follow my standards. Who's claims are you referring to? I would never expect us to have the same opinion on anything....

"As for consumer audio, a $60 Blue Ray player can do a damn good job spinning CD's.  That was established in the folding chair blind test."

If only high performance audio relied on a motor spinning CDs.  I am not sure I wanted to know what the folding chair blind test is...

"As for value, I find the amounts some audiophiles are willing to pay for small improvements (differences?) is completely outside of what I understand of economics as the dismal science applies to consumer behavior.  Perhaps you should look up the term "Veblen Goods".""

As i said, - the vast majority of people who care about improving the listening experience don't GAF about what you think is of value and/or what they value or buy or is given to them or what they hear when they visit friends.....