IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well, having made literally hundreds of recordings of symphony orchestras, and many more recordings of smaller ensembles, I can tell you with some authority that you are wrong. In a real stereo recording, those cues are recorded and any stereo playback system can "reconstruct" them in your listening room. There are caveats here, though. Room acoustics can mess up those imaging cues (although the room would have to be pretty bad to do that) and, of course, small, more "point source" speakers tend to image more precisely than do many large speakers, but even big speakers can image well too - it depends on how they were designed. 

@gmgraves

Unless I missed it, did you make any samples available for download.  Easiest thing in the world is supply us with recordings with these cues and let us hear them.  If you are at liberty to share those with us. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

49 minutes ago, STC said:

Both make great recordings but using different technique. Blue Coast recording is mixed while Chesky binaural is filter applied for loudspeakers playback.

I loved Chesky recordings.  I loath that they went binaural only.  Binaural doesn't work for me over headphones.  And I find their current recordings much less good over speakers.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

Binaural doesn't work for me over headphones. 

Since you mentioned this a couple of months ago I have been trying to find another person who is having a similar problem. There are significant percentage of the population cannot perceive 3D image from movies . It is possible some may have similar problem with binaural recordings that is yet to be discussed or researched..

Anyway, here is a quote from Wiki

"The point raised by DR Mason in this interview is that even if a successful reproduction of audio in a more realistic 3D space is achieved, the effect could be damaged by the end users choice of headphones. Cheaper headphones, and indeed more expensive headphones with EQ colouration, will have an influence on how the audio is heard by the end user. Having headphones that add colouration to the audio heard will undoubtedly make disruptive changes. This can disrupt any chances of experiencing an improved spatial soundtrack."

maybe, you also want to try with different headphones.

1 hour ago, STC said:

Since you mentioned this a couple of months ago I have been trying to find another person who is having a similar problem. There are significant percentage of the population cannot perceive 3D image from movies . It is possible some may have similar problem with binaural recordings that is yet to be discussed or researched..

Anyway, here is a quote from Wiki

"The point raised by DR Mason in this interview is that even if a successful reproduction of audio in a more realistic 3D space is achieved, the effect could be damaged by the end users choice of headphones. Cheaper headphones, and indeed more expensive headphones with EQ colouration, will have an influence on how the audio is heard by the end user. Having headphones that add colouration to the audio heard will undoubtedly make disruptive changes. This can disrupt any chances of experiencing an improved spatial soundtrack."

maybe, you also want to try with different headphones.

Thanks for looking into this.  I've tried several different headphones over the years. My current preference Sony mdr 7510 or is it 7610 phones come closest to working.

I've tried or owned stax lambdas, koss esp 9, akg 240, Beyer dt 880, some discontinued creative iems, couple different grados and couple Sennheisers. So maybe I've an unusual htrf.

At best the binaural works ok for things directly to the sides and not much else.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I've tried several different headphones over the years. My current preference Sony mdr 7510 or is it 7610 phones come closest to working.

Interesting that you feel the Sony came closest. Just checked the in ear responses and looks like you prefer headphones that significantly slice a couple 10 dbs after 2kHz. I used AKG 600 something ( cant remember the model) and currently a cheap Superlux model which sounded similar to the AKG. I only use them to evaluate sound and do not really listened to them for leisure.

Anyway,

Sony MDR-7510

01.FRP_SONY_MDR-7510.png

Grado,

01.FRP_GRADO_SR325i.png

Sennheiser

01.FRP_Sennheiser_MOMENTUM_On-Ear.png

And my preference - AKG

01.FRP_AKG_K612_PRO.png

Maybe that's something worth looking at.  I never liked Sony and Sennheiser's headphones I tried. Although, one of the Sony noise cancelling earphones sounded very good  and I liked it very much. We obviously have difference preference.

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Offhand, I don't see how. Perhaps if you were to explain your theory a bit more completely, I could see where you're coming from. 

I was thinking that by bringing an instrument down in level, reduce its dynamic range, roll-off the top a little and then add a bit of reverb it might sound as it were playing in the back of a large room.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, STC said:

Interesting that you feel the Sony came closest. Just checked the in ear responses and looks like you prefer headphones that significantly slice a couple 10 dbs after 2kHz. I used AKG 600 something ( cant remember the model) and currently a cheap Superlux model which sounded similar to the AKG. I only use them to evaluate sound and do not really listened to them for leisure.

Anyway,

Sony MDR-7510

01.FRP_SONY_MDR-7510.png

Grado,

01.FRP_GRADO_SR325i.png

Sennheiser

01.FRP_Sennheiser_MOMENTUM_On-Ear.png

And my preference - AKG

01.FRP_AKG_K612_PRO.png

Maybe that's something worth looking at.  I never liked Sony and Sennheiser's headphones I tried. Although, one of the Sony noise cancelling earphones sounded very good  and I liked it very much. We obviously have difference preference.

Yes FR of phones seems a puzzle vs how they sound to me. I don't find that to be the case in speakers.

Don't hear why anyone likes the Sennheisers. Grados seem detailed fast and a bit harsh to me.  AKG would be my second choice of those I've used.

The ESL phones were very different. The Koss was smooth, warm and sweet. Stax like the Grado without the harshness.  

I really don't like to use headphones anyway.  Only when necessary or when checking recordings I've made.

8 hours ago, mansr said:

Correct, and that is exactly why a recording can't convey the necessary height cues. On playback, the HRTF responds to the location of the speakers, not the location of the instruments during recording.

Mans you appear to place a great deal of importance on HRTF subserving spatial location, Okay. Your supposition is that without HRTF in the recording, spatial cues for height cannot be conveyed. It cannot possibly be in the recording because HRTF is listener specific, literally only realized in the ear of each beholder, hence it is not in the recording, not conveyed and there is no spatial cues conveyed.. This is logic akin to The ground is wet when it rains, the ground isnt wet, therefore it hasn't rained.No HRTF coming out of the speakers therefore no height cues.

This is rather bizarre IMO. To reduce this to the extreme it would be like saying, height perception is realized only in the brain, the recording cannot record the brain functions or neurological cues, so therefore there can be no height perception conveyed.

As others have put to you but you don't respond, the physical cues necessary to excite spatial location are in the recording be they phase,volume ,frequency or whatever.It is these cues reproduced by the speakers that the end listener responds to. It is these cues that the end listener wraps around his head and 'samples' and modulating with HRTF, in more or less similar way that they would have wrapped around the head at the live event, just obviously not 100% concordant with that event.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Mans you appear to place a great deal of importance on HRTF subserving spatial location, Okay. Your supposition is that without HRTF in the recording, spatial cues for height cannot be conveyed. It cannot possibly be in the recording because HRTF is listener specific, literally only realized in the ear of each beholder, hence it is not in the recording, not conveyed and there is no spatial cues conveyed.. This is logic akin to The ground is wet when it rains, the ground isnt wet, therefore it hasn't rained.No HRTF coming out of the speakers therefore no height cues.

This is rather bizarre IMO. To reduce this to the extreme it would be like saying, height perception is realized only in the brain, the recording cannot record the brain functions or neurological cues, so therefore there can be no height perception conveyed.

As others have put to you but you don't respond, the physical cues necessary to excite spatial location are in the recording be they phase,volume ,frequency or whatever.It is these cues reproduced by the speakers that the end listener responds to. It is these cues that the end listener wraps around his head and 'samples' and modulating with HRTF, in more or less similar way that they would have wrapped around the head at the live event, just obviously not 100% concordant with that event.

I think you are being obtuse here. When it comes to height, starting with how human beings perceive height, explain how that information is encoded in a stereo recording. 

Find a reference to the ability to locate sounds accurately using this method. 

The point is that we can only locate the height of sound sources using info not in a two channel stereo recording. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

1 hour ago, adamdea said:

The point is that we can only locate the height of sound sources using info not in a two channel stereo recording. 

That is a theory yes, the height of sound sources cannot be conveyed using info in a two channel stereo recording because there is no HRTF cues. So, there is also a theory that unless you can record neurological impulses arriving at the brain then we cant convey height perception. I submit that both theories are equally silly for the same reasons, they are just nonsense defying common sense and evidence.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

50 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

That is a theory yes, the height of sound sources cannot be conveyed using info in a two channel stereo recording because there is no HRTF cues. So, there is also a theory that unless you can record neurological impulses arriving at the brain then we cant convey height perception. I submit that both theories are equally silly for the same reasons, they are just nonsense defying common sense and evidence.

I agree that height cannot be accurately captured in stereo...I am however curious how our two ears are able to capture height in the live?

It can't be about frequency because you can have a high frequency at your feet and a low frequency above your head...

nvm- i just googled hrtf

52 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

What HRTF cues are actually related to localization of sound above your head?  

Even a man with with one ear could localize sound from above.  The detection is by pinna and frequencies above 4000hz give cues for sound associated from above. 

Could microphone capture that? Can binaural microphone record that? Can loudspeakers without the aid of another pair on top of the loudspeakers reproduce that?

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

If a sound arrives at a listener from up high, it is modified by the HRTF in one way before entering the ears. If the same sound is recorded and played back by speakers at ear level, it will be modified by the HRTF in a different way. Hence, the perceived height will not be the same.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

If a sound arrives at a listener from up high, it is modified by the HRTF in one way before entering the ears. If the same sound is recorded and played back by speakers at ear level, it will be modified by the HRTF in a different way. Hence, the perceived height will not be the same.

That's why i said it was not 100% concordant and imperfect, even ambiguous if you like. However your "perceived height will not be the same" is not the same as your original position there cannot be height perception cues at all.Clearly HRTF cues cannot be in the recording but that doesn't mean there are no other precursor cues that can be reproduced and subject to the end listeners modulation by HRTF. This is what you seem to consistently dodge. It has also been pointed out that people do not need pinnae to perceive height ie it is not pre-requiste to height perception in all circumstances.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Esldude provided it earlier in this thread in response to my observation.

I am not sure where to find. Could you summarize them if you remember.

I am confused where is thread heading to. Is it whether height can be captured by microphones? Or is it the captured height could be heard with loudspeakers?

5 minutes ago, STC said:

I am not sure where to find. Could you summarize them if you remember.

5 minutes ago, STC said:

I am confused where is thread heading to. Is it whether height can be captured by microphones? Or is it the captured height could be heard with loudspeakers?

Mans asserted it was impossible to capture height cues in a recording based on conditional logic. He has since modified this to "perceived height will not be the same" .

Sound Minds Mind Sound

23 hours ago, fas42 said:

You can't ?? ... if the instruments are recorded separately, as in my post of the jazz trio - and different levels, settings of reverb are added to the individual tracks, then the result is a layering of the depth positions - I hear this behaviour in nearly all pop recordings; it's clearly defined to my ears.

No. You can't. And even if you could, who would want to do do so? To what end?

If the cues are extemely obvious then, yes, the lowest order playback will make the presentation very clear. But if the cues are more subtle, then only better playback will reveal that detail - the cues in the recordings are not on/off switches for our hearing, either present or completely absent - again, everything in audio is a continuum; there are always shades of grey.

If the recording is real stereo then the cues are extremely obvious. If the recording is some mishmash of multi-miking techniques, then, who cares? I don't record that way, so I certainly don't care. 

No, on a good system you will hear the performers overlaid upon each other, in the correct lateral position - with each 'operating' in the space as recorded - there will be a combined sound, and also the sound of each instrument echoing in the space as set up. In the hearing, you will be listening to the mix, and then soloing a particular player - exactly as if you had the controls of the desk under your hands.

I have a good system and I hear only overproduced, artificial sound, and I don't like it.

The imaging is a function of everything you can hear; the amount of "on-stage" presentation will be a function of where and how it was recorded.

I will agree that on-stage imaging only exists to the extent that the engineers and producers making the recording want it to exist. In pop recording, that's not at all, in most classical recording, it's not a big deal. There are purist recorders to whom it matters, and occasionally, just occasionally, one gets a recording that has been carefully crafted to give you-are-there imaging, but not often. It makes me wonder why the world went to the trouble to develop stereophonic sound in the first place. Very few people ever record it or listen to it, and fewer still, appreciate it. The vast majority of recordings that come out every year, are two or three channel mono. What was wrong with real mono? Neither one gets the listener any closer to the performance than the other.  Were I in a cynical mood, I might say that stereo was invented merely to sell the average audiophile two of everything, and while that might be part of the story, a lot of dedicated music lovers and engineers at both Bell Labs and the BBC in England, in the 1930s, believed that stereophonic sound could bring something of the concert hall to the listener's living room and that doesn't seem cynical to me at all. 

Look I'm tired of arguing this minutia back and forth and trying to explain to people who have never recorded in their lives what is and what is not possible to do with stereo. I don't even understand why people are arguing with me. Everything I have said is well known to anyone who has ever made a real stereo recording using tried-and-true stereophonic miking techniques and those who don't know about it can read-up on it. Studio pop recordings are different. I don't do those (but I have worked in studios that made them) and I don't care about the artificial processes and the work-arounds that studios use to avoid making honest, real, stereo recordings. 

George