IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

51 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Recording the output from my DAC/speakers to try to understand how two identical files sound different on playback would be far more interesting.

45 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Wouldn't capturing the output with an ADC make more sense?

My idea is to capture anything that can be captured, be it digital, analogue or acoustic. What is feasible obviously depends on the system.

2 hours ago, manisandher said:

@mansr, we have two choices for setups:

1. use my regular Phasure USB DAC

- the best sound quality

- will need to interpolate to 705.6/768 in XXHighEnd/HQPlayer

- will not allow us to capture the digital output of the audio PC (unless you have an ADC that accepts a 24/768 USB input), which might restrict analysis of exactly what is going on

- we will have to accept that in copying a file from my NAS to a local folder on the audio PC, the file really is the same (I totally accept that this is the case - it's during replay that 'weird' things seem to happen)

listening setup:

5a7ec9878d939_listeningsetup1.thumb.jpg.25879efacb0714d2799ed04c6cf25d0c.jpg

recording setup:

5a7ec995eecb2_recordingsetup1.thumb.jpg.3c20a1a8ed7602b5f34390678acec73d.jpg

2. use an spdif DAC that I have here

- not as good as Phasure but good enough for the job (I've already tried)

- will need to interpolate to 176.4/192 in XXHighEnd/HQPlayer

- will allow us to capture the digital output of the audio PC (using the Tascam DA-3000 I have here, or any other ADC with an spdif input you care to bring)

listening setup:

5a7ec995450b6_listeningsetup2.thumb.jpg.cd61e7e3d422cd8799ff5e35881d1ac9.jpg

recording setup:

5a7ec9969f859_recordingsetup2.thumb.jpg.16015629a0a398f18ad96a7c3c597560.jpg

I want to capture the digital output of at least one supposedly different-sounding pair. Is there any reason for not running the DAC outputs into the ADC and amps at the same time?

In either case, as I suggested earlier,  I'm happy to do a paired comparison between the two files. Mans, you could control the playback software out of sight from me, with 3 choices (I had suggested 4 earlier, but this would be easier for me):

1. A,B=same (either NAS or local)

2. A=NAS, B=local

3. A=local, B=NAS

I don't mind how many pairs we go through (within reason). If I get >70% correct, I think it's reasonable to assume that I really am hearing a difference. (Of course, if this is the case, I hope Mans hears things the way I do too.) We can then go on to recording outputs and trying to figure out what's going on.

Why not a standard A/B/X protocol?

22 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Yep, lots of reasons:

- we'd have to use a splitter

- or a preamp, which I'd really rather not do)

- the ICs to the mono amps are quite long and if we're using the spdif DAC (which looks like the one we're going to go for), I wouldn't trust it to have a beefy enough output stage to carry it off.

How about using the ADC in monitor mode between the DAC and amps? That way we'd be certain that we're hearing exactly what the ADC is picking up.

22 minutes ago, manisandher said:

- the audio PC and DAC sit in my basement, only the monos and speakers in my listening room - would make listening and recording simultaneously pretty much impossible

There are ways.

35 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Talk me through the procedure.

1. Play sample A.
  2. Play sample B.
  3. Play A or B randomly, you decide which it is.
3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Ok, just want to make sure that the same player software is used, with the same settings, when doing A/B comparisons -- there's a lot a player can do to the bits before these are sent out to the DAC, even if the source files are exactly the same.

The digital output will be captured and compared.

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

"Temporal microstructure" ... means nothing, but could mean something 

That's what makes it so insidious.

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I wonder if it could be analogized (not to just resolution or pixel count) but to micro-contrast in optics...

Drawing analogies between audio and imaging is fraught with peril as there is no acoustic equivalent to the optical lens.

10 minutes ago, esldude said:

Yes, exactly. 

You can take a still photo and look at it in optics even though your eye never really sees it quite this way.  There is no equivalent still unchanging way to record audio and hear it in one instant.  You can look at a photo, take your time shift your attention.  Audio is not amenable to doing that with your ear.  

It's worse than that. Due to the optical focusing system, an image has distortions with no equivalent whatsoever in a sound recording. That said, there are valid comparisons to be made. For example, aliasing from undersampling might be seen as a moiré pattern in an image a brick wall.

38 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Mans has stated that he's keen to capture the digital output of the audio PC, so we'll do that. We can also capture the analogue output from the DAC, if that might be useful.

I'm going to look into the possibility of capturing the output of the audio PC in real time. I'm going to try a BNC splitter at the audio PC and feed one spdif cable to the DAC, another to the ADC, and then set the ADC to auto record. My main concern is that this doesn't affect the signal reaching the amps. If I'm happy it doesn't, we'll do things this way.

The first step is to verify that the digital signal into the DAC is unchanged. If a difference can be heard, this should be detectable in the analogue output of the DAC.

But I definitely don't want to capture the analogue output of the DAC in real-time. For this, we'll simply replay the files exactly as we did when listening to them.

I think it's worth checking if the DAC can drive both the ADC and the amps at the same time. The input impedance of both should be fairly high. If that doesn't work, we could try connecting the DAC to the ADC input and its monitor output to the amp. If the alleged difference can be heard in this configuration, it really ought to have been captured by the ADC.

We can also think about capturing the sound from the speakers in real time with a microphone->ADC.

Do you have some decent microphones?

All this assumes that either Mans hears a difference, or if not, that I can prove I hear a difference through an A/B/X. If neither of these is the case, taking a digital, analogue or microphone capture is moot.

If I hear a difference, I'll definitely want to record it. If you can't prove you hear it, will you concede that there is in fact no difference to be heard?

13 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Thanks for the explanation. Of course, high precision timers are available and should be used (for example, the HP counter on my audio PC, built about 4 years ago, has the frequency of 14.3 MHz).

You don't need high precision timers to play back audio. In fact, you don't need timers at all.

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

And that's why Mans is such a good test subject for this: he'll be curious enough to dig in deeply to find the reason for audible differences (if any), and he'll collect enough data and evidence so that others could help him, right, Mans? ;)

I'll try. Well, if I hear the difference, that is. If I don't, I still hope to get some recordings of what Mani assures us sounds different.

1 minute ago, Spacehound said:

As he had a go a Peter too I think he's  a touch scratchy this morning.

Peter loves telling everybody they are wrong, but he never offers anything but vagaries himself. Today he went a step further, insinuating that I wouldn't ever be able to understand how "it" works. I found that a tad insulting.

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

That is out of context. What about reading the whole post, including lead in and lead out. Get the gist of Mani already having a mistake in the base and you and him clearly won't be able to cope because of not knowing sufficiently about the internals of the software which I wrote and of which I claim that neither of you won't be able to judge what is happening for real because I already wouldn't know answers.

You're basically saying that if you don't know something, then nobody can. How is that not elitist?

21 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Yes "it". You put the quotes there. What are you talking about there ?

There is nothing such as "it" nor did I imply any it or whatever you call vague because you don't believe in any of this in the first place.

"This" what ? right, all of "it".

Are we getting somewhere now ?

If I explicitly tell (you) that no ADC is going to show any of this because two subsequent captures of analogue will be different no matter how hard you try to have them the same, you plainly don't believe me. Do I have that right ?

It is there where you start to call me vague. Where I am keen on telling everybody that they are wrong has to be between your ears.

Has anyone ever asked you to calm down?