IGNORED

Matching Solid State Amp w/ Tube Preamp

I think that it ends up being trial and error however I have always found it to be a good combination. I am careful to turn on the preamp first and then wait a minute before turning on the amp and also turn the preamp off last. Some tube preamps can put out some nasty stuff while warming up. I know this for a fact as I once fried the woofers in my speakers by forgetting. Newer and better preamps often have a relay on a timer for their outputs to avoid this

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I think that it ends up being trial and error however I have always found it to be a good combination. I am careful to turn on the preamp first and then wait a minute before turning on the amp and also turn the preamp off last. Some tube preamps can put out some nasty stuff while warming up. I know this for a fact as I once fried the woofers in my speakers by forgetting. Newer and better preamps often have a relay on a timer for their outputs to avoid this

It is generally recommended that you turn on an amp last for the reason you state but, for that same reason, it is also recommended that you turn it off first, i.e. before turning off the preamp. IOW, the turn off sequence should be the reverse of the turn on sequence.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

It is generally recommended that you turn on an amp last for the reason you state but, for that same reason, it is also recommended that you turn it off first, i.e. before turning off the preamp. IOW, the turn off sequence should be the reverse of the turn on sequence.

Yes. I said " and also turn the preamp off last."

The reverse would be to turn off the amp first and the preamp last. Sorry if that was not clear enough.

System

3 minutes ago, mourip said:

The reverse would be to turn off the amp first and the preamp last. Sorry if that did not come across.

No. if you turn on the amp last in the turn on sequence, the reverse of that would be to turn it off first in the turn off sequence.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

What part do tube buffers play in this?

Tube buffers can help with impedance matching without giving too much gain.

Some also like the tube "flavor" that is imparted. The flavor part is a matter of personal preference.

System

11 minutes ago, Allan F said:

No. if you turn on the amp last in the turn on sequence, the reverse of that would be to turn it off first in the turn off sequence.

That is what I said...

Here is a quote from a good company that manufactures David Berning circuits. This would apply to tube preamps without muting circuits.

"...you must turn on the MicroZOTL2 before you turn on your power amp, and turn your power amp off before you turn off the MicroZOTL2. The MicroZOTL2 should therefore be the first thing on and the last thing off."

System

12 minutes ago, mourip said:

That is what I said...

Sorry, my bad. That is what you said. I misread your post and reacted too quickly.

8 minutes ago, mourip said:

That is what I said...

Here is a quote from a good company that manufactures David Berning circuits. This would apply to tube preamps without muting circuits.

"...you must turn on the MicroZOTL2 before you turn on your power amp, and turn your power amp off before you turn off the MicroZOTL2. The MicroZOTL2 should therefore be the first thing on and the last thing off."

Have not tried the Micro line of products.  But the original Berning preamp was really something.  More than 200 khz bandwith flat.  Used FETs with Tubes. 

I seem to recall the amps were something like modern switching amps.  Can't remember if the preamp worked the same way or not (I don't think it did).  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Great thread, I'm quite liking it my self though... I always thought it was common knowledge to turn your pre on first and off last? I just remember my step father always doing that back in the day with his old stero 

No idea what components he used but it was always the first on is the last off, and everything went on or off in that order... 

5 hours ago, esldude said:

Have not tried the Micro line of products.  But the original Berning preamp was really something.  More than 200 khz bandwith flat.  Used FETs with Tubes. 

I seem to recall the amps were something like modern switching amps.  Can't remember if the preamp worked the same way or not (I don't think it did).  

The Micro ZOTL MZ2s preamp is an absolute steal. Numerous reviews have shown it besting high end preamps running 10-20 times it's cost. I own one, as do a number of other extremely happy CA members. Might be the single greatest value in high end audio performance.

They also come with a free home audition period. 

JC

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

The Micro ZOTL MZ2s preamp is an absolute steal. Numerous reviews have shown it besting high end preamps running 10-20 times it's cost. I own one, as do a number of other extremely happy CA members. Might be the single greatest value in high end audio performance.

JC

+1. I have been using the Linear Tube Audio MZ2+ with upgraded LPS for a while. It is a great value and for me a winner on an absolute level. Adding NOS tubes brings it up even farther.

I am now using LTA's new "Ultralinear" amp. 20 watts from 17JN6 Compactron output tubes. It is basically David Berning's ZH-230 with output tubes that have a different heater voltage and costs way less. This bests my previous Pass Labs SIT2 by quite a bit.

Sorry to digress...

System

13 hours ago, TubeLover said:

JC

Is the Micro ZOTL MZ2 used as an actual preamp for a full system, speakers, etc?  Or is it just a headphone amp?

Also, is the $700 LPS required to use it?  

Thanks.

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Is the Micro ZOTL MZ2 used as an actual preamp for a full system, speakers, etc?  Or is it just a headphone amp?

Also, is the $700 LPS required to use it?  

Thanks.

It can be used as a line preamp for a full system. Reviews say it is great in that role. On the web site, it can be ordered with a less expensive PS that doesn't add big bucks to the price. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

It can be used as a line preamp for a full system. Reviews say it is great in that role. On the web site, it can be ordered with a less expensive PS that doesn't add big bucks to the price. 

A friend, and fellow CA member, insists its only for headphone use.  That the speakers used in the Stereophile review are ZuAudio Soul Supremes that are so efficient that they use headphone like power.

Will the MZ2 work with regular towers, or only with those of the ZuAudio's ilk?

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

A friend, and fellow CA member, insists its only for headphone use.  That the speakers used in the Stereophile review are ZuAudio Soul Supremes that are so efficient that they use headphone like power.

Will the MZ2 work with regular towers, or only with those of the ZuAudio's ilk?

Thanks.

I use it as a preamp in my 2-channel stereo hooked into 2 solid state mono block amps.  It has a low output impedance so it should match well driving most solid state amps.  Now if you want to use it as an integrated preamp/amp, it does have speaker terminals on the back but they would have to very efficient speakers since it only puts out 1 watt into a 4-ohm load.

It is a pretty tremendous preamp and I'm guessing headphone amp.  Very neutral and resolving.  

30 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

I use it as a preamp in my 2-channel stereo hooked into 2 solid state mono block amps.  It has a low output impedance so it should match well driving most solid state amps.  Now if you want to use it as an integrated preamp/amp, it does have speaker terminals on the back but they would have to very efficient speakers since it only puts out 1 watt into a 4-ohm load.

It is a pretty tremendous preamp and I'm guessing headphone amp.  Very neutral and resolving.  

Thanks.  What speakers are you using?

Also, does the MZ2 impart a nice tube type sound?

Forget anything related to it being a headphone amp (it can do that and well) but it's primary purpose is as an ultra high end preamp at a give away price. It's stunningly good, in my system and many others. Read these reviews by noted reviewers:

https://hometheaterreview.com/linear-tube-audio-microzotl20-preamplifierheadphone-amplifier-reviewed/

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/02/26/review-linear-tube-audio-microzotl2-0/

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/david-berning-microzotl20-personal-amplifier/

JC