IGNORED

Matching Solid State Amp w/ Tube Preamp

14 hours ago, TubeLover said:

With good NOS tubes it's brilliant!

JC

With the MZ2, do I understand correctly that it needs an external DC power supply to operate?  And that one must buy that power supply in addition to the $1235 base price?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, DancingSea said:

With the MZ2, do I understand correctly that it needs an external DC power supply to operate?  And that one must buy that power supply in addition to the $1235 base price?

Thanks.

The answer is that it has an external power supply. All you have to do to answer cost questions is to go to the web page and check the boxes. The page will tell you the cost of the resulting options.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 2/4/2018 at 6:12 PM, DancingSea said:

Thanks.  What speakers are you using?

Also, does the MZ2 impart a nice tube type sound?

Currently using Odyssey Audio Lorelei speakers but looking at a few different speakers for an upgrade.  Spatial Audio X2's may be in my future.

Regarding the sound from the MZ2, it is detailed and resolving while throwing a wide sound stage and instruments have nice separation. It isn't necessarily tubey but does provide the warm sparkle associated with tubes.  I like it a lot.

• 11 months later...

Hi...i think you don't want the preamp bottlenecking the amp so make sure output topology matches and bandwidth is close. If you are using monoblocks the pre should be true balanced topology, the signal is not summed or combined in any manner. If your amp goes out to 150 KHz the pre should go out to at least that much.