IGNORED

Operating systems and their sound signatures

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I know it is Linux, I just meant that (at least for me) it is difficult to use/tweak it as I would use/tweak a full-blown Linux OS.

That's the beauty of Linux systems, that there's no limit how and what you can do with those. That is still more traditional in some ways than my NAA images...

Yeah, my day job is to work on embedded Linux things, so I have a sort of warm place in my heart for those. Be it Linux phones we did at Nokia (last one was Nokia N9) or something else like IoT device.

P.S. The wiki page talks about it being a MeeGo phone, wich is not technically true (only marketing perspective). It was rather a tweaked Maemo phone, continuation of earlier N900 and others. It is still one of the things I'm proud of, this vid illustrates it quite ok: 

But the most funny thing is video comparing our old N9 to the new iPhone X:

P.P.S. Yeah, I don't work for Nokia anymore, since they switched to Windows Phone and then went all scrapped.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, WuNgUn said:

I'm not trying to troll you, nor am I going on a goose chase searching for such "claims" on an open forum...

If you don't want to make your point here and now, that's fine too

If you bothered to search the forum you will find numerous posts by me about the positive results of 6 separate DBT sessions performed by E.E. and well respected technical writer Martin Colloms of Hi Fi Critic Forum ,on comparison .wav files that I sent him. The results were also published in Hi Fi Critic vol.6 No.1.

Famous Recording and Mastering Engineer Barry Diament has also confirmed my reports by way of a comparison CD that I sent him.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Merely peaky current draw. An SSD is the worst at that.

That can be catered for as I have done, by regulating the internal +12V down to +5V, followed by a "shunt"  regulator which in my case has a simulated capacitance of around 2 FARADS. It also has 2 separate , isolated outputs for powering the OS and a Music SSD.

Dual +5V PSU for 2 SSDs.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Audio Networking p.23. 

This was only a very brief resume of the several HFC Forum threads, which included in-depth results about the various listening sessions, and appeared to have been rushed to meet a publishing deadline, as I come from Au. not N.Z.

Due to Copyright restrictions I am unable to post copies of this 4 page article in open forum ,which included mainly Naim UnitiServe Revisited, and CAT Network Cable,

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Audio Networking p.23. 

This was only a very brief resume of the several HFC Forum threads, which included in-depth results about the various listening sessions, and appeared to have been rushed to meet a publishing deadline, as I come from Au. not N.Z.

Due to Copyright restrictions I am unable to post copies of this 4 page article in open forum ,which included mainly Naim UnitiServe Revisited, and CAT Network Cable,

Article in question is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol6_no1/audio_networking.htm

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

interesting listening impressions but not clear if there was any test or not, it seems not from the sketchy description

You are fully aware that there were indeed several in-depth DBT sessions from the limited number of direct copies of several HFC thread reports and personal emails that I was stupid enough to PM to you !

C.A. member Eloise has also previously confirmed this in C.A. after registering as an HFC member to directly ask Martin Colloms how the sessions were performed.

Do I need to provide copies of my PMs to you on October 28th to show just how far you are prepared to go to distort the truth ?

No, I would not do that, but Admin is certainly able to verify this.

You need to quit lying about this.  I have the pm's saved and they say no such thing.  I have refrained from posting them as a courtesy to you after you asked me not to.

Time after time, people have corrected your claims (Plisskin most recently) and you always launch personal attacks against them.  I do not appreciate your personal attacks against me.

It's time for you to stop acting like Drumpfk.

From a verifiable (by Admin) and stored PM sent to Ralf 11 on 31st October

Alex Kethel ripping, HIFICRITIC results second session

Private Investigations ripping from a ROM drive with various power supplies........

we are now on our sixth listener test for the Kethel LOG files

A very experienced and fearless pair of ears who can be subjected to such tests and not worry in the slightest.

Blind A/B/A .......

I will not be pursuing this further in this thread.

I can't believe the extent that some members will go to, in a deliberate attempt to discredit another member. 

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

From a verifiable (by Admin) and stored PM sent to Ralf 11 on 31st October

I will not be pursuing this further in this thread.

I can't believe the extent that some members will go to, in a deliberate attempt to discredit another member. 

Don't worry. It wasn't really that far out of my way.

18 minutes ago, plissken said:

Don't worry. It wasn't really that far out of my way.

You flatter yourself.

You haven't made a dent on  anyone's credibility, let alone mine,  except by shifty means where you let a member believe he was still listening to a cable. You couldn't even be upfront about the fact that the file was already saved to System Memory !

BYE !

8 hours ago, sandyk said:
16 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Merely peaky current draw. An SSD is the worst at that.

That can be catered for as I have done, by regulating the internal +12V down to +5V, followed by a "shunt"  regulator

Alex, yes, smart (if it is a real shunt regulator and not only one between quotes ^_^).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

45 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Alex, yes, smart (if it is a real shunt regulator and not only one between quotes ^_^).

Peter

This modified John Linsley Hood design (AKA "Ripple Eater") is a form of shunt regulator with a Capacitance Multiplier section, in  this case 2 x 4,700uF in parallel, multiplied by the HFE of typically > 200 of the device used, to give a simulated capacitance around 2 FARADS . It also has an active section that takes ripple etc. (to well past the 300KHZ of the original design )  and modulates a standby current of around 16mA when used at 12V, which is in opposition to the original change.

There is no voltage drop through it other than a few mV in the copper tracks as it is virtually in parallel.

The original design had a Current Limiter section at it's Input, but I found that using a voltage regulator before it, protected it at start up. (charging a 2 FARAD capacitance !)

I have been able to replace the current limiter sections on our PCB, which was  designed by DIY Audio member Greg Erskine, and fit  LM317Ts set by 2 resistor values to give +5V output, without any PCB changes.

It can power 2 separate SSDs with good isolation between them.It has also been used to very good effect by another local C.A. member.

I also have an internal  +12V and +5V version to power my internal LG BR writer, while isolating it's varying current draw from the rest of the P.C's PSU area, both while reading and writing..

Regards

Alex

P.S.

I can supply Greg's PCB artwork and full details if anybody wishes to make their own.

There have been over 800 PCBs supplied at cost to DIY Audio and some other forums' members, but none are currently available.

13 hours ago, sandyk said:

You flatter yourself.

You haven't made a dent on  anyone's credibility, let alone mine,  except by shifty means where you let a member believe he was still listening to a cable. You couldn't even be upfront about the fact that the file was already saved to System Memory !

1. He chose Tidal, not me.

2. Since I'm not a Tidal user I had zero knowledge before hand that they buffer the entire track (kudos to them).

3. You miss the entire point and at the same time make it for me: it's not the cable that music is being played off

of. It's buffer. Folks you just witnessed a breakthrough: 1 Alex understands the music is out of buffer and not

on the cable. Sadly the realization of what it actaully means is STILL somehow lost on him.

Another helpful tip from forum member to forum member: If you ever wanted to know the time to stop digging the hole you find yourself in. Well now would be the time.

A litle off the topic. I am using Windows 10 with AO on a single PC with satisfaction. However, I am just curious about all the hype regarding Windows Server 2012 or 2016 core mode plus AO. So I have some question before triggering:

With Windows Server in Core mod plus AO...

1/Is it still headless like with Windows 10? Do I need a monitor to get music played?

2/ Can the PC connect to LAN, and can it be accessed from another computer in the same LAN (so that I can copy music files to the music playing PC)?

3/ Can I still use Android  phones to remotely and headlessly control Foobar or Jriver?

Thanks and all the best for a new coming year.

9 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

A litle off the topic. I am using Windows 10 with AO on a single PC with satisfaction. However, I am just curious about all the hype regarding Windows Server 2012 or 2016 core mode plus AO. So I have some question before triggering:

1/Is it still headless like with Windows 10? Do I need a monitor to get music played?

2/ Can the PC connect to LAN, and can it be accessed from another computer in the same LAN (so that I can copy music files to the music playing PC)?

3/ Can I still use Android  phones to remotely and headlessly control Foobar or Jriver?

Yes to all of  your questions for win 2016 and it is the better of the three in sound for me. 

I made a triple boot setup to prove to myself it is. 

Win 2016 does not have a non gui core mode anymore it’s always in gui.  

Remote Desktop and controls are fine. 

May I ask have you gone into the bios to disable 

features to achieve better sound ? 

7 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

I can't answer your questions about Core mode, though I am curious too. :-)  I'll be doing some investigating to see how this works.  I'm currently "evaluating" 2016 in GUI mode.  I have one suggestion: Be cautious about using AO.  Initially I thought it was an improvement, but I gradually became aware that the soundstage was compressed and the sound was harsh and mechanical.  I reinstalled Server 2016 and the openness and musicality came back.   I've been switching back and forth between Win10 14393 and 2016 and the solidity of instruments and bottom end are noticeably improved in 2016.  Bass is much tighter and more articulate.  It's also a bit more "intense" and you may not like it, depending on the rest of your system.

You might want to start with GUI mode to see what you think. You can do a side-by-side install if you shrink your main partition with Disk Manager and create an unallocated partition.  That allows you to switch back and forth with a restart.

I have not heard Server 2012, so I can't comment on the difference between that and 2016.

Hope this helps.

10 minutes ago, ALRAINBOW said:

Yes to all of  your questions for win 2016 and it is the better of the three in sound for me. 

I made a triple boot setup to prove to myself it is. 

Win 2016 does not have a non gui core mode anymore it’s always in gui.  

Remote Desktop and controls are fine. 

May I ask have you gone into the bios to disable 

features to achieve better sound ? 

Thanks for this observation.  What have you disabled in the BIOS?  Also, there is a non-GUI install choice for 2016, I believe.  You just can't switch back and forth as you could with 2012.

It's probably going to be impossible to install any sort of playback software with 2016 core mode.  With 2012 you could configure everything, then *switch* to core mode with a command line and use a remote control for your playback.  Apparently 2016 doesn't offer that option.  You can google and see many, many complaints from IT people...

Don’t use that download data center with gui it’s a complete server.  

Weather you use it or not. 

Go inot the bios desable anything that is speed step 

turbo boost 

turn off all non used perifials 

default All auto to non auto but don’t make changes just not auto.  

Do not over clock 

now for the AO 2016 who does not feel it’s good 

a few options to try one is follow what I said above and all of this is in his website manual 

also. There are digital filters to set 

the first is numbers the next option is letters 

start as he says in the manual or as I use 1/A 

when you donas above the music is more relaxed ? harshness is gone. At the end a very analog sound is there.  

May I ask what drive is used and do you use an lps or not ?

1 minute ago, zackthedog said:

It's probably going to be impossible to install any sort of playback software with 2016 core mode.  With 2012 you could configure everything, then *switch* to core mode with a command line and use a remote control for your playback.  Apparently 2016 doesn't offer that option.  You can google and see many, many complaints from IT people...

Not true in fact it’s closer to win 10 in looks and options. Use service tools to enable gui mode it restores all functions and then you install like you would in 2012 

I use 

hq player 

j river 

foobar 

roon 

all work fine except for roon 

roon needs a full operating video driver 

the odds are your main drivers will not be enabled and set on min mode 

so unless you can find a driver you will get a open gl 3.0 error 

this can be fixed in two ways. 

One use roon server and use core on your server then use a control device like iPad or even a another pc desk top to control all functions. 

Two install a cheap gt420 nvidia card they have drivers for sever this allows for full gui 

also roon inot hq player is an amazing sound 

better than j river by a mile also hq player is much better than j river on its own as well. 

But roon has a better gui to use. 

4 hours ago, plissken said:

Another helpful tip from forum member to forum member: If you ever wanted to know the time to stop digging the hole you find yourself in. Well now would be the time.

When I need advice from a closed minded NOBODY, I will ask you first ! 

Guys I don’t know what this argument is about but consider this we are here to help and as you can see I do try hard and get slapped back at times for it. 

My advice is enougj has been said Let or go. 

No one here is correct 100% of time we learn as we post I know I do.  There are times what I post is correct but for tjhe wrong reasons 

let’s get through this.