IGNORED

How do Teddy Pardo PSUs compare to the UpTone Audio JS-2 and to Paul Hynes' SR5 and SR7 PSUs?

nbpf

I replaced my stock Squeezebox Touch PSU with a Teddy Pardo PSU.  I was surprised at how much improvement it provided.  I've never heard any of these other PSUs so I can't say if they'd sound any better than the Teddy, although I've long coveted a JS-2 because of the flexibility (dual-output, user selectable voltages, etc.) and it just seems like a really nice piece of hardware.  Can't comment on SQ though.

Creek Evolution 100A / Schiit Gungnir Multibit / Squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo PSU / Marantz SA8005 / B&W CM8

18 minutes ago, mwb said:

I replaced my stock Squeezebox Touch PSU with a Teddy Pardo PSU.  I was surprised at how much improvement it provided.  I've never heard any of these other PSUs so I can't say if they'd sound any better than the Teddy, although I've long coveted a JS-2 because of the flexibility (dual-output, user selectable voltages, etc.) and it just seems like a really nice piece of hardware.  Can't comment on SQ though.

Thanks mwb, same situation here. I have two Teddy Pardo PSUs in my system and I was considering replacing them with a single JS-2 because of flexibility. I could achieve similar results by ordering three more Teddy Pardo at about the same price. I am also interested in the technical differences between the PSUs. The Teddy Pardo devices are very light and absolutely quiet. The JS-2 seem to be heavy and to rely on a different technology. Before I commit, I would like to understand the pros and the contras of the two approaches. 

25 minutes ago, nbpf said:

The Teddy Pardo devices are very light and absolutely quiet.The JS-2 seem to be heavy and to rely on a different technology

The cases are very small, and if they are very light they may be using SMPS instead of a transformer type PSU ?

Do they use 3pin mains leads ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

The cases are very small, and if they are very light they may be using SMPS instead of a transformer type PSU ?

The Teddy Pardo case for a single output at just one voltage is comparable in height and depth with the JS-2. The width is about 170mm instead of about 210mm for the JS-2. Thus, the sizes of the two devices are comparable. The Teddy Pardo PSUs use 3pin leads. The technology is described in their web page, see https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/underthehood.html. According to measurements posted in this forum (which I cannot find at the moment) the Teddy Pardo PSU feed back to the mains slightly less noise than the JS-2 under load. The difference is rather negligible and the amount of noise fed back to the mains only one of the parameters that are relevant when considering the performance of linear PSUs. I understand that both are very good devices but would like to better understand the differences and, if any, their advantages and disadvantages. 

The JS2 uses a large choke (inductor) ahead of the voltage regulator, which would add extra weight to it.

This may account for it feeling quite light in comparison ?

JS2 Linear PSU.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2017 at 3:04 AM, nbpf said:

Your opinion, please! Thanks, nbpf

Have you switched to the JS-2 eventually? Your observations? 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

16 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Have you switched to the JS-2 eventually? Your observations? 

I have moved from powering the DigiOne Signature with the ifi iPower 5V/2.5A (dirty side) and with the UpTone Audio LPS-1.2 (clean side, the LPS-1.2 powered through its own wall wart) to powering the same DigiOne Signature with the JS-2 about one month ago.

During this month, the JS-2 has been powering both the dirty side of the Signature and the LPS-1.2 that powers the clean side of the Signature. The JS-2 and the LPS-1.2 are connected to the dirty and to the clean sides of the Signature with the UpTone Audio cables that came with the JS-2 and through the Allo barrel to USB C cable adapters.

The first impression when replacing the iPower with the JS-2 was that the overall presentation was more natural and smooth but also also a bit less engaging. Basses, resolution and perhaps timing were better with the JS-2, but the iPower had more drive and presence. 

In the beginning I also had problems with undervoltage exceptions of the RPi that hosts the Digione Signature. These exceptions also occurred with the iPower and eventually disappeared after I reassembled the Signature. But in the beginning I thought the JS-2 might be the culprit and thus started measuring the voltages of the JS-2, iPower, LPS-1.2, etc. As it turned out, the JS-2 delivers 11.80V and 4.92V when set at 12V and 5V respectively. The iPower delivers 5.12V. Thus, there is a difference of about 4% in the voltage provided by the two power supplies to the dirty side. Whether this can have an impact on the sound quality, I do not know.

Last week I received the GhentAudio cables (Canare 4S6) with USB C terminations that I had ordered to get rid of the Allo adapters and directly connect the JS-2 and the LPS-1.2 to the Signature. Replacing the original JS-2 cables and the Allo adapters with the GhentAudio cables had an impact on the sound quality: drive and presence are back, perhaps even more than with the iPower. Bass, resolution and timing are at least as good as with the UpTone Audio cables + Allo adapters.

Of course switching cables and power supplies implies rebooting the system and does not allow detailed side-by-side comparisons. Thus, please take my observations with a grain of salt. I freely find it very difficult to draw definite conclusions for this kind of comparisons.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:31 PM, nbpf said:

I have moved from powering the DigiOne Signature with the ifi iPower 5V/2.5A (dirty side) and with the UpTone Audio LPS-1.2 (clean side, the LPS-1.2 powered through its own wall wart) to powering the same DigiOne Signature with the JS-2 about one month ago.

During this month, the JS-2 has been powering both the dirty side of the Signature and the LPS-1.2 that powers the clean side of the Signature. The JS-2 and the LPS-1.2 are connected to the dirty and to the clean sides of the Signature with the UpTone Audio cables that came with the JS-2 and through the Allo barrel to USB C cable adapters.

The first impression when replacing the iPower with the JS-2 was that the overall presentation was more natural and smooth but also also a bit less engaging. Basses, resolution and perhaps timing were better with the JS-2, but the iPower had more drive and presence. 

In the beginning I also had problems with undervoltage exceptions of the RPi that hosts the Digione Signature. These exceptions also occurred with the iPower and eventually disappeared after I reassembled the Signature. But in the beginning I thought the JS-2 might be the culprit and thus started measuring the voltages of the JS-2, iPower, LPS-1.2, etc. As it turned out, the JS-2 delivers 11.80V and 4.92V when set at 12V and 5V respectively. The iPower delivers 5.12V. Thus, there is a difference of about 4% in the voltage provided by the two power supplies to the dirty side. Whether this can have an impact on the sound quality, I do not know.

Last week I received the GhentAudio cables (Canare 4S6) with USB C terminations that I had ordered to get rid of the Allo adapters and directly connect the JS-2 and the LPS-1.2 to the Signature. Replacing the original JS-2 cables and the Allo adapters with the GhentAudio cables had an impact on the sound quality: drive and presence are back, perhaps even more than with the iPower. Bass, resolution and timing are at least as good as with the UpTone Audio cables + Allo adapters.

Of course switching cables and power supplies implies rebooting the system and does not allow detailed side-by-side comparisons. Thus, please take my observations with a grain of salt. I freely find it very difficult to draw definite conclusions for this kind of comparisons.

Put this down to my lack of knowledge, but why go JS-2 > LPS 1.2 > Allo Clean side vs JS-2 > Allo Clean? I guess I'm curious what additional benefit/effect the LPS in the middle has? I currently run my DigiOne Signature of batteries but while sounding great is a tad impractical, and so I'm considering what the plugged-in options are.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

On 11/18/2017 at 9:17 PM, sandyk said:

You know the Teddy Pardo is an LPS and not an SMPS. I can’t find the post but John Swenson said so when you were bashing the Teddy Pardo when I bought one. I love mine.

14 minutes ago, diecaster said:

You know the Teddy Pardo is an LPS and not an SMPS. I can’t find the post but John Swenson said so when you were bashing the Teddy Pardo when I bought one. I love mine.

At least back in 2014 this was not the case for the generic 12/4 PSU. Not sure about today but I’d check if I were in the market for a new PSU.

Directly from Teddy:

“Unlike our lower current power supplies, our 12/4 is using a switch mode power supply as a front end instead of transformer. We have tested many switch mode power supplies and selected one which is medical grade is has a much lower noise level. “

17 minutes ago, Dutch said:

At least back in 2014 this was not the case for the generic 12/4 PSU. Not sure about today but I’d check if I were in the market for a new PSU.

That particular supply is different than the lower current supplies such as the 7/2 I have......not many people here, probably none,  are buying the 12/4.

9 minutes ago, diecaster said:

That particular supply is different than the lower current supplies such as the 7/2 I have......not many people here, probably none,  are buying the 12/4.

I have a 2014 Teddy 12/4 that I have used to power a fitPC3 for years and, recently, an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2. It uses a SMPS but it is a fine power supply as far as I can say. I have not tried to compare it to the JS-2 or to other PSUs, though. 

Well, most of the supplies people use here are under 2 amps are or less. The LPS 1.2 is only 1.1 amps. When you want 4 amps, design changes are required. I don't need a 4 amp supply so I am not worried about what Teddy Pardo does with his 12/4.

When I need to buy a power supply, I look at the requirements and look at the power supplies that meet those requirements. Then I decide what power supply I think will be best based on cost/performance.

1 minute ago, diecaster said:

Well, most of the supplies people use here are under 2 amps are or less. The LPS 1.2 is only 1.1 amps. When you want 4 amps, design changes are required. I don't need a 4 amp supply so I am not worried about what Teddy Pardo does with his 12/4.

When I need to buy a power supply, I look at the requirements and look at the power supplies that meet those requirements. Then I decide what power supply I think will be best based on cost/performance.

I also have a Teddy Pardo 9V/2A, beside the 12V/4.5A. I have not done extensive comparisons but I believe the Teddy Pardo are excellent power supplies and I would not hesitate recommending them. The build quality is very good and they run cool. 

On 12/17/2018 at 6:31 PM, nbpf said:

Many thanks for your thoughts and experiences on the power supplies and cables.

Looks like the cables are a definite area for experimentation then ?

I wonder if cables and power supplies interact ... noooooooooo. Sad thing is, they probably do. ?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

They do make a difference, but it depends on your system if it's capable of exposing the differences.

My newest Linear Battery Power Supply for my streamer makes a huge difference:

y4moBPLXmrgHIwWvmeYEX3AeyoLsG9eHBAymfT4U

Looks interesting where can I find more info

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Wow nicely made @Kingpinlooks pro. 

So you are not from the tattoo supply business 😂. That's the only thing I could find from your name.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

You can't :)

I made it myself ...

Can you share more details? Or should I say are you willing to share more details? 🙂

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

7 hours ago, dmormerod said:

Can you share more details? Or should I say are you willing to share more details? 🙂

What details do you want?

long story short, it's a linear power supply feeded by a graphene lipo.

Some features:
12 bits voltage control
Fully automatic or manual charging circuit
Undervoltage protection
Overvoltage protection
Automatic sleep function
No switching components
Very low ripple/noisefloor
No 50Hz pickup

Measurements:
0-100kHz
ripple: 300nV