IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

9 minutes ago, crenca said:

Yuck. Are you sure it developed over time? My guess is they were that way from the beginning...

Yep, they are on my desk 3 feet from my ears.  I learned to pay more attention to the warranty period of a product.  Out of (their 20 year) warranty Bryston will fix their amps and preamps for a flat $200 fee.

I originally picked up a demo pair from a local dealer.  They broke a week after I took them home, and KEF shipped me a brand new pair.  They seem to have a quality control problem.

Not that we're ranting on MQA here, but the dealer, Audio High in Mountain View, CA, hosted an MQA listening session a couple of years ago. A friend of mine and I showed up, and they were playing Frank Sinatra tracks from the 1950s. Comparison between MQA and non-MQA? You gotta be kidding.  Total waste of time, but did get some free food and wine.

6 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

Talking about music is cool and all, but can we go back to the purpose of this thread, Michael Lavorgna bashing?

I kid, I kid :D

v

Ok, let's do that, but let's stick to facts.  Here is ML's reply to my first comment on Audiostream - btw, I never apologized.

Someone has replied to your comment on AudioStream.com

Reply posted by: Michael Lavorgna
Reply title: Nice first post, Jim.
Reply comment:
>I found two blogs that really stood out in terms of educating someone like
>myself on the state of the art of audio today - Archimago's blog
>(archimago.blogspot.com), and Mark Waldrep's blog (www.realhd-audio.com).
Excellent. That's what's great about the web, we can all find sites we enjoy.
>Whereas I found many traditional audiophile magazines, Audiostream included,
>appear to be nothing more than a forum to help sell advertising of high-end
>audiophile products.
Appearances? It's OK to be wrong, Jim. The important thing is, once we learn
we are wrong, and you most certainly are, to admit it. You may also want to
apologize since your accusations based on appearances reflect directly on my
character. And that bothers me, Jim.
You may enjoy our Industry Voice section, located under Blogs, where we
interview industry people including Mark Waldrep. I think you'll find it both
educational and interesting.

You'll find the comment at:
http://www.audiostream.com/comment/507961#comment-507961

Now that wasn't enough for ML - he followed up the posting by personally emailing me, which cleared up any doubt that he was nothing more than a shill for manufacturers at the expense of his readers:

Hi Jim,

I'm writing to you about your recent comment on AudioStream. While I'm sure I don't have to remind you of its contents, let me repeat your conclusion:

"Perhaps with the migration of print media to the Web, and the expectation among consumers that online content should be free, the idea of having an online magazine such as Audiostream publish objective content to their readers that is unbiased and educational is inherently in conflict with the business goals of maximizing advertising revenue. I would hope not. But for now, that certainly seems to be the case."

While I love unfounded conjecture as much as the next guy, consider this your first and last warning. If you continue to make stuff up at my expense, your account will be blocked.

Cheers,

MICHAEL LAVORGNA

EDITOR, AUDIOSTREAM.COM

"skikirkwood," I read the threads/replies you linked.  It is so strange how people can perceive things differently.  I don't see any "flames," nor do I see him being "downright nasty."

He seemed supportive of you finding music from whatever source you would like, including vinyl, including a smiley-face.

Once he clarified the nature of the article-type, it seems you would have been satisfied.  I suspect if you had offered your XTC knowledge of different masterings in a non-confrontational manner it would have been hailed as a welcome contribution.

Unfortunately, I am afraid you committed the same (I call it a) mistake that I have seen over and over again- that is, the belief that you can question someone's professional integrity and not expect a response (the quote you put in above).  It must be a blind spot to many, or I must be crazy (no need to affirm, Cogley :) ).

It continues to mystify me.

And this is NOT to say that I would even like ML or become a friend; simply that any man has a right to defend his integrity from attack.  Don't you see that your quote demeaned his life's work?  And you want him to publish it?

Sincerely,

"Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," sycophant

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

"Ralf11," that post is simply silly.  It doesn't have anything to do with self-esteem; it has everything to do with honor, class, and realizing that some things, if said in person, would qualify to be challenged, perhaps with a punch in the face.  That could certainly challenge your "self-esteem."  I don't suspect they were writing about ML or me in that article.  Your lack of awareness in that regard is striking, but not unexpected (at all).

Perhaps the Urban Dictionary is correct.

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

2 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

"Ralf11," that post is simply silly.  It doesn't have anything to do with self-esteem; it has everything to do with honor, class, and realizing that some things, if said in person, would qualify to be challenged, perhaps with a punch in the face.  

Already advocating violence?  Nice.  BTW, is that you ML, with a new account pretending to be a "Bill Brown"?

ML has no honor or class.  He's a hack who makes a living deceiving gullible people and I called him out for who he is.  We had additional email exchanges, I'll stop with what I've posted.

I don't like being deceived for someone else's profit.  I don't like the NRA, who is directly responsible for mass murders in the United States where I live.  I don't like the way the tobacco industry did everything they could to obfuscate the fact their product caused lung cancer and killed people.  

Now if ML wasn't a hack or shill for manufacturers my posting wouldn't have had such an impact on him. The fact that he personally emailed me and threatened to cancel my account removed any remaining doubt I had about him, Audiostream, and the audiophile pundit/publication area as a whole.

If I met ML or similar cronies in person, I would absolutely state to their face what I posted on audiostream.  

25 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

The fact that he personally emailed me and threatened to cancel my account removed any remaining doubt I had about him, Audiostream, and the audiophile pundit/publication area as a whole.

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

Unfortunately, I am afraid you committed the same (I call it a) mistake that I have seen over and over again- that is, the belief that you can question someone's professional integrity and not expect a response (the quote you put in above).  It must be a blind spot to many, or I must be crazy (no need to affirm, Cogley :) ).

It continues to mystify me.

And this is NOT to say that I would even like ML or become a friend; simply that any man has a right to defend his integrity from attack.  Don't you see that your quote demeaned his life's work?  And you want him to publish it?

I agree.

25 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

BTW, is that you ML, with a new account pretending to be a "Bill Brown"?

Michael Lavorgna is a C.A. member and doesn't need to stealthily register as a new member.

Talk about drawing the wrong conclusions !

No, I am not a M.L. fanboi either.

BTW, did you seek his approval before posting the copy of his personal email to you ? 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Advocating violence?  No, pointing out reality.  Do you understand the definition of "advocate" or are you simply twisting reality to suit your purpose?  Or do you not understand what I said?  I advocate for not criticizing a man's honor as haphazardly as you anonymous internet posters like.  I suggested that doing that, especially in times past, risks confrontation.

Your definition of "flame" must be different than mine, for I saw none in his, but in yours I read "hack, shill, no class, no honor, deceiving," etc.

And then to go the sock puppet route.  Lord help us.  Cogley beat you to it; see the signature.

Pardon me if I am not impressed by your professed bravery posting anonymously behind your keyboard.  Might be fun to see anyway- see what you are really made of; I suspect not much.

35 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

Already advocating violence?  Nice.  BTW, is that you ML, with a new account pretending to be a "Bill Brown"?

ML has no honor or class.  He's a hack who makes a living deceiving gullible people and I called him out for who he is.  We had additional email exchanges, I'll stop with what I've posted.

I doubt that "Bill Brown" is ML, as I don't think ML could hold his psyche together long enough.

Could be Scroggie tho (??)

Reviewing his posts - nearly all on 2 threads - I suspect he is an ML fanboi or employee (assuming ML has enough money to hire someone).

Someone Alert the List Keeper (IndieDan?? - I forget who keeps the banned list).

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

so, you think it is clear that the blogger of Audioscream has plenty of self-esteem??

if so, do have some other reason to explain his behavior?

I am afraid that I don't understand what you are asking in the first sentence.

As to the second, I think I have made it quite clear what I think the reason is behind his behavior.

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I doubt that "Bill Brown" is ML, as I don't think ML could hold his psyche together long enough.

Could be Scroggie tho (??)

Reviewing his posts - nearly all on 2 threads - I suspect he is an ML fanboi or employee (assuming ML has enough money to hire someone).

Someone Alert the List Keeper (IndieDan?? - I forget who keeps the banned list).

I was joking about "Bill Brown" being ML - ML has a distinctive writing style that is easy to spot.  Might be a relative or personal friend though. 

I just saw some of his previous posts, one of which he is referring to in older times something being "duel-worthy". The dude definitely thinks violence is an appropriate response to someone's words.  Probably lives in Alabama and is a big Trump supporter, with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car.

Just now, Indydan said:

I am not a fan of ML. But, I would make sure I had proof before calling him or anyone else a shill. You have to expect someone will defend themselves if their integrity is attacked.

Publishing glowing articles about the virtues of $1000 ethernet cables is all of the proof I need. QED.

Just now, skikirkwood said:

Publishing glowing articles about the virtues of $1000 ethernet cables is all of the proof I need. QED.

I am not trying to pick a fight. But, that is all you need to form an opinion. An opinion is not proof. 

If if you had to prove in court that he was a shill, this would not be proof.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

That device looks like an opto-isolator and it is not clear what else.

Same principle. But these services generally use transformers and they are even used in mission critical

medical and military applications.

But for hifi, I own 3 different Lan filters/isolaters, and they all work as advertised. i have no experience with the one

linked above.

3 minutes ago, Indydan said:

I am not trying to pick a fight. But, that is all you need to form an opinion. An opinion is not proof. 

If if you had to prove in court that he was a shill, this would not be proof.

True, but I could certainly prove in a court case $1000 ethernet cables had absolutely no improvement of the sound quality of a system.  I could further prove in court that $20,000 network streamers sound no better than $35 Rasberry Pi streamers.  So I could build up a case that his reviews were by and large fraudulent, and then present the motive - profit - through advertising.

But that would be a lot of effort, and there are so many better ways to spend one's time.