IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

1 hour ago, marce said:

But we come accustomed to the sound...

That is a problem. If the change is good I can become accustomed to the sound, however if the change is bad I don't become accustomed to the sound and want it removed from my system ASAP.

If I like the sound after auditioning for a couple of weeks I remove the device for a week or so and listen to my system without it and then after that I put it back in my system again. I then make the decision to keep it or return it for a refund.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

16 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Teresa I was talking about volume matching. John Darko(Digital Audio Review) liked the MQA version of a song on The Nightfly because it was 2 dB louder than the other version he was comparing it to. Its an old trick of the industry louder is preferred. More people than me beat him up pretty good at RMAF.

This agrees with what I stated, if both samples have identical dynamic ranges they can be level-matched. If their dynamic range differs the loudest one will be selected as the best sounding, even if it is not. So I agree, John Darko likely selected the MQA version because it was 2dB louder.  

16 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

I got to disagree with second paragraph. Every room I listened to music in at RMAF sounded different.

I agree, all the rooms I have been to at an audio show have sounded different to me as well, some very different. However, I was discussing hearing differences under A/B conditions. With an audio showroom I can listen normally under comfortable conditions and then walk to another room and do it all over again. If there was a way to directly A/B those rooms it would much harder to hear any differences because of how the human brain works. Which is why I quit A/B’ing decades ago as it hides real audible differences.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

4 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

...person A says I can hear a difference and Person B says no you can't. Person A doesn't really care what Person B thinks or about any test protocols. So I would say, if it matters, it is incumbent on Person B to worry about careful test protocols...

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I don't care what person A says; I care if A can tell a difference.

See the difference?

But in this scenario Person A doesn't care what Person B thinks and is not interested in doing any tests. So only Person A will know if he heard a difference. In this case Person B would have to do the test he(she) wanted Person A to do.

If Person B could somehow make Person A comply with his(her) demands it wouldn't tell me how it will sound to me, for that I need my ears, my room and my audio system. IMHO nothing beats listening for oneself. :)

I still love music.

Teresa

3 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

Burning-in a USB cable? oh god :D  [v puts popcorn in microwave and start hitting refresh...]

:D

v

I burn-in everything whither it needs it or not. I have the XLO / Reference Recordings - Test & Burn-In CD so it's no big deal. I try to give everything a fair chance. :) 

I still love music.

Teresa

17 hours ago, Allan F said:

..."Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted."

-William Bruce Cameron

By way of example, there was an interesting panel discussion at RMAF which included four well known designers of audio equipment. John Curl noted how, in his experience in designing and building amplifiers, he found that different brands of resistors that measured the same did not sound the same. Some sounded great while others sounded awful. Notwithstanding his background in physics, he was unaware of any "technical explanation". His mantra is, "Trust your ears".

This is also what John Curl has told me. I've been to his apartment and seen his entire room of test equipment. He tells me we can only measure a small percentage of what we can hear and what we can measure is not even the most important. That's why after measuring, good audio designers listen by ear to select the best sounding parts that work well together and whose cost are within the projected retail price point of the component. Compromises have to be made in all components except for cost-no-object statement components. Minimizing the sonic consequences of cost compromises is the art of a great designer IMHO.

I'll look forward to hearing that RMAF panel discussion when it appears on YouTube.

I still love music.

Teresa