IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

My opinion: Audirvana has a problem with some AUs over FW. All these AUs I mentioned work well with DAWs over FW.

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

13 minutes ago, Nico said:

My opinion: Audirvana has a problem with some AUs over FW. All these AUs I mentioned work well with DAWs over FW.

Yes, I agree with you.

I hope Audirvana's engineer put a bigger emphasis on this, and reflect on the further update soon.

12 hours ago, BreezyS said:

Thanks everyone.

I will wipe the HDD and reinstall an earlier A+ as per the link kindly provided. Likely be at the weekend now.

Mazuly - take your point about a 'properly' clean install but my Mac came with no system discs. Can you advise where I could get a copy of El Cap from that I can burn to a disc? Also what is the procedure - I've done this with Windows before by never Mac. Maybe I try first with the restore option?

Will let you all know what happens. Thanks for the support :)

Hello BreezyS

You need to make a El Capitan USB startup disk.  You need a USB drive with at least 8GB capacity.

Please follow the instruction here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 (or here: https://www.lifewire.com/perform-a-clean-install-of-os-x-el-capitan-on-your-mac-2259940).  

Once done, restart the computer holding down the Option key with the USB drive inserted and then use the USB drive to run the recovery when prompted.  Once in, before installing El Capitan, use the disk utility to delete all the partitions on your Mac drive including the recovery partition.  Then install El Capitan.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

It is a shame that Tidal masters albums don't show the MQA logo to spot them as against regular versions. It would instantly make sense of a fair amount of duplicates, and if you have an MQA dac you'll likely select the MQA version being able to see what it is.

The A+ Remote app for iPad in fact does show the logo where appropriate, which is strange when the desktop app it is controlling doesn't.

Hello AudioDoctor and bazzvid

Can you replicate the sequence that freezes the A+? 

If yes, PM a screen recording of the sequence do Damien so that he can replicate it in his setup.  if he replicates it, then I am sure he will fix it on the next release.
My issue of crashing when upsampling to DSD through iZotope is now resolved with the last release.  Damien worked with me through PM and the crash screen recording sequence I sent him really helped.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Happens all the time?

What happens when it freezes? 

Do you need to force quit A+ to run it again? 

If yes, then maybe the debug and/or crash report may help Damien to diagnose the issue.

I don't get any freeze on my system so i think each setup is unique.

2 hours ago, mazuly said:

Happens all the time?

What happens when it freezes? 

Do you need to force quit A+ to run it again? 

If yes, then maybe the debug and/or crash report may help Damien to diagnose the issue.

I don't get any freeze on my system so i think each setup is unique.

Lol, yes it happens quite regularly.

It freezes, that's what happens.  it stops playing.

I just manually advance to the next song.  If Damien wants the debug or crash report, he knows how to find me.

great for you that you get no freezes.

How about from now on, you treat me as an adult that can figure out what to do rather than a child that needs step by step instructions.

No electron left behind.

Was just trying to help

I guess I shouldn’t have bothered 

Hi Mazuly

thats a fair point i did think about doing that but i thought it was a common issue ,ive gone back to 3.1.8 now where it still does it with Qobuz but not in Library ,the freezing comes and goes with the different releases i just cant remember the version that worked in A+ and Qobuz,

Personally i think A+ sounds great as is but would like to see ONLY releases that fix the basic PLAYING MUSIC RELIABLY eg like Itunes, as i have many other issues besides the constant need to "supposedly" improve sound quality with upsampling @Sox

like,

search -Never finds certain Artists ???

random play-stops randomly ??

levels between Library and Qobuz complexity different- eg Qobuz really loud

adding albums to library-splits albums up into 2 or more -matadata issues and cant get them together.

compute albums replays gain -Should have the option to set this when album added .

Prune play queue-keyboard short cut please .

i could go on but i wont bore you .

I recently purchased and installed Audirvana 3.2.5 on my iMac connected via wifi to Ultrarendu.  I have noticed that with each startup of Audirvana it is necessary to enter preferences an select the Ultrarendu as the preferred audio device as the program reverts back to " built in output device" after each shutdown.   Audirvana takes several minutes (<5 ) to see the Ultrarendu.  Is this normal behavior or can it be corrected?

mbain

On 1/11/2018 at 7:03 AM, BreezyS said:

Thanks everyone.

I will wipe the HDD and reinstall an earlier A+ as per the link kindly provided. Likely be at the weekend now.

Mazuly - take your point about a 'properly' clean install but my Mac came with no system discs. Can you advise where I could get a copy of El Cap from that I can burn to a disc? Also what is the procedure - I've done this with Windows before by never Mac. Maybe I try first with the restore option?

Will let you all know what happens. Thanks for the support :)

Hi Folks,

I have just got round to reinstalling El Capitan and A+ v 3.1.8

AND IT WORKS!!! :D

I've not changed anything from the default A+ install setup except to select my DAC and music files. Right now, just having it working is such a huge step forward!

Of course, it does raise some questions. Firstly, I think this pretty much conclusively indicates that the underlying problem is something in the config of the later A+ releases with SoX. Secondly, it begs the question of what to do next - other than leave it as is until the end of time, which isn't really an option. I can see that some further updates have recently been released but I confess to having lost some faith in A+. I can't face too many escapades like the one I have just encountered - life is too short. I just want to be able to play music when I want.

My gut feel is to keep doing backups and slowly change things bit by bit, maybe add in the system optimizer and if that works perhaps risk trying the new release in the hope that the bug fixes have sorted the issues. Then at least I can just do a simple roll-back if it all goes wrong.

What do you folks suggest?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and support

Mac Mini Late 2012 i7 16GB 256 SSD, Curious USB, Uptone Regen, Heed Obelisk DA 24/192 USB, Naim NAC 152XS, Naim NAP 155XS, Kudos X2 Speakers

8 hours ago, BreezyS said:

Of course, it does raise some questions. Firstly, I think this pretty much conclusively indicates that the underlying problem is something in the config of the later A+ releases with SoX.

agree.  I've had some bugs since SoX was added to the mix.  I've done a fresh install of High Sierra (from external install disk, not OS restore) thinking the problem may be on my end.  Yet, my 2 issues remain:

1. cursor gets stuck when trying to type a filter steepness value in iZotope advanced parameters. 

2. can't seem to use real time AUs with any acceptable sound quality (FabFilter ProQ2).  It's horrible, and the highs are removed from the output.  Yet if 2x only oversampling is selected, it seems to work fine - most times.  with upsampling off or more than 2x, the output is affected.  The highs sound like they start to roll off pretty steeply at about 5K, very odd.  

I have to believe that Damien is monitoring these threads and is aware.  He's probably racking and stacking these issues to fix.  I can live with my issues for now, but others seems like they're having more substantial "playback" issues.  

Bazzvid,

I turned on the Dacx first then opened Audirvana and found the preferred audio device reset to the built in mode from the Ultra rendu mode where it had been.  Any other suggestions anyone?  Getting very trusted and annoyed having to wait 10 min + for Audirvana to see the Ultrarendu.

mbain

ok mbain,excuse me if you've done this already its a common issue

turn on dac BEFORE mac,turn on mac, open midi setup do you see your dac in the list ? if yes then click on it,it should go red,then right click select-use this device for sound output ,open A+ then prefs,then audio system ,at the top do your see your dac as preferred audio device ? if yes go to system optimizer and untic  optimize system for audio playback.dont have itunes open or run it in itunes integrated mode. keep midi screen open ,play song dont worry if it jumps back to built in output ,it does this but you should still hear it.

if no to any of the above then there may be a connection issues that i cant resolve,let me know,

2 hours ago, mbain said:

Any other suggestions anyone?  Getting very trusted and annoyed having to wait 10 min + for Audirvana to see the Ultrarendu

I don't have an ultraR, but when I first got the microRendu and A+ 3.1 I had a similar issue once or twice. I had to go to the Sonore controls (10.0.1.13 in your browser) then AudioApp Switcher and make sure it's [still] set to MPD/DLNA Active.

Whatever had caused the Mac not to see the mRendu had also switched the mRendu App Switcher to the wrong place... Once I had convinced it that I really wanted these settings, it's never reset since.

NOTE: I never turn my mRendu off (and it powers the DAC, so it doesn't go off either).