IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Heard this and was impressed greatly, especially with the "heft" of the the delivery.  One question, though:  not a huge deal, but does this DAC support native DSD or are those impressive DSD specs for DoP? 

It was all the guy who set up the system.

😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

22 minutes ago, Jud said:

It was all the guy who set up the system.

😉

Sure was!  Thanks for letting me hear it.  I am completely envious! 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, Rune said:

It plays native DSD512.

Thank you! 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

18 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Sure was!  Thanks for letting me hear it.  I am completely envious! 

Absolutely our pleasure. Happy 4th! 😊

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Regarding measurements, recently I started doing TIM measurements for DACs too and also in this case, distortion on S2D is lower with DSD512 inputs than with PCM.

Wow thanks for the detailed reply!

6 hours ago, Miska said:

With DSD512 input due to higher data rate you can start seeing the USB packet ticking at 8 and multiples (16 kHz, 32 kHz, etc) at -140 dB level. That packet ticking part is exactly same for 768k PCM input, but the IMD hump is back

With your new measurements, does DSD256 hit a sweet spot better than DSD512? Maybe lower USB ticking at DSD256 with still no distortion humps?

Or do you still measure best performance at DSD512 with this DAC?

On 7/10/2019 at 3:27 AM, luisma said:

I'm new to this specific topic on AS, Is there an update on the legendary firmware update with so many fixes that was teased by John W quite a while back? Or is it confirmed that won't be an option? 

We've no confirmation either way. After making that promise on pinkfishmedia, John stopped responding in that thread. To make things even more confusing, he stated there that he was no longer associated with Pro-Ject, but several months later a rep with their US distributor told me John was still working with them. I haven't followed up with Pro-Ject HQ so at this point your guess is as good as mine.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

2 hours ago, left channel said:

We've no confirmation either way. After making that promise on pinkfishmedia, John stopped responding in that thread. To make things even more confusing, he stated there that he was no longer associated with Pro-Ject, but several months later a rep with their US distributor told me John was still working with them. I haven't followed up with Pro-Ject HQ so at this point your guess is as good as mine.

Ha, I was at the Florida Audio Show at their  room and I asked them about John W and they said he was still under contract with Pro-ject. Which by the way the room was another company, Merrill Audio maybe? who owns Pro-ject?

18 hours ago, luisma said:

who owns Pro-ject?

13 hours ago, left channel said:

Pro-Ject owns Pro-Ject, led by the original founder. Their US distributors are Sumiko, who in turn manage a wide range of dealers ranging from the McIntosh Group to Audio Advisor.

Self-correction: actually Sumiko is owned by the McIntosh Group, along with several other brands including of course McIntosh. So dealers like Audio Advisor buy from Sumiko, with Pro-Ject supplying Sumiko under an agreement with the McIntosh Group.

• 1 month later...

Hallo,

I have worked my way through the meanwhile 44 off long pages of this thread but I cannot recall having read yet about listening experiences of users with the battery powered Pro-Ject 'Accu Box S2 USB'. I do not only like the fact it is supposed to provide clean power but it also comes in the same small box design and size as the 'Pre Box S2 Digital' which would perfectly fit my current desktop set-up - Mac mini late 2018, PureMusic 3.09c, iTunes 12.9.5 plus powered speakers Abacus 'C-Box 2'.

I am aware and perfectly understand how important clean power provided to Digital devices is but nobody in this thread has yet shared specific feedback of how much (or less) the 'Accu Box S2 USB' helps to enhance the already praised sound quality of the 'Pre Box S2 Digital'? Is there any feedback available?

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

I have one of the very first S2 units. It's one of the units that I cannot upgrade the firmware anymore (at least with current installer on Pro-Ject site).I wonder if there is any significant benefit purchasing a new unit that works with current upgrade installers. My unit does not have the "clicking " issue or reverse channels. 

I thought the clicking noise and the reverse channel were fixed in the 2.12 fw release but not the MQA drop outs entirely. I am not (yet) a great fan of MQA but of course will try it out as soon as the new unit I have on order right now will have arrived hopefully later this week.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

3 hours ago, arcman said:

I have one of the very first S2 units. It's one of the units that I cannot upgrade the firmware anymore (at least with current installer on Pro-Ject site).I wonder if there is any significant benefit purchasing a new unit that works with current upgrade installers. My unit does not have the "clicking " issue or reverse channels. 

What is your firmware version?  (Press the Menu button, then press an arrow button twice.)

On 8/18/2019 at 5:05 AM, Raimund Heubel said:

Hallo,

I have worked my way through the meanwhile 44 off long pages of this thread but I cannot recall having read yet about listening experiences of users with the battery powered Pro-Ject 'Accu Box S2 USB'. I do not only like the fact it is supposed to provide clean power but it also comes in the same small box design and size as the 'Pre Box S2 Digital' which would perfectly fit my current desktop set-up - Mac mini late 2018, PureMusic 3.09c, iTunes 12.9.5 plus powered speakers Abacus 'C-Box 2'.

I am aware and perfectly understand how important clean power provided to Digital devices is but nobody in this thread has yet shared specific feedback of how much (or less) the 'Accu Box S2 USB' helps to enhance the already praised sound quality of the 'Pre Box S2 Digital'? Is there any feedback available?

That new product was developed by or under the guidance of the designer of the S2D, who in the previous year urged us to use battery or linear PSUs in the meantime. Our results with third-party solutions should be able to tell you something about what an Accu Box might do for you. But our results have varied widely, due to differences in each user's local power, connections, and of course ears. Personally I hear little to no difference. I've seen some discussion of this product in the S2D thread on head-fi, though no specific reviews yet. But when we do see reports here or there, I expect the same range of results.

Thanks for your assessment of the "Accu Box S2 USB" power supply and the link to the neighbour forum which provided an interesting read. I cannot wait to get my hands on these two little devices and give them a critical listen myself.

I agree there are much cheaper 3rd party battery power solutions, still I am in favor of the common design language between the "Pre Box S2D" and the "Accu Box S2 USB" despite the higher price point of the later compared to these 3rd party PSUs. Nevertheless I regard both devices as rather cheap compared to prices you usually pay for similar equipment from other makes.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

I have just received the Pro-Ject "Pre-Box S2 Digital" as well as the Pro-Ject "Accu Box S2 USB" and have installed them in my home office, here are my first impressions.

What can I say? So far I am quite happy with the sound quality especially considering the rather low price point of the two units. The battery powered PSU much improved the sound with clearer voices, more precise mids and bass, there is no turning back. The comparison is easily possible by switching the "Accu Box S2 USB" PSU off and on by using the button on the left.

In the near field - I am sitting about 1 m away from the "Abacus C-Box 2" Active Speakers - the "Pre Box S2 Digital" delivers a very detailed sound image, the music easily separates from the speakers and creates a 3D sound stage more wide than deep.

There is a bit of tendency to harsh, more digital synthetic than analog organic sounding highs probably owed to the fact that the DAC and the PSU are new and require some more hours of playback time to smoothen out. The bass is more on the light side and definitely takes advantage of the battery powered PSU to grow its presence and fundament.

The strength of the system definitely is its great performance-to-price ratio which - I guess - will not be beaten easily.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

1 hour ago, arcman said:

v 2.12

That is the current version on the Pro-Ject website, and as far as I know that is the latest version. We've been waiting a long time for a promised free update and optional paid upgrade, but I've seen no news about those. I've also seen no announcement of a new version of the product with different firmware updater. Where did you see that information?