IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

Thanks guys. I checked with my Audiolab MDAC and the problem is the same. So it's sounding even less likely that Allo's explanation above (Linux flaw) is correct.

Is there anyone out there please using S2D with Allo's USBridge and moOde? This is a big puzzle and Allo have lost interest now that my product is working (following their downgrade fix).

(It's not broadband or LAN or USB cable or power supply or file server or Qobuz. Works fine with 2 year old version of moOde/Linux.)
  • 1 year later...
I have owned Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital for three years now,
 I just noticed that if you change the balance in windows,
 either in the sound settings or in aimp, for example, 
a wheeze appears in the channel with reduced volume.
 I also checked it on a laptop and with other drivers,
 no change. There are owners of this DAC, do you observe this?
6 hours ago, free0704 said:
I have owned Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital for three years now,
 I just noticed that if you change the balance in windows,
 either in the sound settings or in aimp, for example, 
a wheeze appears in the channel with reduced volume.
 I also checked it on a laptop and with other drivers,
 no change. There are owners of this DAC, do you observe this?

I never noticed anything like that while using my Pre Box S2D. That sound could be electrical interference coming in via your source or power components. Maybe it's always there, but usually hidden under the music. How is your S2D connected to the source and power?

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

12 hours ago, left channel said:

How is your S2D connected to the source and power?

via usb from pc. Tried external power, no change. 
Tried to change the driver, sample rate. The effect is well manifested if in windows let's turn down the volume of the left channel, 
on the amplifier turn down the volume of the right channel, then distortion will be heard in the left channel. 
here is the sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEQ6mNiSxE
The problem is most likely in the cable between the DAC and the amplifier, at first I thought the problem was in the amplifier (marantz pm 6006), I disconnected one channel with a cable on the DAC, 
there was interference in this channel after the amplifier, while I disconnected the interconnect cable, 
the interference disappeared completely. The interconnect cable was soldered from klotz mc5000.
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, b33rd said:

I would like to hook up mine with an WinXP based music player PC. Any help is appreciated :-)

On their support page

https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/PreBoxS2Digital-Firmware-V212.zip

I waited years for John Westlake to release a new firmware he was working on which he announced with many updates but during these years seems like the Pro-Ject / John partnership was falling apart and the new firmware was never released.

• 1 month later...

I respectfully request your kind and generous help for a friend GH considering DAC 200 for GH's 2nd system primarily for TV (may stream Qobuz via M-Connect.)  DAC 200 price is irrelevant to this conversation.   

Most of the below Qs relate to labels on DAC 200's rear panel:

What is SYS IN?

What is USB SYS?  

What is HDMI OUT (ARC?)  

What is CTRL?  

What is CHARGE?  

Is there ethernet connector (appears not)?

Is TV HDMI > DAC 200 OK?  Ditto TV optical > DAC 200?  Which performs better?  

Describe the method for firmware/software updates.

Another friend says DAC 200's DSD decoding is "unique."  If possible, please comment.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.