IGNORED

Recommendations for Small Musical System - Mid 2017.

I am having second thoughts about the music available in our living room, and am thinking of putting a small set of high quality speakers in there. By small, I mean physically small and with either totally hidden amps or something small and cool looking. A PS Audio Sprout for example, mated with the LS50's?  

Or something totally different, perhaps. We are trying hard to avoid adding a lot more electronics in the room, as there is already a 65" flatscreen on the wall, a B&W soundbar below that, s Sony Bluray player. The TV is on a Vesa mount on the wall of course, and the rest of the gear is stashed on top of or in a basket in a couple IKEA shelves. There are 16 baskets to hide things in... but they have to be no wider than 12". 

That rather limits the choices! 

Ideas anyone? The LS50s sound great, but are so high tech looking that we just don't like them in the room. 

Maybe a Peachtree Nova and a set of ??? (Harbeths? Spendors? Vandersteen cubes? Audience? Maggie minis? Martin Logans?)

The iFi Retro would look just great, but the speakers are a little anemic for the living room, and I am still allergic to tubes (Power tube replacement time for the iFi - ouch!)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Though I replied to this.  I don't want the same spend I would use on the primary system, so I was thinking between $3K - $4K max. Probably most of the spend is on speakers, I think. Computer and source are already in place of course. 

Robert A. Heinlein

Go with powered speakers.  Amps are by default hidden (inside the speaker). 

The KEFs would be nice in powered model, but I guess they have been given the kibosh. 

I haven't had hands on them, but will any of the Genlec's work for your budget, looks etc.  They are said to sound very good, and most models are small. 

I would also take a look at some of the powered Focal Be6.5 monitors.  Of course being pro monitors speakers they don't have grill covers.  Maybe you could make one that would be acceptable. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Solo6Be

If I were going with unpowered I would heavily consider the Revel Performa 3 M106 speakers.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa3-m106-loudspeaker

Any of these might benefit from at least one hidden sub to work if your living room is large. 

BTW, have heard the small Harbeth and Spendors in the past year.  Both are quite good, and I thought more musical than the LS50 passive version.  I don't think I would prefer them over the Revel or Focals however.   Both Harbeth and Spendors seemed to need a bit more oomph from the amp than one might expect to get their best sound.  They sounded quite good on some Bel Canto Reference 150 and also on some 300 monos.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

10 hours ago, esldude said:

The KEFs would be nice in powered model, but I guess they have been given the kibosh. 

I haven't had hands on them, but will any of the Genlec's work for your budget, looks etc.  They are said to sound very good, and most models are small. 

I would also take a look at some of the powered Focal Be6.5 monitors.  Of course being pro monitors speakers they don't have grill covers.  Maybe you could make one that would be acceptable. 

If I were going with unpowered I would heavily consider the Revel Performa 3 M106 speakers.

Any of these might benefit from at least one hidden sub to work if your living room is large. 

BTW, have heard the small Harbeth and Spendors in the past year.  Both are quite good, and I thought more musical than the LS50 passive version.  I don't think I would prefer them over the Revel or Focals however.   Both Harbeth and Spendors seemed to need a bit more oomph from the amp than one might expect to get their best sound.  They sounded quite good on some Bel Canto Reference 150 and also on some 300 monos.

Am I right that those speakers need two cables (power, signal)? He may want to cut on the cables too. I would suggest two things - one, try the Focals before you buy. I'm particularly boot keen on their sound. Second, take a look at the Dynaudio Xeo 2 and 4. Instead of a signal cable you can use a little box and wireless. Unlike the Focus XD it is a somewhat limited on the inputs though. The focus is a bit out of your budget, however with powered speakers you won't need additional amplification.

3 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

Am I right that those speakers need two cables (power, signal)? He may want to cut on the cables too. I would suggest two things - one, try the Focals before you buy. I'm particularly boot keen on their sound. Second, take a look at the Dynaudio Xeo 2 and 4. Instead of a signal cable you can use a little box and wireless. Unlike the Focus XD it is a somewhat limited on the inputs though. The focus is a bit out of your budget, however with powered speakers you won't need additional amplification.

Yes, an AC cable and an XLR or TRS for signal. 

The Dynaudio's do look interesting.  I don't know if Paul wants the quality bottleneck of wireless bluetooth.  If you feed them digital you are back to needing two cables.  The DNLA and wireless remote capability of the Dynaudio speakers would be a welcome feature.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

18 hours ago, esldude said:

I agree with the powered speakers as they would reduce the amount of boxes but studio monitor cabinets are generally designed for purpose...

As for the BBC monitors, I would avoid the smaller sealed cabinet LS3/5a family speakers and go for the slightly larger and easier to drive Graham Audio LS5/9 instead (or the Harbeth M30).

Current Spendor Classics are designed by someone else and no longer as good.

I really like Davone's style but know nothing about their performance:

http://www.davoneaudio.com/

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

4 hours ago, esldude said:

Yes, an AC cable and an XLR or TRS for signal. 

The Dynaudio's do look interesting.  I don't know if Paul wants the quality bottleneck of wireless bluetooth.  If you feed them digital you are back to needing two cables.  The DNLA and wireless remote capability of the Dynaudio speakers would be a welcome feature.

Agree that wireless is a bottleneck for the system at the moment if one is looking at the cream of the crop in audio formats. However, the reviews are very positive especially of the amplification technology of their line. Among his wishes are subjective ones like cool looking, which is something very personal (is a Hugo cool looking? What about a McIntosh?) so what we can give him at the moment are some ideas. But then I've considered having powered speakers and now I'm trying to figure out how to hide away all the boxes I'm already collecting :)

22 minutes ago, semente said:

I agree with the powered speakers as they would reduce the amount of boxes but studio monitor cabinets are generally designed for purpose...

As for the BBC monitors, I would avoid the smaller sealed cabinet LS3/5a family speakers and go for the slightly larger and easier to drive Graham Audio LS5/9 instead (or the Harbeth M30).

Current Spendor Classics are designed by someone else and no longer as good.

I really like Davone's style but know nothing about their performance:

http://www.davoneaudio.com/

I should have been more specific.  It was the M30 I was referring to which is intended as a LS5/9 replacement.  I also had forgotten, they do make a self powered M30.1 which might work. Not familiar with the Graham Audio, but it does appear to be a bit more efficient.

25 minutes ago, unbalanced output said:

Agree that wireless is a bottleneck for the system at the moment if one is looking at the cream of the crop in audio formats. However, the reviews are very positive especially of the amplification technology of their line. Among his wishes are subjective ones like cool looking, which is something very personal (is a Hugo cool looking? What about a McIntosh?) so what we can give him at the moment are some ideas. But then I've considered having powered speakers and now I'm trying to figure out how to hide away all the boxes I'm already collecting :)

I agree, and the Dynaudio's are what I would consider cool looking speakers.  But everyone has their own idea of cool don't they.

Of course my idea of cool speakers are panels, and in my experience, women hate, HATE, HATE panels more than nearly anything else.  For cool looks I might suggest some vintage Acoustat 1+1's and a good subwoofer.  I don't think that fits with Paul's needs and wishes at the moment.  Those are beamy, inefficient and panels. 

So sure everyone throwing some spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks for Paul is good. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Of course my idea of cool speakers are panels, and in my experience, women hate, HATE, HATE panels more than nearly anything else.

They hate anything that big that intrudes into the living room. My friend's B&W CDM7NT's (small floorstanders, similar to the current 804's) did not pass the W.A.F. in his house. Now relegated to being shoved against the wall in the corners of the room behind a sofa.

My wife wasn't too happy when I moved my speakers three feet forward into the room from the front wall, either, but she knows when to pick her battles.

23 hours ago, esldude said:

I was looking for some of the new Genelec G1s or G2s, but they are only available from B&H Photo so far as I can tell. 

They do look like a likely suspect, if the WAF passes on the garden nome vibe... :)

Those are kind of pretty even without grill covers. Will pass them by the boss for a visual eval. Never bought anything from Focal before, but there is always a first time!

Hiding the amps is going to be a bit of a problem, so the active speakers really strike a chord with me. Any my "taste" in speakers tends to be towards the well balanced clean sound you get from an acoustic suspension design. Devilishly difficult to find these days though. 

IN the non-powered world, I was thinking of a pair of Totem DreamCatchers or KIN Minis might fit the bill, but who knows> 

Robert A. Heinlein

16 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Hi Paul, Is this the Panorama 2? If so, what do you find inadequate about it for music? Lack of stereo separation was my only complaint with it sound wise. Paired with a B&W PV1D sub, I'd be perfectly happy myself.

Yep, it is Panorama 2, and it does sound quite good. For music, the real fault is only in the imaging, which is very limiting.  I have to say the Naim MuSo sounds a lot better with most material though, and is a lot of fun to play with. 

Robert A. Heinlein

20 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

that's why you never buy panels

you buy "room dividers"

The first pair of Maggies I sold thru a local trade paper.  The purchaser took just this approach to putting one over on his wife.  NADA! did not work.  She was unhappy.  I became good friends with him for the rest of his life.  No amount of time would dull the disgust for the "room divider speakers" held by his wife however.

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

c'est la vie

other options:

- the socks can be silk screened to look like art prints

- the cables can be explained away as 'electricity to drive the ionizer so we have good positive ions in the air"

Not unfortunately to my wife.  Maggies, my most favorite speaker of all time, are definitely banned in the living room. I even tried to sneak the little wall mounted guys by  - with art prints - but she wasn't having any of it. Office only, or if Karen had her way - storage unit only!  :)

Robert A. Heinlein

What about a compromise; you get stark modernist styling speakers that sound good and she gets to pick something chic like designer chair bases to use as stands?  Guests see what they want in the arrangement.  Mainly the eye catching and much larger stands with conversation piece rope thick cables draping off them.