IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

45 minutes ago, Pedro123 said:

With Audnirvana and a MacMini the connection is MPD/DLNA on Eunhasu.

46 minutes ago, Pedro123 said:

With Audnirvana and a MacMini the connection is MPD/DLNA on Eunhasu.

Yeah I know that!!! But after activating MPD/DLNA  I still can’t see SOtM in the audio selection menu on mac

strange that guys from audirvana responds at their on pace 

14 hours ago, mustafakaiser said:

Yeah I know that!!! But after activating MPD/DLNA  I still can’t see SOtM in the audio selection menu on mac

strange that guys from audirvana responds at their on pace 

Easy there, Mustafa.

You have hardly given any details and there are loads of stuff that you may be doing wrong or incompatibilities. And it might not even have anything to do with Audirvana (more likely than not to do with it in fact).

Make sure all your software (including Mac OS) is up to date is one word of advice.

I'm running the SMS-200 Ultra in 9V (which is recommended) with a mojo-audio Illuminati ll. It doesn't run hot and crushes the  mRendu it replaced,  More detail, better bottom, cleaner, more relaxed, clearer vocals.  A major difference is how the SMS-200 Ultra handles hi res. With the mRendu I often couldn't hear the difference or the hi res sounded worse. Now it's like I'm listening to recordings for the first time. Recently listened to 24/192 of Dylan's Desire. I was severely disappointed in the recording via the  mRendu, with the Ultra it sounds great. On "One More Cup of Coffee"  the presentation was more engaging and made more sense, much better separation. For example, I clearly heard and could place a tambourine.. I know the SMS-200 was considered very similar to the mRendu in sound, I didn't hear the former, but if it is as close to the mRendu as I've read, the 200 Ultra is a significant improvement over the 200. I will say, the Ultra deserves a good PSU to shine, I think the Illuminati II really helps. It's the best PSU I've heard, better and cheaper  than the Sonore signature. 

However, be aware of one thing. For those running Roon, I would suggest you occasionally reboot the Roon server and Roon Ready. The vocals and top end becam thin and scratchy. It bothered me for a long time. A reboot fixed it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the addict in me started looking as a result. Although I fixed the problem,  while looking I caught the bug and bought a new Antipodes Gen 3 anyway. I'm an addict and I kind of hate myself for it. While I'm awaiting the Antipodes' arrival I keep on questioning my decision. This set up sounds sounds so incredibly good, I don't want to give it up. I'll likely sell it, but part of me doesn't want to. 

22 minutes ago, jtrelin said:

I'm running the SMS-200 Ultra in 9V (which is recommended) with a mojo-audio Illuminati ll. It doesn't run hot and crushes the  mRendu it replaced,  More detail, better bottom, cleaner, more relaxed, clearer vocals.  A major difference is how the SMS-200 Ultra handles hi res. With the mRendu I often couldn't hear the difference or the hi res sounded worse. Now it's like I'm listening to recordings for the first time. Recently listened to 24/192 of Dylan's Desire. I was severely disappointed in the recording via the  mRendu, with the Ultra it sounds great. On "One More Cup of Coffee"  the presentation was more engaging and made more sense, much better separation. For example, I clearly heard and could place a tambourine.. I know the SMS-200 was considered very similar to the mRendu in sound, I didn't hear the former, but if it is as close to the mRendu as I've read, the 200 Ultra is a significant improvement over the 200. I will say, the Ultra deserves a good PSU to shine, I think the Illuminati II really helps. It's the best PSU I've heard, better and cheaper  than the Sonore signature. 

However, be aware of one thing. For those running Roon, I would suggest you occasionally reboot the Roon server and Roon Ready. The vocals and top end becam thin and scratchy. It bothered me for a long time. A reboot fixed it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the addict in me started looking as a result. Although I fixed the problem,  while looking I caught the bug and bought a new Antipodes Gen 3 anyway. I'm an addict and I kind of hate myself for it. While I'm awaiting the Antipodes' arrival I keep on questioning my decision. This set up sounds sounds so incredibly good, I don't want to give it up. I'll likely sell it, but part of me doesn't want to. 

If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 10/11/2017 at 2:13 AM, ElviaCaprice said:

If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM.

Just curious. Have you owned an sMS-200ultra?

On 10/14/2017 at 12:26 AM, TopQuark said:

Just curious. Have you owned an sMS-200ultra?

You don't have to answer this. I see from your other post that you have not tried the trifecta.

With due respect, please refrain from commenting on anything that you do not have experience of.  Thank you.

image.gif

Since my comments pertained to the sCLK-EX server (which I own) and how that if one enjoyed the effects of the sCLK-EX in their SOtM-200 Ultra, they would definitely enjoy them in a server.

Hardly see what your point is, other than to personally attack me?   You do not have the authority what so ever to say what I can comment on or not.  In fact, you should step back, with due respect and refrain from your improper comments here.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Since my comments pertained to the sCLK-EX server (which I own) and how that if one enjoyed the effects of the sCLK-EX in their SOtM-200 Ultra, they would definitely enjoy them in a server.

Hardly see what your point is, other than to personally attack me?   You do not have the authority what so ever to say what I can comment on or not.  In fact, you should step back, with due respect and refrain from your improper comments here.

First off, I am not personally attacking you.  Just your statement.  Please read is again:

"If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM."

...and this is not the first time unsupported statements are made in your posts.  In fact, I'm surprised you are in the sMS-200ultra thread that you've never owned or tried and tell everyone your mobo is better?  I also doubt you own the sMS-1000 and you are suggesting your mobo is better?   

I'll let others judge this.

26 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

First off, I am not personally attacking you.  Just your statement.  Please read is again:

"If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM."

...and this is not the first time unsupported statements are made in your posts.  In fact, I'm surprised you are in the sMS-200ultra thread that you've never owned or tried and tell everyone your mobo is better?  I also doubt you own the sMS-1000 and you are suggesting your mobo is better?   

I'll let others judge this.

Now you story changes and it's no longer about the SMS-200 Ultra.  Where did I claim my mobo was better?  I merely suggested to the op that if he liked the sounds of the sCLK-EX in his SMS-200 Ultra that he would also enjoy it in a server.  Where do you come off here?  My communications or replies to your attacks are over, ignore.

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

What is the difference between the 6.5-8.5v, 9v, and 12v versions of the Ultra?

I am guessing only the former (6.5-8.5v) would work with Ultracap LPS-1?

The 12v is to better match the sCLK-EX that is in the sMS-200ultra. It was preferred for better SQ but the difference has not have been proven in A/B tests.  Regardless, you can get the 12v.  It is switchable to 9v by mounting a jumper to the board.  I believe the 9v can be bumped to 12v also but better to check with SOtM.

The 6.5-8.5v will work on LPS-1.

1 minute ago, TopQuark said:

The 12v is to better match the sCLK-EX that is in the sMS-200ultra. It was preferred for better SQ but the difference has not have been proven in A/B tests.  Regardless, you can get the 12v.  It is switchable to 9v by mounting a jumper to the board.  I believe the 9v can be bumped to 12v also but better to check with SOtM.

The 6.5-8.5v will work on LPS-1.

I apologize if I was not clear.

Since I have the sms-200 coupled with LPS-1, I should get the 6.5-8.5v Ultra in order for it to work with LPS-1?

And if I do so, am I missing something by not getting the 12v version?

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

It was preferred for better SQ but the difference has not have been proven in A/B tests. 

Preferred by who? And if it was not proven in A/B tests, how come either one was preferred? Kind of a contradiction to me. Can you elaborate, please?

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

1 hour ago, thyname said:

I apologize if I was not clear.

Since I have the sms-200 coupled with LPS-1, I should get the 6.5-8.5v Ultra in order for it to work with LPS-1?

And if I do so, am I missing something by not getting the 12v version?

No, you are not missing anything.  The unit is selectable to all those voltage ranges:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/sclk-ex-extra-power-input/

14 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Preferred by who? And if it was not proven in A/B tests, how come either one was preferred? Kind of a contradiction to me. Can you elaborate, please?

Preferred by SOtM.  12v matches the sCLK-EX in the unit better.  It's not proven in A/B test by most of those that tested it.  Each system is different.  Changes in voltage may be more apparent in one system than others.  You can check the 1st paragraph in the same link below about effect in SQ in changing the voltage:

Of course, if you have a very sensitive set-up, you may notice it just like one's experience below:

9 hours ago, TopQuark said:

Preferred by SOtM.  12v matches the sCLK-EX in the unit better.  It's not proven in A/B test by most of those that tested it.  Each system is different.  Changes in voltage may be more apparent in one system than others.  You can check the 1st paragraph in the same link below about effect in SQ in changing the voltage:

Of course, if you have a very sensitive set-up, you may notice it just like one's experience below:

The standard voltage for the sCLK-EX is 9V.

I have the ultra with the LPS-1 set to 7V and it sounds fantastic. Can't speak for others, but I think SOtM is optionally providing 12V because a lot of power supplies work at 12V.

An extra advantage is that my sMS-200 ultra is not running hot. I've always considered heat the enemy for sensitive electronics.

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

The standard voltage for the sCLK-EX is 9V.

I have the ultra with the LPS-1 set to 7V and it sounds fantastic. Can't speak for others, but I think SOtM is optionally providing 12V because a lot of power supplies work at 12V.

An extra advantage is that my sMS-200 ultra is not running hot. I've always considered heat the enemy for sensitive electronics.

This is what May of SOtM wrote me when I asked the same question:

And the voltage differences are to find the best possible settings according to your system. we recommend using the standard voltage(9V) but if you have the good power supply as the sPS-500, you can adjust the power easily by adjusting the jumper settings. And the Upton LPS-1 is slightly short to power to sMS-200ultra, cause the sMS-200ultra requires at least 2A.

3 hours ago, thyname said:

This is what May of SOtM wrote me when I asked the same question:

And the voltage differences are to find the best possible settings according to your system. we recommend using the standard voltage(9V) but if you have the good power supply as the sPS-500, you can adjust the power easily by adjusting the jumper settings. And the Upton LPS-1 is slightly short to power to sMS-200ultra, cause the sMS-200ultra requires at least 2A.

I think the 2A requirements only count when external hard disks are connected to the ultra. Mine is working fine as NAA powered by the LPS-1.

I just got mine back from SOtM with various upgrades and at the same time, I asked for a voltage change from 9V to 12V. 

The main reason being that earlier I read several posts that people found the SMS-200 sound best at 12V. The difference between the SMS-200 and the Ultra is the clock, so the streaming unit itself should still sound best at 12V. At least that is my guess.

29 minutes ago, zoltan said:

I just got mine back from SOtM with various upgrades and at the same time, I asked for a voltage change from 9V to 12V. 

The main reason being that earlier I read several posts that people found the SMS-200 sound best at 12V. The difference between the SMS-200 and the Ultra is the clock, so the streaming unit itself should still sound best at 12V. At least that is my guess.

With the ultra there is more going on then just the clock In my opinion. Why on earth would a higher voltage that has to be stepped down to a much lower voltage and thus resulting in heat sound better? Perhaps because different power supplies are used between the A/B comparison?

32 minutes ago, afrancois said:

With the ultra there is more going on then just the clock In my opinion. Why on earth would a higher voltage that has to be stepped down to a much lower voltage and thus resulting in heat sound better? Perhaps because different power supplies are used between the A/B comparison?

I don't know. But as I said earlier, my understanding is that the Ultra is practically a standard SMS-200 plus the clock added as a separate panel (which is true if you look inside). The clock apparently only works with 9V but the unit itself can still work with 12V. Therefore, the jumper for different voltage has to be changed on the sCLK-EX panel only. 
Anyway, I have the SPS-500 and I will try both voltages at one point with the same power supply.