IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

3 minutes ago, jjh1585 said:

I would like to get a V1 modified by Sotm if I can locate one. Google doesn't show any.

I took a chance on the one I have. I bought it off Amazon. It came form France.

All sorts of leaps of faith getting a V1 modified. Are you just going by some kind of logic that I have said it was good and hence it would be worth modifying? It sounds like that to me.

Mfin, if the Asus goes into Port 1 on the switch and the SOtM out of Port 5 would you then add the music server to Port 3 rather than any of the others or have it plugged into the Asus (on which port?)? 

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

22 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Mfin, if the Asus goes into Port 1 on the switch and the SOtM out of Port 5 would you then add the music server to Port 3 rather than any of the others or have it plugged into the Asus (on which port?)? 

Chris

My Roon Rock NUC is in another room, plugged into the router, so neither of the ways you have described.

I think I might have mentioned that I am going to be trying it relocated so it is next to the hifi and then of course it will be connected to the switch (no point in plugging it into the ASUS as far as I can think).

I haven't done this so far as my Roon Rock NUC doesn't have a LPSU. I've got one arriving though, so first I will try it leaving it where it is, in the other room, this LPSU will power both the NUC and the router. Then after that I will try the NUC next to the hifi with that LPSU as described above (note this way, the router in the other room will have to stay on its SMPS).

...as for your question on what port, I'd be experimenting and listening for the answer or listening for if things don't matter. I listen for what's best rather than taking what I am told for granted, and in this particular case I haven't had the chance to listen.

Great, that's going to be interesting to see your results.

In the meanwhile, I will then go testing Port 1, 3 and 5 with a Netgear switch and power everything either battery or Hirose-Y-cable from SOtM sPS-500. 

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

21 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Great, that's going to be interesting to see your results.

In the meanwhile, I will then go testing Port 1, 3 and 5 with a Netgear switch and power everything either battery or Hirose-Y-cable from SOtM sPS-500. 

Chris

Ok. That won't relate to my setup or findings really. You're running a switch I didn't like and I think you've said you're running some powerline stuff somewhere which I find messes with things.

The port findings might vary switch to switch too, or on some be relevant and on others not. So there's not really much common thread with the things I've been looking at.

Enjoy your findings though.

mfin, thanks for your ongoing advice.

I have ordered the Ghent cable as recommended - stage 1 complete!

Stage 2 - can't seem to find a Zyxel V1 online, do I assume the V3 is next best (in your opinion) given that there doesn't appear to be any V2s either? Would go for the AQVox but budget won't allow.

Stage 3 - Undecided at this point with Supra or Meicord. Either way, is it recommended that I have 3 of the same? That is one from modem to switch, one from Mac Mini to switch, one from switch to SOtM ultra.

Stage 3 - 2x SBoosters - 1 for Mytek Brooklyn once purchased and 1 for Mac Mini (I will order an Uptone MM conversion kit)

Stage 4 - Add SSD to MM

Another question - Am I right in saying the MM should be as far away from my audio gear as possible? This will determine cable length when I order but will be no more than 2m from my system.

I would love to say that would be end game for me but we all know that just isn't the truth!!!

47 minutes ago, PeteGardner said:

mfin, thanks for your ongoing advice.

I have ordered the Ghent cable as recommended - stage 1 complete!

Stage 2 - can't seem to find a Zyxel V1 online, do I assume the V3 is next best (in your opinion) given that there doesn't appear to be any V2s either? Would go for the AQVox but budget won't allow.

Stage 3 - Undecided at this point with Supra or Meicord. Either way, is it recommended that I have 3 of the same? That is one from modem to switch, one from Mac Mini to switch, one from switch to SOtM ultra.

Stage 3 - 2x SBoosters - 1 for Mytek Brooklyn once purchased and 1 for Mac Mini (I will order an Uptone MM conversion kit)

Stage 4 - Add SSD to MM

Another question - Am I right in saying the MM should be as far away from my audio gear as possible? This will determine cable length when I order but will be no more than 2m from my system.

I would love to say that would be end game for me but we all know that just isn't the truth!!!

Stage 1 - The Ghent cable I bought as I knew of it, knew it cost little, that's all. I am not claiming it will be better than any other Y-leads, it's just what I bought. It will be interesting to hear how you think it compares, I have not yet considered upgrading from this as I am concentrating on other things for now.

Stage 2- You won't find a V1 in a store, it was stopped being sold a long time back. eBay has some used ones, you can usually identify by looking at the graphics on the front, the little port symbols, as a V2 had different ones (I don't know if the graphics overlapped at all from V1 to V2 or whether they changed them exactly when the V2 came out). The V3 is normally spottable because of packaging and being the latest one.

When you say "do I assume the V3 is next best (in your opinion)", NO, please don't assume that at all, as far as I can see it has nothing in common with the others that I can tell (just look at the inside shots) AND I have not tried it at all either. It is a complete unknown.

Stage 3 - I don't know about having the same cable throughout, you will have to experiment. Why not try one cable first, see what differences you here. Try putting it last in the chain by the way, so into the SOTM. Supra CAT 8 has good comments about it. Meicord costs more but it's more reviewed with more accolades if that attracts you. Both are not very physically flexible for lan cables, the Meicord especially.

Stage 3 continued - If you are doing this Brooklyn change and sBooster thing then get this done. Tweaking the rest when you are setting about major component changes seems odd to me. I'd get the major component changes done first and then do the rest.

Stage 4 - sounds good

As for location of MacMini, you have to decide for yourself. I don't think fussing over 2m will be that relevant though. I am going to be doing some experiments myself with positioning.

Please please don't take my comments above as qualified advice, I am only someone who listens to their own system and changes I make, nothing more. I do not claim to understand all these aspects being discussed, only my own listening findings. There are so many people offering advice on forums like this and I am constantly absorbing what they are finding as well!

I really don't want people following my advice, it would be stupid, I am just a random bloke who is trying and finding out things for myself. Of course it will be interesting to hear if others like the switch choice I did, but I would not bet for one second on how many people will agree or disagree, I'm only offering up what I concluded and preferred.

Thanks once again mfin. I understand completely. I am also navigating this fairly new area of audio. I'm clearly a little behind the curve as far as you are concerned. It's simply my journey to glean what I can from people such as yourself to make more informed decisions. I will continue to evolve my listening pleasure thru valued conversation and self discovery and hope others will continue to evolve their enjoyment of music as much as I choose to do. I will surely let you know what I eventually do and give you my feedback

10 hours ago, mfin said:

I really don't want people following my advice, it would be stupid, I am just a random bloke who is trying and finding out things for myself. Of course it will be interesting to hear if others like the switch choice I did, but I would not bet for one second on how many people will agree or disagree, I'm only offering up what I concluded and preferred.

A random bloke opinion...haha!

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, mfin said:

Yes it should flicker. I sent an email to May asking if they could put an option in a future Eunhasu release to disable the network activity led as it's way more of a distraction that it is useful.

You are better off doing a wired connection if you can by the way, and via a switch that you only use to feed the sMS-200ultra. A popular switch would be a Netgear GS108 and do a Swenson shunt, wiring the negative (outside barrel) of the switch's DC connector to the earth pin of a mains plug plugged in next to the switch's SMPS.

(I compared about 10 reasonably priced switches and the above one was not my favourite though ...I'll post about this at some point)

The above was in response to a question about the 'network activity LED' flickering.  By network activity LED are you referring to what I would call the green power LED on the front panel?  If so, I agree it is very annoying, if not, I have a serious problem with my sMS-200Ultra!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

9 minutes ago, Confused said:

The above was in response to a question about the 'network activity LED' flickering.  By network activity LED are you referring to what I would call the green power LED on the front panel?  If so, I agree it is very annoying, if not, I have a serious problem with my sMS-200Ultra!

Yep, Network Activity Led, or some kind of Activity Led. Within the little inch tall button there's its power led at the bottom and a separate activity one at the top, both showing through the same bit of plastic.

It is pointless apart from troubleshooting, so 99.999% of the time it is nothing but annoying.

Maybe more people should drop an email to May.

The led also pisses about if you have it configured for "Roon Ready" and your Dac is turned off or in standby, it's constantly pissing about as it looks for the dac. Annoying when you want to leave the SOtM on 24/7 but standby your dac when not listening to anything.

2 minutes ago, mfin said:

Yep, Network Activity Led, or some kind of Activity Led. Within the little inch tall button there's its power led at the bottom and a separate activity one at the top, both showing through the same bit of plastic.

It is pointless apart from troubleshooting, so 99.999% of the time it is nothing but annoying.

The led also pisses about if you have it configured for "Roon Ready" and your Dac is turned off or in standby, it's constantly pissing about as it looks for the dac. Annoying when you want to leave the SOtM on 24/7 but standby your dac when not listening to anything.

Yes, agreed.  I think I will join the club and send an email to May.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, mfin said:

For now a piece of black tape over the switch should do the job.

Checking in as a happy owner of an sMS-200ultra.

Still testing a lot my configuration to see how I can streamline it to avoid the billion boxes I have before my DAC.

So far the sMS-200ultra and the AQVOX AQ-SWITCH-SE are staying no matter what.

In every test I did when I removed them from the chain the sound closed down and got more veiled and less engaging.

i am using a Mac Mini running Roon Server, what better option I have?

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

32 minutes ago, doraymon said:

Checking in as a happy owner of an sMS-200ultra.

Still testing a lot my configuration to see how I can streamline it to avoid the billion boxes I have before my DAC.

So far the sMS-200ultra and the AQVOX AQ-SWITCH-SE are staying no matter what.

In every test I did when I removed them from the chain the sound closed down and got more veiled and less engaging.

i am using a Mac Mini running Roon Server, what better option I have?

First thought, have you got a good PSU on the sMS-200ultra? If not, get one, no brainer, something like sPS-500 will be good, then later you could add a tXUSBultra and power it off that as well using a Y-lead from Ghent Audio. EDIT, I see you have a tXUSBultra in your sig. If you don't have an sPS500 powering both of those via a Y-lead then do it.

Another thought is either LPSU the Mac Mini, or go the other route, fanless cased NUC running roon rock and linear psu. Selling the Mac Mini might likely fund the NUC, then add a LPSU. Of course, if your Mac Mini is running more than just Roon then you won't want to do this.

What about how it is all positioned? So, how many things are plugged into the AQVox? Is it 3 cables? Mac Mini, Internet from Router, and sMS-200ultra? Some idea of this might bring possibilities.

The AQVox, are you just running the SMPS that came with it?

What ethernet cables are you running?

What USB cable are you running out of the sMS-200ultra?

1 hour ago, mfin said:

If you don't have an sPS500 powering both of those via a Y-lead then do it.

Got an sPS-500 powering both using a sotm Y cable.

1 hour ago, mfin said:

Of course, if your Mac Mini is running more than just Roon then you won't want to do this.

It’s dedicated only to Roon and to hold my music library!

1 hour ago, mfin said:

So, how many things are plugged into the AQVox? Is it 3 cables? Mac Mini, Internet from Router, and sMS-200ultra?

Precisely!

1 hour ago, mfin said:

The AQVox, are you just running the SMPS that came with it?

Yes. I had a chat with Norman of AQVOX and he strongly discourages trying different power supplies.

1 hour ago, mfin said:

What ethernet cables are you running?

Standard cat7 Ethernet from power plug adapter (Ethernet over power line unfortunately) and from Mac mini to the AQVOX switch.

an AQVOX Excel cat7 Ethernet cable 50cm from switch to sMS-200ultra, it’s the best cable they have and they suggest to go with the SE switch.

1 hour ago, mfin said:

What USB cable are you running out of the sMS-200ultra?

QED Reference 30cm to the tX-USBultra and QED Reference 1m from tX-USBultra to DAC

thanks a lot for the many questions, I’m happy to get help to improve my system.

and I’m interested in the NUC solution...

Doraymon, 

Have a second sPS-500 now powering the MacMini, much better than before with a TeddyPardo PSU. 

Power the rest with a battery, I have 6-7 switches and they all sound the same powered with a battery. 

LAN-cables surprisingly make a difference, I am now only using Meicord between Asus, Mini and Ultra - also a good step forward.

Chris 

4 hours ago, doraymon said:

Got an sPS-500 powering both using a sotm Y cable.

It’s dedicated only to Roon and to hold my music library!

Precisely!

Yes. I had a chat with Norman of AQVOX and he strongly discourages trying different power supplies.

Standard cat7 Ethernet from power plug adapter (Ethernet over power line unfortunately) and from Mac mini to the AQVOX switch.

an AQVOX Excel cat7 Ethernet cable 50cm from switch to sMS-200ultra, it’s the best cable they have and they suggest to go with the SE switch.

QED Reference 30cm to the tX-USBultra and QED Reference 1m from tX-USBultra to DAC

thanks a lot for the many questions, I’m happy to get help to improve my system.

and I’m interested in the NUC solution...

Ok. First comment is on AQVox power supply, I know they say that (I have the non-SE), but using a LPSU improves things, I have a 5V Kingrex here that has run on it and at the moment I am feeding it from the 5V of an HDPlex because it is there and available.

So, let's get this right, one of the 3 cables plugged into the AQvox is connected to a Powerline adapter? If so, I say get rid of them, I've heard the negative effects and they are clear. If you can get wifi near your setup get something like an Asus EA-EC87 5Ghz Network Bridge. Even the presence of a powerline adapter nearby affects things, so if you have any other option, do this, even if you are not streaming music as such from things like Tidal. That's actually the first thing I'd address.

By the way, mine is fed like I describe, so same as you but ASUS Network Bridge (with LPSU) for the internet connection, and Roon Rock on NUC with LPSU instead of Mac Mini (if you want to know the parts list to buy then let me know and I'll send you all the links, it's ever so easy to spec up as there's no benefit in going mad on the Ram or system SSD, so you just need to know how big a hard disk you want for music storage (hopefully not so big that you can't have SSD).

What I've done is locate that Asus Network Bridge away from the hifi, so the Roon NUC and sMS200ultra are on 1m meicord cables into the AQVox, but a 10mtr meicord lets me locate the Asus Network Bridge and LPSU on the other side of the room. Now, this suited my setup, but I also could not see the point of having those aerials active right next to my hifi, so it sort of had some amateur logic to doing it.

That standard cable from Mac Mini to AQVox and the one with the internet connection via that powerline adapter you have to get rid of, these you can benefit from something better. Meicord Opal are good and not astronomical in cost.

If there's one thing you do, rid yourself of powerline adapters, they're a noisy way of connecting things and they pollute the mains. I can plug one in in my lounge and actually hear the interference it causes through the speakers when the power amp is on but I am not playing music. They're great things, ever so convenient, but in the end they have no place in a hifi room or house in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, acaro said:

mfin,

Are you able to list out the NUC parts list and instructions on how to get roon rock going?  I think I'm going to give it a shot myself.  Thanks

You may find this article very helpful.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/the-definitive-guide-to-roon-optimized-core-kit-rock-r652/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, acaro said:

mfin,

Are you able to list out the NUC parts list and instructions on how to get roon rock going?  I think I'm going to give it a shot myself.  Thanks

Are you in the UK?

A good shout is to buy a NUC7i5BNH, this has an i5 which is the fastest processor approved for the Acasa Newton S7 fanless case if you want to move it into one of those. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-7th-gen-barebone-nuc-kit-i5-7260u-ddr4-m2plus25-sata-gbe-wifi-bt-intel-iris-plus-graphics-640?v=c

So you basically need the Ram (no point in going beyond 2133 speed as anything faster won't give any benefit), two of these is what I have https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-crucial-ddr4-so-dimm-pc4-17000-(2133)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-12v?v=c

Plus an M2 SSD (the stick type used for the OS) are way way way big enough nowadays, so no advantage getting a bigger capacity one, this is what I used https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-wd-green-m2-2280-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-3d-nand-read-545mb-s-retail but that's out of stock there now, here it is at amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M2WYNP2/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

You can pick whatever 2.5 drive you want for storing the music, so pick your capacity, if your library is small or you mainly stream you'll be able to get SSD, they become very expensive if you need a LOT of space though. So, you need a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as these https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/120gb-to-480gb-25-sata3-ssds

...or bigger https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/ssd-25-sata-iii ....or bigger again... https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/15tb-to-5tb-25-sata3-ssds.

If you need a lot of space and can't afford one you'll have to go for a regular non-ssd 2.5" SATA 3 drive which will be much cheaper, but noisy.

Here's the fanless case https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-newton-s7-aluminum-fanless-case-for-nuc7i5-i3-supports-25-hdd-ssd-with-front-i-o-ports?v=c 

Personally I built it up and had it all working then set about moving it once I knew it was all working.

It's best to have an HDMI cable handy, and an old USB keyboard, so you can do the first steps of setup and all bios changes (inc. later bios changes to tell it that it has no fan if you go fanless but that doesn't really matter).

This video is good for the fanless case moving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-dVdm3OjME but it does omit that on the bottom of the motherboard there is a bios battery stuck to the bottom which needs pulling off it's stubborn sticker, turning upside down and then sticking in a recess at the bottom of the case (basically the case was made before they relocated the battery and they made a recess for where it WAS but now intel moved it.

A pack of computer screws might be handy and an anti-static band. You'll most likely want a good little computer screwdriver that's magnetic too just to help a little with the tiny screws if you are a bit cack handed.

The software side of it was very easy. The most confusing thing for most people would be uncompressing the file that has the codec file you need to drag and drop onto the NUC. Winrar will do it if you have a PC though for example.

Building one up but not doing the fanless case anyone should be capable of really just by reading instructions. The migration into a fanless case I think is best done afterwards, and this seems a bit intimidating but take it slowly and it really isn't at all.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:55 PM, mfin said:

So, let's get this right, one of the 3 cables plugged into the AQvox is connected to a Powerline adapter? If so, I say get rid of them, I've heard the negative effects and they are clear. If you can get wifi near your setup get something like an Asus EA-EC87 5Ghz Network Bridge. Even the presence of a powerline adapter nearby affects things, so if you have any other option, do this, even if you are not streaming music as such from things like Tidal. That's actually the first thing I'd address.

Done! I got a Netgear EX7000, just installed now!

I switched off the 2.4GHz network and reduced the power emission of the 5GHz to 25% to avoid interference with the DAC &Co

15 minutes ago, doraymon said:

Done! I got a Netgear EX7000, just installed now!

I switched off the 2.4GHz network and reduced the power emission of the 5GHz to 25% to avoid interference with the DAC &Co

Sounds sensible, I think people forget that these boxes, even the Asus (which is the same but without the "wireless extender" functionality) don't only receive wifi signal but transmit it back too.

It's easy to forget this if in layman's terms you only think of getting a connection so you can receive information from the internet.

This is another reason I located mine away from the hifi, the other side of the room.

I know it is mickey mouse stuff, but I'm sure a lot of people don't think of it.

I do know for a fact that poweline adapters can audibly mess things up simply by being plugged in near hifi, perhaps even simply being in the same house. I could prove this in 10 seconds flat in my house.