IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

11 minutes ago, bmoregnr said:

I am curious, recognizing everything matters on some level, if you are using a usb drive attached to the sms-200/ultra, does your ethernet connection--assuming it is stable-- theoretically matter as much as the usb drive connection?  Is that ethernet connection more just providing the control signals and the usb drive connection matters more in that configuration?

You are right. It does not matter for the usb drive connection but I'm thinking about adding a NAS down the road.  I've read that the ethernet switch mod makes a difference in SQ. I'm just not sure it can help when connecting the sms 200ultra not directly to the router but through the wi-fi extender ethernet port.

Does anybody here have the 25mHz clock output and a SOtM modified router? 

I have the ultra but no clock output for now. I'm thinking of sending it for a modification (and a router as well) but I would like to know how much difference such a router would make.

Given to cost of the upgrade and the shipping I could buy an AQVOX switch. I wonder which one is the better option?  

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

17 hours ago, wildsam said:

@MayfromSOtM

I have a question regarding mpd dlna mode volume control.

I see roon mode has a volume control fixed function, I was wondering if it is possible to add the same option to MPd dlna mode?

875DBBA5-1487-4C8B-BF22-8D38EED5B45E-259-0000001919F69C13.png

62E5002D-29C6-4AF9-871B-1F9872465941-259-000000197FA8DF1B.png

@wildsam

It cannot be. Options should be separated for each services for now. If we developed integrated configuration menu, your suggestion would be one of implementation points.

I've just replaced my sMS-200 by a sMS-200ultra. 

My first impressions are that the ultra sounds more analog and is less in your face than the standard version.

This is consistent with the impressions you get with a better clock.

Out of the box, the ultra sounds better to me. Let's see what brings burning in. Very promising!

Next test will be to replace the LPS-1 powering the ultra by the sPS-500.

I read that the ultra can run on 9V or 12V if you change the jumper settings. Has anybody actually compared the sound quality with different voltages? I know that some people prefer the higher voltage for the sms-200 but the ultra is different as it has the sCLK-ex panel. Anybody any experience? 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently received the SMS 200 ultra + SPS 500 + tx USBultra. Right now am using it with a thunderbolt external SSD attached to a Mac Mini server with Audinirvana on a iPad.

I need more capacity and am now looking to buy a 2TB SSD. Wondering if any of you have tested the direct USB connection with the SMS 200? Is this a better choice than attaching it to a Mac Mini server or a NAS? Using a Apple Time Capsule as a router in all cases.

I assume if I go the direct method I will have to use a linear powered SSD with a SATA filter.

However, if using a MacMini server is not worse, can I get away with a SSD external hard drive with just basic power supply. Or indeed, should I still have linear power supply and SATA and attach it to the MacMini and eschew the direct USB approach?

For simplicity sake I was hoping that using the direct USB approach would allow me to eliminate a computer (in this case a Mac Mini). But am somewhat worried about placing the external hard drive so close to the renderer.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

By the way, have tested the SMS 200 ultra tryptich package and it beats Sonore, Melco and Aurender (including N10) in my system (a MSB + Raidho set up).

Pedro

24 minutes ago, Pedro123 said:

Recently received the SMS 200 ultra + SPS 500 + tx USBultra. Right now am using it with a thunderbolt external SSD attached to a Mac Mini server with Audinirvana on a iPad.

I need more capacity and am now looking to buy a 2TB SSD. Wondering if any of you have tested the direct USB connection with the SMS 200? Is this a better choice than attaching it to a Mac Mini server or a NAS? Using a Apple Time Capsule as a router in all cases.

I assume if I go the direct method I will have to use a linear powered SSD with a SATA filter.

However, if using a MacMini server is not worse, can I get away with a SSD external hard drive with just basic power supply. Or indeed, should I still have linear power supply and SATA and attach it to the MacMini and eschew the direct USB approach?

For simplicity sake I was hoping that using the direct USB approach would allow me to eliminate a computer (in this case a Mac Mini). But am somewhat worried about placing the external hard drive so close to the renderer.

By the way, have tested the SMS 200 ultra tryptich package and it beats Sonore, Melco and Aurender (including N10) in my system (a MSB + Raidho set up).

Pedro

When you see that it beats Sonore are you talking about the microRendu or the ultraRendu?

11 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I was assuming that you were talking about the microRendu as it would be almost silly for you to almost simultaneously invest money in an SoTM trifecta AND an ultraRendu.

I did not buy the MicroRendu. It was borrowed from a friend. The Melco and the Aurender (both X100 and N10) belonged to dealers. 

I thought that the SMS 200 was quite better than MicroRendu by the way. Have no idea how much the gap the UltraRendu closed. Also things might sound different on your system. I had not committed any money before my purchase and could afford all the solutions so was not under any confirmation bias pressure. Also I don't care about looks or apparent build quality. Just sound.

My key concern now is my SSD decision.

2 hours ago, Pedro123 said:

Pedro

I received my SMS 200 ultra + SPS 500 about a week ago.  Right now I'm using my old Seagate external drive connected directly to the SMS 200ultra and it sounds good.  I'm going to order either a Samsung T5 portable SSD or Samsung 850 PRO Internal SSD.  Probably I'll end up buying the Samsung Pro SSD so I can use it with a QNAP Ts-251, a dock with external power adapter, or a Sonictransporter down the road.  I can't give you any advise regarding the SQ differences with different setups but check out this thread.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/116324-laptop-replacement-sotm-sms-200-impressions/

1 hour ago, michal1 said:

I received my SMS 200 ultra + SPS 500 about a week ago.  Right now I'm using my old Seagate external drive connected directly to the SMS 200ultra and it sounds good.  I'm going to order either a Samsung T5 portable SSD or Samsung 850 PRO Internal SSD.  Probably I'll end up buying the Samsung Pro SSD so I can use it with a QNAP Ts-251, a dock with external power adapter, or a Sonictransporter down the road.  I can't give you any advise regarding the SQ differences with different setups but check out this thread.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/116324-laptop-replacement-sotm-sms-200-impressions/

Thanks. Interesting thread!

9 hours ago, Pedro123 said:

Pedro

I can thoroughly recommend the direct USB approach using a self powered HDD dock.  In my own circumstance I can send music via ethernet to the sMS-200 from my office PC using JRiver but this does not sound as good as the direct USB connection.  I use MPD and Soundirok on my iPad to access my hard disc music library on the sMS-200.  Keeping any other computer out of the system sounds the best to me and proximity of the dock to the sMS-200 is not an issue.

My current setup consists of the following.

Western Digital WD30PURxX 3Tb Hard Drive in a Unitek Hard Drive docking station:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/262689747742?chn=ps&dispItem=1     (I actually have 2 WD hard drives so I can clone one as a backup using the docking station).

Zerozone 12V 5A Power supply:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/100VA-DC24V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-for-audio-amp-display-/322110168168?hash=item4aff431c68:g:SBYAAOSwdV1XOTla

Curious USB Cable (500mm) to sMS-200 which is powered using a Optima Yellow Top 12V battery.

I haven't had a chance to try the SPS-500 power supply yet but the battery does a great job (including galvanic isolation).

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:44 AM, ClothEars said:

I can thoroughly recommend the direct USB approach using a self powered HDD dock.  In my own circumstance I can send music via ethernet to the sMS-200 from my office PC using JRiver but this does not sound as good as the direct USB connection.  I use MPD and Soundirok on my iPad to access my hard disc music library on the sMS-200.  Keeping any other computer out of the system sounds the best to me and proximity of the dock to the sMS-200 is not an issue.

My current setup consists of the following.

Western Digital WD30PURxX 3Tb Hard Drive in a Unitek Hard Drive docking station:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/262689747742?chn=ps&dispItem=1     (I actually have 2 WD hard drives so I can clone one as a backup using the docking station).

Zerozone 12V 5A Power supply:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/100VA-DC24V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-for-audio-amp-display-/322110168168?hash=item4aff431c68:g:SBYAAOSwdV1XOTla

Curious USB Cable (500mm) to sMS-200 which is powered using a Optima Yellow Top 12V battery.

I haven't had a chance to try the SPS-500 power supply yet but the battery does a great job (including galvanic isolation).

I have same results here with other renderer.

I am running the HQ Player NAA on my sMS-200 Ultra, but from time to time it will freeze up. I first noticed this behaviour when I left the system playing overnight to burn in some other components. Now it does it on semi-regular basis, forcing me to reboot the sMS-200 and once again activating the HQ Player NAA. Has anybody else experienced similar behaviour?

I have also played through Roon Ready and there it functions flawlessly if I leave it playing overnight.

On 2017-09-21 at 3:27 PM, Pedro123 said:

Pedro

Have you tried with the SMS Ultra only in your system and how much do you think the tx-USBultra ads to the mix?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Not a technical question but did anybody receive a full manual for the ultra specific to the ultra? On SOtM's homepage, I can only see the full manual for the SMS-200 and one-page user guide only for the ultra.

I just purchased the SMS-200 Ultra with the Dlink.  To Zoltan's point, there is no manual or information on how to connect my equipment.  I have a DAC, Roon running off a laptop and a portable USB Hard Drive.  Not clear on how to connect everything.  Is there a better or best way to connect it all?

On 01/10/2017 at 12:34 PM, octaviars said:

Have you tried with the SMS Ultra only in your system and how much do you think the tx-USBultra ads to the mix?

The dealer did not have the Y cable to connect the tx-USB ultra and so I had to wait for a few days with just the SMS 200 ultra plus the SPS 500. The sound does improve with the tx-USBultra. Can recommend.

On the other hand, still have not been able to add an external HD directly to the SMS 200 ultra. Tried Kinsky/Lumin/Kazoo and tried using DLNA as well as BubbleUPNP, but to no avail. Still waiting to hear from my dealer and from May at SOtM.

Right now I work it with SSD attached to the MacMini and with Audinirvana. Sounds nice, but would like to see if I could get around eliminating a computer (i.e. the Mac Mini) and just use the Linux based SMS 200 ultra.

For whatever reason, with the direct connection, the SMS 200 shows up, but not the external hard drive does not appear in none of the control software with my iPad.

Dont know what I am doing wrong, have ticked the samba option. We shall see...

@Pedro123

This is what I do.  Run MPD/DLNA in Eunhasu and have the library configuration as below.

LibrarySetup.thumb.jpg.c4aaf063ec9862a4e01fe28384a2ea3c.jpg

I use "Soundirok" app for iPhone/iPad which is a great MPD controller. I found the others a bit flaky.

In the Soundirok settings ensure the device settings are similar to the photo below.

IMG_0637s.thumb.JPG.2eb27d03a9024af82c60843081cdcdc0.JPG

Hope that helps as it works a treat!

48 minutes ago, mustafakaiser said:

how do you use Audirvana with the SMS 200Ultra?

Connection wise its : 

Lan Cable into the SMS200Ultra - USB cable from SMS200ULTRA to the txUSBult

I can only use Audinirvana if I use the Mac Mini as a server and not with direct connection.

I have now successfully directly connected my external hard drive and for that I am using Kazoo and Lumin with an iPad.