IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

7 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Depends on you power supply :) A 9v SR7 by Paul Hynes will always sound better than a 12v sPS-500 :)

While I too would expect the same, have you actually made the comparison yourself?

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Just now, AmusedToD said:

Nope, just guessing based on findings by @romaz.

I suspected that..

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

2 hours ago, Emerald Core said:

Was anyone able to compare Sotm Ultra stack Sms+Tx+Sps to Signature Rendu SE ? 

Excellent question.  I have not seen such a report yet.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi everybody,

I'm interested in buying an SOtM sMS-200 Ultra but there is no way I can connect it directly to my router or ethernet jack in the room I'm going to use it.  My options are to either connect it wirelessly or use a Wi-Fi extender with ethernet port.  Does anyone how how is the sound quality when using the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra wirelessly or with the Wi-Fi extender?  And one more question.  Can I use an IPod to control it? Thanks.

On 2017-08-16 at 9:32 PM, ismewor said:

Mine still at break in. I'm hopping it improve more after 200hrs.

Got mine sPS-500 to my 200 Ultra now. But already after 30 minutes listening there are an increased SQ! Better and more exact bass, more transparency...more report will follow after more listening!

Analog: Michell Enginering Orbe/SME309/Micro Benz Wood->Trigon Advanced riaa

Digital: mac mini/Roon/NUC ROCK->sMS-200 Ultra/sPS-500->Bryston BDA-3

Amps: Mark Levinson No 326S & Classé CA-2300

Speaker: B&W802D2 & Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra
Cables: VdH, Supra, Ghent Audio, AQ
Other: SMT Wings and Golden Horn, Sound of Science panels.

2 hours ago, Lassej said:

Got mine sPS-500 to my 200 Ultra now. But already after 30 minutes listening there are an increased SQ! Better and more exact bass, more transparency...more report will follow after more listening!

What power supply for 200-ultra did you use before the sps-500?

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

9 hours ago, michal1 said:

Hi everybody,

I'm interested in buying an SOtM sMS-200 Ultra but there is no way I can connect it directly to my router or ethernet jack in the room I'm going to use it.  My options are to either connect it wirelessly or use a Wi-Fi extender with ethernet port.  Does anyone how how is the sound quality when using the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra wirelessly or with the Wi-Fi extender?  And one more question.  Can I use an IPod to control it? Thanks.

I use a mains circuit ethernet extender to make the connection but I use a HDD in a self powered dock for my music library connected to the sMS-200Ultra via USB.  I find this sounds better than sending the files via ethernet.  

I can't help you with the iPod as I've never used one.

1 hour ago, ClothEars said:

I use a mains circuit ethernet extender to make the connection but I use a HDD in a self powered dock for my music library connected to the sMS-200Ultra via USB.  I find this sounds better than sending the files via ethernet.  

I can't help you with the iPod as I've never used one.

Thanks.  I think that would work for me.  I need it just for my bedside table setup (pic attached):  I've been using a 128GB Ipod connected to a Chord 2qute DAC (powered by 2 Uptone LPS-1 in series) via lighting to USB Camera Adapter/USB Heimdall2 cable, and connected to a Decware CSP3 OTL Amp.   The IPod has started randomly pausing during songs.  I'm on the iOS 11 public beta now but there is no improvement. So, I was thinking about buying a new DAP supporting USB audio out but I have found that probably  the sMS-200Ultra would be much better solution for me and based on some posts it would sound better than any other transport.  

P1020412_zpszhukio5t.jpg

22 hours ago, michal1 said:

Hi everybody,

I am admittedly a novice but I cannot see how an ipod could control this.  Maybe an ipod could act as a hard drive but I note the sms-200 says it needs an exFat format drive if you are going to connect a drive to it.

Where were you thinking your music would be housed?  Are you going to have it on your network somewhere say a NAS or your computer hard drive.  With this device I think you are looking at either that setup or an external drive attached to the sms-200, then controlled with a mobile app connected via wifi if you are in a different room than the computer.

13 minutes ago, bmoregnr said:

I am admittedly a novice but I cannot see how an ipod could control this.  Maybe an ipod could act as a hard drive but I note the sms-200 says it needs an exFat format drive if you are going to connect a drive to it.

Where were you thinking your music would be housed?  Are you going to have it on your network somewhere say a NAS or your computer hard drive.  With this device I think you are looking at either that setup or an external drive attached to the sms-200, then controlled with a mobile app connected via wifi if you are in a different room than the computer.

As ClothEars suggested the best solution for me is to just connect an external drive to it.  I've done some research and I think that I plugplayer or mpod applications will allow remote access for playing music using the Ipod.

17 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

What power supply for 200-ultra did you use before the sps-500?

First the original wallmart and then ifi ipower. sPS is a huge step in sq.

1 minute ago, Lassej said:

Firt the original wallmart and then ifi ipower. sPS is a huge step in sq.

Almost anything is better than iFi iPower.  Not recommended.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

22 hours ago, Lassej said:

Congrats, and mine is getting better and better. I have it run as an NAA feeding through my Custom Server. 

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

On 2017-08-30 at 7:52 PM, ismewor said:

Congrats, and mine is getting better and better. I have it run as an NAA feeding through my Custom Server. 

Thanks! Around 50 hours now and I had some time to listen to more different kind of music and I am really impressed! To be honest I didn't really believe that a better psu could have such an impact of the sound quality. But I was wrong. I thought that the 200 Ultra as an endpoint to roon on my mac mini was one or two step up in sq compared to my Bryston BDP-2 but with the sPS-500 I got even more and better sq. The first impressions are still there. Especially the bass is more precise and the total sound picture is more clear. Impressive! 

18 hours ago, Lassej said:

Thanks! Around 50 hours now and I had some time to listen to more different kind of music and I am really impressed! To be honest I didn't really believe that a better psu could have such an impact of the sound quality. But I was wrong. I thought that the 200 Ultra as an endpoint to roon on my mac mini was one or two step up in sq compared to my Bryston BDP-2 but with the sPS-500 I got even more and better sq. The first impressions are still there. Especially the bass is more precise and the total sound picture is more clear. Impressive! 

If all goes well my sPS-500 and 200 Ultra will arrive Monday. (using an sMS-200 now)

If you are using the standard DC cable of the sPS-500, there's still something to be gained replacing it by a star quad cable.

There's also an extra LPS-1 underway so that I can do a direct comparison between the LPS-1 and sPS-500. This I will only do when I have a star quad cable for the sPS-500. (I still, have to order it). I hope Ghent Audio makes them.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:03 PM, michal1 said:

Hi everybody,

If you haven't already, take a look at  this thread.  Read the comments section where there are real experiences from people.  I personally have no opinions on this subject.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

52 minutes ago, jaspal kallar said:

If you haven't already, take a look at  this thread.  Read the comments section where there are real experiences from people.  I personally have no opinions on this subject.

Thanks for the link. :) 

When connecting sOtM sMS-200 ultra to the Wi-Fi extender ethernet port will it be any difference in SQ if adding the ethernet switch mod?

I am curious, recognizing everything matters on some level, if you are using a usb drive attached to the sms-200/ultra, does your ethernet connection--assuming it is stable-- theoretically matter as much as the usb drive connection?  Is that ethernet connection more just providing the control signals and the usb drive connection matters more in that configuration?