IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

I think so, which is why I'm discussing this here. We need to be honest with ourselves about how we each make decisions. I've thought "wouldn't it be cool if I could make a DAC with an automatic phase error measurement system that could tell us when different tweaks had different effects" but y'now at the end of the day I don't think very many people would actually buy it, and likely not enough to go to the effort of commercializing --I don't underestimate that work ;) 

Proof that great minds think alike!: x-D

John has come up with a method (I don't recall the tech details, think it was power supply related) for a circuit in a DAC to allow the dialing up and down of phase noise--specifically for lots of people to test their sensitivity to such.  He proposed putting it in an inexpensive DAC design (one that would sound quite good anyway).   It would be interesting, but I'm not in a rush to put such into production.  

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

if a double blind test is needed to determine which is better....it's not worth the upgrade and really is not needed.

If something is worthy of an upgrade, it will smack you in the face.

Easily the most spot on post in today's arguments here!  

(Also the entire reason why our products have been so successful--with zero advertising and near zero returns.)

5 hours ago, plissken said:

I agree. When someone says 'Night and Day', 'Easy to Discern', 'Readily Apparent' those are easy to spot. Blinded.

Finally, something we can agree on!  B|

As can virtually all the people who are reporting about our products:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31877-iso-regen-listening-impressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/?do=findComment&comment=678859

Shall I await your next retort about how I should invite you or Amir into my home?  Or Jinjuku (I think that is your name over at ASR), will you just run over and start another nasty thread about me?

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/alex-of-uptone-hypocrisy-unbounded.1739/

18 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Actually the word I should have used is pattern recognition.

Pattern matching dictates that what we are looking for is either here or not and might not be accurate.. Like a baby wanting to suck on a nipple and instead is given a pacifier. Its matches but its not the same thing as a mothers nipple.

Oh okay. Now it finally makes sense why I prefer speakers that use that Scanspeak nipple tweeter! x-D

r2604_8320.thumb.jpg.1b8c72e1a1f70428c2da8c5bb07ad14b.jpg

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

The bottom line still being that sighted human opinions and judgement is next to useless unless they can be substantiated with either measurement, or under blind bias controlled conditions.

What about when the differences are obvious?

And then what about two people listening and one of them is a musician who can tell the difference between two brands of trumpets on the recording?  Is that person's judgment only valid if it can be "substantiated with either measurement, or under blind bias controlled conditions"?

As much as I dislike you Sal--for all the snide things you have said about me (here and elsewhere, your most recent calling me the "Top 10 Audio Snake Oil Salesperson Of The Year")--I ask this question in earnest, not just to you, but the group.

That is: Who decides where to draw the line with regards to what differences can be heard and what can not?  There are a bunch of active, very serious threads going on right now here at CA where a host of people are comparing a variety of interface chains--with products that run from better clocks or offer better signal integrity in various ways.  Take a look at the quite in-depth reporting going on here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=686596

There you see a group of rather sober people spending real money on a range of products that are not stones in a box.  A good part of what they are hearing is likely variations in jitter and leakage current loops between gear.  

Admittedly, some people would not be able to hear all the differences between the permutations they are experimenting with.  But none of the products they are playing with are snake oil, and just because those individuals are using their ears (instead of an arsenal of test equipment they neither have nor which has been proven to be effective at identifying and correlating what they readily hear), they can no more be dismissed than the trumpeter who identifies a trumpet or the birder who recognizes a call.

I'm sorry that not all of you can hear the sorts of things that are apparent to others.  But I can assure you that if you walk into a room at a show (or at a dealership or a friend's house) and hear great sound, the components in that system were designed and refined through a long process of measure and listen.  

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

It's a strong and quotable statement from the first volume of his Popular Lectures. Thanks for introducing it.

Uncle Martin is Martin Heidegger. Quote is from his Memorial Address. His essay "The Question Concerning Technology" takes up this concern in depth.

Thanks for clarifying that for us non-philosophy/science nerds.  9_9

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Like when I was helping straighten out some bad sound at a strip club once.

Now those are some serious hardcore audiophile bonafides.  Dude goes to a strip club, and what doese he do?  Helps them improve their sound system!

I'm sure the other patrons were very appreciative Dennis, but I hope you were not disappointed when they declined to participate in a "blind" test.  Not what they were there for!  

:P

21 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

You mean you can't hear ABing. There are a lot of folks, including me, who would have zero problems identifying your Infinitys vs a boombox 100% 5/5, 10/10 which was playing in an blind AB test. When the differences are that large...and real.

But multiple times earlier you said that you don't do blind tests AJ.  You said you don't have to because you trust your ears.  

Yet when others (like me) tell you they do A/B tests (for far subtler things than speakers!), you dismiss them as being delusional about what they hear.  I smell a double-standard there...^_^

By the way, in working on a new product, this weekend I was A/B/B-ing the difference between two values of a tiny 0402 capacitor (that's 1/4 the size of a grain of rice).  One was 1.0uF and the other 4.7V--and the application is just as a 2mm distant power supply bypass for the 1.2V feed to a USB hub chip.  Can't think of what bench measurement would show the difference (remember--the whole product is the sort the non-engineer "objectivists" deny makes any difference), but it took all of about 15 seconds for me to know which one sounded better.  I wen't back and forth a few times as usual to eliminate "memory error" (you know, ear/brain focus on one thing one time and something else the next), and the same version won out.

Which one?  Well I had to open the cases to pull the boards and look. (One case has a scratch on it so I did not get mixed up during A/B/A/B). So I essentially created a semi-blind test. 

Okay, you can go ahead and spin away with whatever denialist contradictory logic suits you. But what I have been doing here is about the same as what goes on in the offices and studios of hi-end audio manufacturers worldwide.  Measure and listen. They go hand in hand until you can't measure what you can hear.  (Of course it helps to have a good room, system, and trained ears.)  :D