IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

4 hours ago, semente said:

From over a decade participating in web forums I don't doubt that "many untrained listeners find difficult to describe" frequency response; that probably also explains the large amount of "unflat" response speakers which are popular with audiophiles.

But "difficult to describe" also might explain why some people can't relate spatial or tonal problems with frequency response, or pinpoint what is wrong with their system/gear (making upgrades difficult and erratic).

Most people only report tonal differences in the top or bottom of the spectrum when changing gear (or even cables) because these are obvious.

Frequency response aberrations are like colour inaccuracies with TVs or displays; if audiophiles don't worry about this then in my view they have the wrong priorities

Here is the answer: https://www.britannica.com/topic/projection-psychology

The typical audiophile evidence averse retort to why they are deaf to gross tonal coloration, is "Because "most" people are". 

You can't make this stuff up :)

45 minutes ago, Jud said:

And perhaps the visitors to Procrustes’ inn all ought to learn how to fit into the one bed? ;)

Toole and Olive take a sonic characteristic to which most people are relatively insensitive, frequency response over the entirety of the audible spectrum; they as engineers feel people ought to be sensitive to it; and so they train people to be more sensitive to it.  In the process they also are training the same listeners *not* to prioritize characteristics to which people are immediately sensitive, such as phase linearity, with the role it plays in the fundamental auditory function of locating sounds.  Having changed the way people listen from normal, they then designate the result an improvement.  And some folks are even of the opinion *everyone* ought to learn to listen abnormally, since this would make them smarter. :) 

I would say that the bold bits are a tad far fetched.

Currently there is only a handful of "conventional" (cones and domes) hi-fi loudspeaker manufacturers producing phase linear speakers.

The rest don't seem to find that the drawbacks occurring from using first-order crossovers outweigh the benefits.

45 minutes ago, Jud said:

I am thinking if engineers were able to make designs that were more sophisticated than our level of knowledge and technology currently allows, they would be able to design speakers that reproduce the key characteristics of reality as people actually hear it, rather than taking what we currently know and are able to build and training people to think of it as accurate.

I agree with this bit: the best loudspeaker should produce a flat frequency response on-axis and a smooth one off-axis (controlled directivity) and be time/phase aligned and linear at both high and low SPLs but, to my knowledge, it just can't be done with the present technology.

And these are the ones we have to live with.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

22 minutes ago, mmerrill99 said:

I'm pretty sure they also did this test with only one speaker & not two channel stereo?

It looks like that from most photos available online:

AlexMillerMLLRevelLarge.png

And this video:

But I think it makes sense: to assess sound quality you need to focus on sound reproduction, not on spatial reproduction.

2 minutes ago, 4est said:

Guilty perhaps, but it does not belie my point. If you are this wealth of knowledge, how about some in lieu of all the negativity?

I make no claim of knowledge wealth, but if you're asking something specific, please do. This loaded fallacy thread has meandered quite a bit.

How to cobble speakers together, or...??

26 minutes ago, 4est said:

I cannot see how this could be doing your business any favors

Lavry, Benchmark, JRiver, Harman, and to an extent Schiit (regarding SDM and DSD) make use of marketing styles that share some aspects of this.  We see it not just in audio, but everywhere: “I will strip away the fluff and misdirection and show you things as they really are.”  

I’m reasonably sure these folks, including AJ and Harman, believe this is absolutely what they are doing, and I will also say unless there *was* fluff and misdirection people would not be so receptive to this message.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, semente said:

It looks like that from most photos available online:

AlexMillerMLLRevelLarge.png

There are other pictures with the stereo shuffler, so they can do both (and MCH too).

The fact is that they found the speakers that "won" in mono correlated well to winning in stereo, so mono was more efficient. I thought it was complete BS..until I tested it myself :)

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

"disappears and leaves the music for you to enjoy" sounds transparent to me ;)

Every electronic component: resistors, capacitors, transformers, transistors have "electronic signatures" i.e. measureable non-linearities. Thus each component has a "sound". In his description of the M2 the "sound" is ascribed to the transformer but many amps have transformers so isn't this generally useful info? The goal of ultimate transparency involves tradeoffs. Yes, these tradeoffs can be described as "not transparent" to a degree. So which "non transparencies" are important? What are the best tradeoffs?

The FirstWatt line is designed to be low power (as opposed to the main Pass Labs offerings). Thats why I am comparing two of these similar designs. You have suggested that the M2 is better than the J2 because it has more power, but there is also the issue of the transformer and its characteristics, so perhaps the J2 has advantages in other regards. These are competing factors. This makes an absolute judgement of relative transparency difficult.

What I am suggesting is that measurements can help but not (alone) answer that question ... and yes, each amplifier in existence has its own sonic signature determined by the non-linearities in its components.

The same is valid for listening.

Depending on the listener's experience of both live and of reproduced sound as well as his taste in sound, a report describing an amplifier that "disappears and leaves the music for you to enjoy" can be more or less meaningful.

To be honest I am always sceptical of reports that talk about enjoying the music, an expression that also comes up in discussions involving measurements and poor technical performance.

And if soundstage is mentioned in the first couple of paragraphs I just stop reading.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

And perhaps the visitors to Procrustes’ inn all ought to learn how to fit into the one bed? ;)

Toole and Olive take a sonic characteristic to which most people are relatively insensitive, frequency response over the entirety of the audible spectrum; they as engineers feel people ought to be sensitive to it; and so they train people to be more sensitive to it.  In the process they also are training the same listeners *not* to prioritize characteristics to which people are immediately sensitive, such as phase linearity, with the role it plays in the fundamental auditory function of locating sounds.  Having changed the way people listen from normal, they then designate the result an improvement.  And some folks are even of the opinion *everyone* ought to learn to listen abnormally, since this would make them smarter. :) 

I am thinking if engineers were able to make designs that were more sophisticated than our level of knowledge and technology currently allows, they would be able to design speakers that reproduce the key characteristics of reality as people actually hear it, rather than taking what we currently know and are able to build and training people to think of it as accurate.

WOW!!  Way to mischaracterize something!

Regarding the transparency of Pass designs, Nelson is also stating that the sonic signature of the M2 is more transparent, not less, at least in some ways.

Part of this is due to the limited bandwidth of transformers, and part of it is the lack of feedback artifacts.

2 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Regarding the transparency of Pass designs, Nelson is also stating that the sonic signature of the M2 is more transparent, not less, at least in some ways.

Part of this is due to the limited bandwidth of transformers, and part of it is the lack of feedback artifacts.

Yes I've considered using it as the output stage of a DAC ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

"disappears and leaves the music for you to enjoy" sounds transparent to me ;)

Every electronic component: resistors, capacitors, transformers, transistors have "electronic signatures" i.e. measureable non-linearities. Thus each component has a "sound". In his description of the M2 the "sound" is ascribed to the transformer but many amps have transformers so isn't this generally useful info? The goal of ultimate transparency involves tradeoffs. Yes, these tradeoffs can be described as "not transparent" to a degree. So which "non transparencies" are important? What are the best tradeoffs?

The FirstWatt line is designed to be low power (as opposed to the main Pass Labs offerings). Thats why I am comparing two of these similar designs. You have suggested that the M2 is better than the J2 because it has more power, but there is also the issue of the transformer and its characteristics, so perhaps the J2 has advantages in other regards. These are competing factors. This makes an absolute judgement of relative transparency difficult.

What I am suggesting is that measurements can help but not (alone) answer that question ... and yes, each amplifier in existence has its own sonic signature determined by the non-linearities in its components.

In context of everything he said, no he isn't even claiming transparency.  Especially as sins of omission can be ignored whiles sin of commission in audio gear can't.  He is simply saying despite the limits it could disappear and be musically enjoyable. 

While any stage may have non-linearities not all puncture transparency.  Some do, some don't.  Going from .000005% distortion to .00005% is not going to be heard.  Going from flat response to being 3 db down at 20 hz and 20 khz might not be heard in isolation and with some music though it can be heard as lacking compared to flat response. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

58 minutes ago, Kimo said:

I am still trying to figure out in what world limited bandwidth, described by the designer as part and parcel of a sonic character indicates transparency.  Now low gain, low bandwidth amplifiers similar to these two can have difficulties with feedback causing problems.   So he wisely avoided enough feedback or any feedback (one uses some and one uses none) in a range that causes audible problems that would not sound okay.  The part you excerpted was where he was saying the sound shares characteristics associated with transformers and tubes.  Just after saying it has a lush warm character.  Again, Nelson Pass isn't claiming transparency for these designs.  He is claiming a highly musical enjoyable character.  Given the design and the specs that is exactly what I would expect.   A warm enjoyable sound as he has carefully removed any warts that would disrupt that character.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

35 minutes ago, esldude said:

In context of everything he said, no he isn't even claiming transparency.

Exactly. Is there a purely objective definition of transparency that you are using? What is it  and how does it compare for the amps in question?

"transparency" is a descriptive term.

No one ever claimed perfect transparency as if this were a binary property. My point all along has been that measurements alone have a difficult time determining sonic accuracy.

Every amp has its own sonic signature and no amp is perfectly transparent (and  there are no perfect measurements)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.