IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

If someone is on a budget the USBridge is an absolute no brainer.  From what I hear, even if someone isn't it's a no brainer.  

#shocked

#notwhatiexpected

#cantwaitforobjectivetest

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

2 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

If someone is on a budget the USBridge is an absolute no brainer.

How does the sound quality compare to sMS-200 or microRendu?  How much Linux knowledge do you need to get it working?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

How does the sound quality compare to sMS-200 or microRendu?  How much Linux knowledge do you need to get it working?

I don't have a µRendu here to try but replaced it with the sMS.  The sMS is a stellar unit for sure.  I can't say that I feel as though I'm missing anything with the USBridge though but haven't gone back to the sMS either.  I'm really wanting to get through all the little things with the USBridge first.  No knowledge is needed as they deliver them ready to go now. Plug 'em in and they work!  

The only issue I'm having is that within Roon I'll lose the USBridge and am forced to unplug the power and it will be fine.  It's occasional though.  I'm hoping that @allo.com can somehow help with this whether it's a log report or something.  I've NEVER had this issue with the sMS and my network is very reliable using the Eero network so I know that's not the issue.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

3 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I don't have a µRendu here to try but replaced it with the sMS.  The sMS is a stellar unit for sure.  I can't say that I feel as though I'm missing anything with the USBridge though but haven't gone back to the sMS either.  I'm really wanting to get through all the little things with the USBridge first.  No knowledge is needed as they deliver them ready to go now. Plug 'em in and they work!  

The only issue I'm having is that within Roon I'll lose the USBridge and am forced to unplug the power and it will be fine.  It's occasional though.  I'm hoping that @allo.com can somehow help with this whether it's a log report or something.  I've NEVER had this issue with the sMS and my network is very reliable using the Eero network so I know that's not the issue.  

Are you running Volumio or DietPi?

Also, any thoughts vs your memory of the Auralic Aries?

Just now, mikey8811 said:

Are you running Volumio or DietPi?

Also, any thoughts vs your memory of the Auralic Aries?

DietPi is the way to go from what I've been told so that's what I did.  

I no longer have the ARIES but do have the ARIES MINI.  I'm totally hooked on Roon and that's all I use and quite frankly like these streamers the best.  

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

Jason,

With your unit did you go into the menu to enable Roon as an endpioint, or did it come pre-configured for that?

No sir, literally out of the box, plug the card into it, plug the USB cable into the wrong port (;-)), plug the Ethernet cable in and plug power in.  That's it!  Showed up in Roon below within a few minutes.  

USBridge.png

Just now, jtwrace said:

DietPi is the way to go from what I've been told so that's what I did.  

I no longer have the ARIES but do have the ARIES MINI.  I'm totally hooked on Roon and that's all I use and quite frankly like these streamers the best.  

By these streamers you like the best you mean the Aries Mini if one were to use Roon?

What about for a non Roon user just based on sound quality?

3 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I can't say that I feel as though I'm missing anything with the USBridge though but haven't gone back to the sMS either.

Thanks.  I'll continue to monitor this thread for feedback from others.  This is really interesting and I have to learn more about it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, mikey8811 said:

By these streamers you like the best you mean the Aries Mini if one were to use Roon?

What about for a non Roon user just based on sound quality?

Sorry for the confusion.  If you're not a Roon user or JRiver (DLNA) user I suppose the ARIES or ARIES MINI would be a great solution.  Roon is 100% stable though and I just love it.  

If you use JRiver with one of these devices in DLNA mode you're not giving anything up I don't think.  I've done it many times and it sounds fine to me. 

Does that help?

Just now, rickca said:

Thanks.  I'll continue to monitor this thread for feedback from others.  This is really interesting and I have to learn more about it.

I'd have no issue buying another (or two) and doing a tour with them but I'm not so sure that it would be good given the slight technical part of it.  In the past when I did amp tours, it's pretty easy...plug it in and that's it.  If someone hasn't gone through the setup the first time previously it can get to be a bit much and with these tours a couple days is all you can do as they take a while to cycle through 10 people.  It would be cool for CA members though and especially those that don't have the disposable income.  

Here are the amp tours I've done previously with the listening impressions from them:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Listening Impressions

16 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Jason,

sorry for all the pile on questions but:

* what are you using to power the USBBridge, and have/will you try the J28 jumper idea to power both halves at some point?

No need to be sorry....Ask away Ted!

Using stock power supply that comes with the unit. 

I haven't but it's on my list but want to make sure all the little bugs are worked out first.  Also, I'm thinking of what I'll use exactly for excitation.  Personally, I'd like to see @allo.com in the next iteration have an external way of doing this so you remove the jumper but the unit would have another barrel jack.  Also, I'd like to see some test results showing that it's really advantageous.  As you might know, I really like data!  ;-)  

How complicated is the process to update the USBridge with the upcoming new release? My Sparky/USBridge just shipped, and I want to make sure I have the DSD256 capability, as well as the other fixes.

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

Great! Looking forward to it!

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

18 hours ago, allo.com said:

Patch was applied , Amanero board connected and shows 256/512  DSD ready.

We are testing the audio quality up to 256 today. (limit of our DAC) and will report back

Great!  Looking forward to trying this.  Thanks for the quick response to making this happen!  

13 hours ago, allo.com said:

Another short update, we are also fixing a few bugs in the new release (like losing network connection once in a while )

Dan and our team are working on it.

This is also great news as I've had this issue very intermittently and was on my action item list.  Glad to hear I can cross it off.  

Will the update auto update?

I have now had my USBridge for three weeks, running with DietPi. I have also had an UltraRendu for two weeks and I have had the ability to compare them in my two setups. I have powered the USBridge (J28 config) and UltraRendu with my Uptone UltraCap LPS-1.  The USB cable I have used is the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7. My kitchen setup is a pair of KEF LS-50 Wireless and my main system is a pair of MBL 116 powered with MBL amps and a Brooklyn DAC. 

Let me begin by saying that both units are good and both made my 2012 tweaked MacMini look bad. The difference I can hear between the units is very small, which is obviously a huge deal considering the price difference between the units. Having said this I do think the UltraRendu is slightly better.  The difference is more notable in my MBL system but one can hear it in the KEF system as well. The UltraRendu is just a little more black in the background. As an example on the first disc of the ASM35 Collection - Violin Concerto No.3 In G, K.216, 1st movement Adagio at approximately 4.28 in, there is a small background noise in the orchestra and with the UltraRendu I found it easier to pick out what it was.  

I think this is a fantastic result for the Allo USBridge! I will definitely keep it to run with my KEFs. There are a few stability issues that have been pointed out earlier, I hope to see those fixed but a reboot has worked so far. Sometimes with Roon I also get a gap in playback a second into a song which never happens on the UltraRendu or my MacMini. My final complaint is the plastic case, please Allo provide an option for a better case :-) 

When I ordered my USBridge I made a mistake and ordered with Volumio, which does not work with Roon on the Sparky platform (yet), so I had to change to DietPi. 

Hi,

we are working as fast we we can on the new image . A real team effort .

Dan has updates the OS to Stretch . We are turning off the GPU for less noise and power requirements . DSD patch was applied .

Please have a bit more patience , we want to do it right.