IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

39 minutes ago, H-Man said:

Sure, here is some very quick feedback:

I could not really say anything about SQ as there are a few stability issues. It booted up fine and doing the dietpi-config worked without any issues and the USB output recognized the KEF DAC. Installation of Roon endpoint and Shairport worked. Then we get to the problems: I use DSP changes in Roon between some of my evaluation tracks. Playback started fine but when I changed DSP settings on the Roon server there was a complete hang  on the dietpi and the only way to get back was a power cycle, as reboot from ssh console did not work. 

I still have the playback gap a second into playing new selected tracks (i.e. not qued tracks) when using roon. Shairport I only had time for a qucick test and it seemed to work. I might get some more time tonight for further tests. 

/Henrik

Ok I sent the feedback to them team , will look into the DSP changes and how it affects DietPI

Please leave feedback  after your testing.

1 hour ago, volpone said:

Hi Johan, 

• I perfectly understand new OS is not auto-updating from the original DietPi but i hope that, from now, with the new kernel, it will autoupdate. Confirmation ?
  •    I will get confirmation from our team, but that is our goal.
  • OK if new kernel is patched for DSD DACs and good if you successfully tried with native DSD 256, but i hope you will manage to get compatible DAC to also test DSD 512 !
  • DSD 512 Dac on the way..

From the software side (DietPi, ALSA ... ) i’ve no doubt it is, or will be, DSD512 compatible but i would like to confirm Sparky / USBridge HW is OK too. 
  • Agreed , we need to test. However the USB lanes are separated from Ethernet ..so 256 no problem , 512 we will confirm.

• Patiently waiting for the alu case to order ...

Thank’s for your work.

1 minute ago, allo.com said:

Ok I sent the feedback to them team , will look into the DSP changes and how it affects DietPI

Please leave feedback  after your testing.

What i changed in the DSP settings was the Sample Rate Conversion, going from Max PCM rate to For Compatibility Only.

Just now, allo.com said:

We have both eMMC and SD ...+ extra USB ports.

I know, that is why I proposed it. But it also requires ability to change boot pointers etc. So the process would be: Download and flash unused storage -> reboot on the flashed storage -> flash the "old" boot storage -> reboot

3 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Was it higher than 384Khz ? (sorry I just realized that you changed to "For compatibility only)

Are you playing DSD native ?

No it was FLAC at 192, 96 and 44.1. I want to use upsampling on the 44.1 and not on 96 or 192, which is why I change.  

I have had a little extra time on my coffee brake to play around with the updated image. For other interested people I would consider staying on the previous image if you use Roon with DSP settings until the bugs are worked out. I can work around this issue since I also have the UltraRendu and can use it's DLNA/UPnP Bridge straight to my KEFs. 

As stated earlier the Sparky completely hangs when you change the DSP setting in Roon. It does not matter if you go up or down. The funny thing is that at first it looks like it works but when you hear the music it is like playing a 45 RPM LP on 33 1/3 RPM :-)then after a few seconds it hangs. 

I can not really make a new and fair SQ test with the UltraRendu until these stability issues are worked out. 

6 hours ago, allo.com said:

Yes you can run both LMS and Squeezelite in USBridge .

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Does running both LMS and Squeezelite on the USBridge tax the processing power and compromise sound quality vs just running Squeezelite on the USBridge and LMS on the computer?

55 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Does running both LMS and Squeezelite on the USBridge tax the processing power and compromise sound quality vs just running Squeezelite on the USBridge and LMS on the computer?

Hi Mickey

there is plenty of processing power with a quad core processor. I don't have an exact number while running both but its very low (under 9% cpu). No the audio quality wont be compromised by running both vs PC.

1 hour ago, H-Man said:

I have had a little extra time on my coffee brake to play around with the updated image. For other interested people I would consider staying on the previous image if you use Roon with DSP settings until the bugs are worked out. I can work around this issue since I also have the UltraRendu and can use it's DLNA/UPnP Bridge straight to my KEFs. 

As stated earlier the Sparky completely hangs when you change the DSP setting in Roon. It does not matter if you go up or down. The funny thing is that at first it looks like it works but when you hear the music it is like playing a 45 RPM LP on 33 1/3 RPM :-)then after a few seconds it hangs. 

I can not really make a new and fair SQ test with the UltraRendu until these stability issues are worked out. 

We are already working in it.

Upsamplig to 256 DSD with Amanero interfase (DAC Max), Native Mode, really really great sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sorted the upsampling problem found by H-man by turning on Headroom - play - stop -turn off headroom - turn on SRC 7th Order Linear Phase- play - Voila!!!

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

4 hours ago, juliocat said:

Upsamplig to 256 DSD with Amanero interfase (DAC Max), Native Mode, really really great sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sorted the upsampling problem found by H-man by turning on Headroom - play - stop -turn off headroom - turn on SRC 7th Order Linear Phase- play - Voila!!!

Can you share the directions in updating the OS?  I've never done it and would like to do it now.  I can use Mac or W10.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

Can you share the directions in updating the OS?  I've never done it and would like to do it now.  I can use Mac or W10.  

I don´t have an eMMC adapter so i remove it  from the sparky and write the new version in a Class 10 Micro SD 16 GB 

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9#p9

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Just now, juliocat said:

I don´t have an eMMC adapter so i remove from the sparky and write the new version in a Class 10 Micro SD 16 GB 

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9#p9

Removed what?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 minute ago, jtwrace said:

Removed what?

The eMMC memory is under the HDMI connector in the sparky

Just now, jtwrace said:

Then where will that fit?

To write the new Dietpi version on eMMC memory card you need an adapter MTkxNkIzRTAwMENBREFDNEUyM0I6YTFhODk1ODQ4

3 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Oh geez.  Where does one get one of those adapters?  What's it called?  

I don't have one, but you can just remove the eMMC memory card  and write the new version on a micro SD card, the sparky can boot from micro SD or eMMC

2 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Isn't that the thing that comes with the kit?  

The eMMC card comes with the kit, but the eMMC to usb adapter don't

3 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Why can't I use the eMMC adapter that comes with the kit?  Then overwrite the new OS to the current card that I've removed from under the HDMI port?

If you have the adapter the write the new dietpi version on the eMMC card an reinstall it